Thumler brand tumblers? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Thumler brand tumblers?

Ranger9mm
04-23-2011, 07:20
Anyone with experience using them? I know I read a few post's on here but nothing comes up in a search. The idea of not having to deal with separating media turns me on, although I will be the first to admit, I'm easily amused.

IndyGunFreak
04-23-2011, 07:22
What do you mean not deal w/ media?

Are you talking about the rotary tumbler, that allows you to use Liquid? (They make "normal" vibratory tumblers as well).

IGF

Ranger9mm
04-23-2011, 07:47
What do you mean not deal w/ media?

Are you talking about the rotary tumbler, that allows you to use Liquid? (They make "normal" vibratory tumblers as well).

IGF

Yes, the ones that allow you to use liquid.

GioaJack
04-23-2011, 10:19
I have two rotary Thumlers, both are rubber lined, (they were originally designed for tumbling small rocks).

I've never used liquid, never will. I'm a bit confused why you think that filling the tumbler with liquid, tumbling, separating the brass from the liquid then setting the brass aside for what ever period of time to dry is easier and quicker than using dry media?

Jack

BENCH
04-23-2011, 10:58
I agree with Jack.

unclebob
04-23-2011, 11:21
My first tumbler was a rotary Thumler’s tumbler. I never used liquid in it. I sold it and know have a vibratory Thumler’s tumbler Ultra Vibe 18. I have been using that one for about 30 years now. I think if I wanted to do wet cleaning I would get the RCBS one.

Three-Five-Seven
04-23-2011, 18:23
Air tumbler, huh?

ustate
04-23-2011, 20:48
My brother recently bought one and does use liquid in it, along with Lemishine (or something like that) and stainless steel media. He loves it. For the costs of it though I'm happy with using a regular tumbler, I don't need my brass to shine, just want it clean.

fredj338
04-24-2011, 11:45
My first tumbler was a rotary Thumler’s tumbler. I never used liquid in it. I sold it and know have a vibratory Thumler’s tumbler Ultra Vibe 18. I have been using that one for about 30 years now. I think if I wanted to do wet cleaning I would get the RCBS one.
Me too, wore out several of those little drive belts. The UV-18 is a better machine IMO. Mine has been running for almost 20yrs now, no issues. If you want to wet clean, the Hornady unltrasonic is a better mousetrap.

Ranger9mm
04-24-2011, 12:24
My brother recently bought one and does use liquid in it, along with Lemishine (or something like that) and stainless steel media. He loves it. For the costs of it though I'm happy with using a regular tumbler, I don't need my brass to shine, just want it clean.

Yeah i thought i read about some using dish soap and maybe vinegar or what not and just dumping the cases through a strainer and letting them air dry. i mean if you could choose between media and dish soap perhaps the dish soap is cheaper and easier to separate.

Littlemac
04-26-2011, 16:45
I have a Thumber's and use it to ultra clean rifle brass. I do mean ultra clean, I also have vibratory cleaner for pistol brass and an ultrasonic for cleaning brass, but IMHO the best by far is the Thumblers.

It is a wet operation and takes time to drain and remove the media, the media is stainless steel, doesn't wear out and can be rinsed for use over and over again. The SS media is a one time purchase.

You want quick -vibratory tumber is the way to go, you want absolutely clean use Thumblers and SS media. It depends on the level you want to go to how much time you can spend on brass prep and how much of the variance you want to take out of the reloading process.

This advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

EL_NinO619
04-26-2011, 16:52
Water and Brass do not mix. I got a large batch from a local range and they where filthy, decided well ill wash them first before sticking them in the tumbler. I did this about 5 months ago and i believe there still wet. Have not even tried to use the brass yet, ill stay Dry from now on.

Ranger9mm
04-26-2011, 16:56
I have a Thumber's and use it to ultra clean rifle brass. I do mean ultra clean, I also have vibratory cleaner for pistol brass and an ultrasonic for cleaning brass, but IMHO the best by far is the Thumblers.

It is a wet operation and takes time to drain and remove the media, the media is stainless steel, doesn't wear out and can be rinsed for use over and over again. The SS media is a one time purchase.

You want quick -vibratory tumber is the way to go, you want absolutely clean use Thumblers and SS media. It depends on the level you want to go to how much time you can spend on brass prep and how much of the variance you want to take out of the reloading process.

This advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

ss media and liquid sound nice to me, one time purchase on the ss media is appealing as well. perhaps a Thumbler is in order for me. i don't mid waiting a little longer, just looking to eliminate coarse media from the equation and i have no problem draining and separating ss media and water from my brass and letting them dry for later use.

oldsoldier
04-26-2011, 16:57
Put them in a cookie sheet and toss them in the oven on the lowest heat setting. That will dry them out.

Ranger9mm
04-26-2011, 18:04
Put them in a cookie sheet and toss them in the oven on the lowest heat setting. That will dry them out.

i figured i would just shake them good in a strainer and let them sit weeks ahead of time, i mean i'm only reloading 9mm anyway and they should dry out without issue. if that don't work maybe an oven or old crock pot bet then i'm getting into more work than friggin media. lol

kshutt
04-27-2011, 05:44

I think I've had my Ultra-Vibe 18 about that long too, unclebob! Still runnin' strong! :wavey: