Lee production pot question... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Lee production pot question...

BSA70
04-22-2011, 15:50
Thinking about ordering a lee production pot. Before I blew $60, I thought I had better ask a question. Currently, I am using an iron frying pan and an electric burner, doing it outside. So far it has worked great for casting ingots. Molt the lead, flux, clean out jackets and pour.

If i remolt the ingots with this set up and pour into the mold, will it give me the same quality bullets that I would get with the production pot? Just wondering how critical the temp setting is because i really dont know what the temp is with my current set up.

So what do you think, Should I spring for the production pot or will my current setup do fine?:cool:

Thanks

vafish
04-22-2011, 15:55
The production pot has an adjustable temperature setting but there is no temperature indicator, you still would need a thermometer. For precise temperature control.

I love my lee pot and the bottom pour is really nice. But it won't melt lead any better then your current set up.

WiskyT
04-22-2011, 15:56
You might be able to do it with what you have, but I couldn't get mine hot enough. At any rate, you will definately be faster with a bottom pour pot. Right now you think it will be great to have 100 free bullets. But once you get into casting, you will get addicted and want to make 500 at a clip. A bottom pour and a 4 or 6 cavity mold will have you making lots of bullets.

Tom in Arizona
04-22-2011, 16:03
I have two of their Production Pots IV's, one for soft lead and one for my alloy.

Work great, no problems with them. I adjust the temp by how the bullets look, no thermometer. Really nice with their six cavity molds.

fredj338
04-22-2011, 16:21
For smelting, the iron pot & outside burner is better than a BP pot IMO. Easier to flux & skim, faster to pour ingots w/ a ladle. Casting, BP all the qay. Don't bother w/ the 10#, get the 20#, well worth the extra few $$. A therm is nice, but cast set between 5-6 after the lead is flowing & that works for most alloys.

BSA70
04-29-2011, 11:46
Well, I bit the bullet:cool: Ordered a production pot from midway. On back order, will have to wait a month:crying:

unclebob
04-29-2011, 11:55
Well, I bit the bullet:cool: Ordered a production pot from midway. On back order, will have to wait a month:crying:

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/8284
In stock.

Tom in Arizona
04-29-2011, 13:09
Often the Lee stuff comes in a lot sooner than they show.

sig357fan
04-29-2011, 18:20
+1 for what was said above.

I went from the fry pan to a 4 lbs. pot to a 20 lbs pot.

I don't know what happened to the fry pan, 4 lbs pot sits empty on the shelf and lately, when I plan a casting session, its usually 2 days on the weekend and I run the 20 lbs. pot for 4 to 6 hour each day.

500 bullets is the minimum that I want in a casting session.

If shooting is stage one of the disease, than reloading is an advanced stage and by the time you start casting, well there just ainít no cure!!

sig357fan

390ish
04-29-2011, 20:29
I run an iron kettle with a 54,000 BTU burner that is good for about 35-40 lbs. Is an ingot making machine, but I start getting heavy oxidation after about 20 minutes. Was thinking about getting an electric set-up for inside casting of the ingots into bullets.

GioaJack
04-29-2011, 20:31
^^^^ You're not fluxing enough. It's like sex... no such thing as too much.

Jack

BSA70
04-30-2011, 09:21
http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/8284
In stock.

Thanks for the link. Don't know why they charge $5 for handeling. I'm sure shipping is atleast and ext $10.

BSA70
04-30-2011, 09:23
+1 for what was said above.

I went from the fry pan to a 4 lbs. pot to a 20 lbs pot.

I don't know what happened to the fry pan, 4 lbs pot sits empty on the shelf and lately, when I plan a casting session, its usually 2 days on the weekend and I run the 20 lbs. pot for 4 to 6 hour each day.

500 bullets is the minimum that I want in a casting session.

If shooting is stage one of the disease, than reloading is an advanced stage and by the time you start casting, well there just ainít no cure!!

sig357fan

Just starting out, all the start up cost, and the time you find out required to spend doing this, it's discouraging. Hopefully, I now have all the equipmetn that i need. 'Maybe it will pay off in a few years:upeyes:

fredj338
04-30-2011, 09:38
Just starting out, all the start up cost, and the time you find out required to spend doing this, it's discouraging. Hopefully, I now have all the equipmetn that i need. 'Maybe it will pay off in a few years:upeyes:
It's actually not that expensive w/ a basic setup: Lee 20# BP pot, 2cav molds, liquid Alox for tumble lubing, maybe $100 max. That is less than 1500 bullets. If you don;t shoot 1500 bullets in a year, then casting isn't saving you a lot, especially if you have to pay for alloy.

WiskyT
04-30-2011, 10:47
Thanks for the link. Don't know why they charge $5 for handeling. I'm sure shipping is atleast and ext $10.

Graffs has free shipping, or at least they did the last time I ordered from them.

fredj338
04-30-2011, 12:31
As WT notes, Graf's prices include shipping & they charge $5 for handling & $25 for HM on primers & powder. When comparing prices, always keep shipping in mind. Some use flat rate USPS & some UPS. FRUSPS is far cheaper but can;t be done w/ primer, powder or ammo.

sig357fan
04-30-2011, 13:33

can't say I see it that way BSA70, to me it's a hobby and any hobby is gonna cost you time and money.

I don't look at reloading and casting as away to save money but rather getting "more bang for my buck".

if I had to buy factory ammo only, I'd shoot alot less....which would give me more time for another hobby........which would cost me time and money....it's a vicious circle.

sig357fan

norton
04-30-2011, 14:10
The nice UPS man delivered my 20# pot from midway yesterday. Guess I got in before they ran out of inventory.