Bullet feeders [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Bullet feeders

Neal
04-22-2011, 18:05
Just wondering about bullet feeders. So far, the information I have read on the RCBS, Hornady, and maybe one other one, say they are intended for jacketed or plated bullets only. So How do the commercial ammo manufacturers of lead bullet ammo do it? Maybe there are big dollar bullet feeders that feed cast or swaged lead bullets, and it's way out of our price range?

labdwakin
04-22-2011, 18:37
I think Jack made his Hornady feeder send lead bullets through... but I could be wrong... Anyhow... yeah... there are ways to make lead bullets feed.

WiskyT
04-22-2011, 18:39
Maybe they use Pro1000's. I think the Lee bullet feeder aint skeered a no lead.

GioaJack
04-22-2011, 19:03
I managed to modify the bullet feeding die on the Hornady to feed 225 grain RN cast bullets. Actually it will feed and .45 configuration cast bullet. It was a matter of using a Dremel to grind down the retaining lip inside the die to accommodate the larger diameter lead bullet. It also requires that you bell/flare the case just a tad more than normal to separate the metal fingers in the die that allows the bullet to drop into the case.

The feed bowl and feed plate is the limiting factor on which bullet design will feed base first into the feed tube. I use a Lyman 452460 mould for my SWC'S. With that particular mould the front driving band is the same diameter as the base so the feed plate is unable to determine what is the front of the bullet and what is the base. There are SWC designs with a more sloping ogive that would probably work without problem.

With the RN I've been getting a very acceptable rate of properly feeding bullets but you do get the occasional one that feeds nose first. Not really a problem since you just pick it off the case and turn it over.

Spraying the feed plate with a short shot of case lube helps the bullets feed into the tube pretty smoothly. I've yet to load hundreds at a time with both the case and bullet feeder but the relatively short runs have so far worked out better than I expected.

Jack

Boxerglocker
04-22-2011, 19:03
I still have a HORANDY bullet feeder set-up in 9mm on my wish list of things I want. Though now, I'm a little skeptical that it would be worth the effort cause it looks like loading Bear Creak molys is gonna work out real good for me and I really will only be using it for less than half my total requirements loading FMJ for my Glocks only.

Neal
04-22-2011, 21:09
Thanks for the replies. Jack, your post was especially enlightening. Thank you.

GioaJack
04-22-2011, 21:23
See, you guys, there's someone here who appreciates me.

You're welcome Neal. Be careful with everyone else around here, they'll lie to ya then lie about lying. :whistling:

Jack

jmorris
04-23-2011, 07:01
I use a GSI feeders with cast bullets, my collators are homemade though.

Neal
04-23-2011, 07:11
I use a GSI feeders with cast bullets, my collators are homemade though.

If you don't mind sharing, I am curious. Which loader, and which cast bullets?
Also, how difficult was it to make a collator that works? Thanks.

Checked the GSI website. Looks like they make them for Blue only.

jmorris
04-24-2011, 10:31
If you don't mind sharing, I am curious. Which loader, and which cast bullets?

Also, how difficult was it to make a collator that works? Thanks.

6 and 10 50's and my own cast bullets. The first I built was my idea of an easy to build MA systems (they are over $1000) and I added a fail safe system that dropped any inverted bullets down a trap door. It was big to swap out from my sizing machine to reloader and now I have made smaller ones that are pretty close to a KISS.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/feeder4.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/feeder2.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/feeder5.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/reloading/bullet%20feeder/feeder1.jpg

Neal
04-24-2011, 11:14
6 and 10 50's and my own cast bullets. The first I built was my idea of an easy to build MA systems (they are over $1000) and I added a fail safe system that dropped any inverted bullets down a trap door. It was big to swap out from my sizing machine to reloader and now I have made smaller ones that are pretty close to a KISS.

Wow! You must be a talented fabricator. Thanks for the pics. :)

GioaJack
04-24-2011, 11:58
jmorris drives us all crazy. People with that degree of talent are an abomination and should be banished to the Oprah forum.

Jack

WiskyT
04-24-2011, 14:18
jmorris drives us all crazy. People with that degree of talent are an abomination and should be banished to the Oprah forum.

Jack

Don't worry, bho and his Tall Poppie plan will grind JMorris and his talent right into the ground.