Ammo and Components Prices Up 25%? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ammo and Components Prices Up 25%?

Dozerdog
04-23-2011, 08:30
I went to several gun shops yesterday, and every sales person warned me about the ammo and component price jump on May 1. I have not heard anything about this on the other forums I visit, and would like to hear more confirmation that this is truly going to happen. Money is tight right now, but I think I would make an exception on placing a big order now to avoid paying a lot more later. I live in New Mexico and would like to hear what shooters and loaders in other states have to say about this. I don't think this is a local issue, but I want to be sure.

shotgunred
04-23-2011, 08:35
Lead and brass prices are going up. All metal prices are going up because of Japan. Just how that is going to shake out in ammo prices is anyone's guess.

boomhower
04-23-2011, 08:37
A lot of the internet sellers have been saying the same thing. I'm thinking hard about ordering a case of 5.56 when I get paid this week.

BENCH
04-23-2011, 08:41
I am ordering some bullets in bulk for my .223, and 40cal. No telling how this Japan problem is going to burden us.

Don't get me started on gas prices:steamed:

cowboy1964
04-23-2011, 12:48
Someone a few weeks ago posted links to letters from Federal and others stating price increases were coming May 1. Anywhere generally from 7-15% on average, across the board (loaded ammo, components, etc).

firefighter4215
04-23-2011, 12:51
Someone a few weeks ago posted links to letters from Federal and others stating price increases were coming May 1. Anywhere generally from 7-15% on average, across the board (loaded ammo, components, etc).

That letter is posted on Natchez's web site.

BENCH
04-23-2011, 13:09
I hate it, I truly do. Guess I will eat more tuna, to afford to shoot.

It cost me $8 to get to the range and back. It is cheaper to get to my favorite fishing hole.

Bench

G36_Me
04-24-2011, 05:48
Never let a good crisis go to waste. Just when the primer prices were starting to come down.

dudel
04-24-2011, 05:50
Someone has got to pay for the increase in fuel prices to transport the stuff to the store. I guess it's going to be us.

rhikdavis
04-24-2011, 06:37
I hate it, I truly do. Guess I will eat more tuna, to afford to shoot.

It cost me $8 to get to the range and back. It is cheaper to get to my favorite fishing hole.

Bench

Tuna is going up too.

shotgunred
04-24-2011, 09:18
I just checked the two places I normally buy bullets from. They both have had a price increase sense last week.

Philippe
04-24-2011, 11:15
Prices are stable here lately and no such rumors are floating around either. At the gunshow i went to last weekend i bought a few boxes of Winchester Small Pistol and Small Pistol Mag primers for 26 dollars.

bush pilot
04-24-2011, 11:22
Lead and brass prices are going up. All metal prices are going up because of Japan. Just how that is going to shake out in ammo prices is anyone's guess.

I doubt the problems in Japan are doing much to the price of components. A friend of mine (component wholesaler) warned me of major price hikes well before the earthquakes. FWIW, he said powder and primers will probably not rise too much, when it comes to bullets (jacketed, plated, lead) he indicated we're only starting to see the tip of the iceberg on price increases. It's depressing for those of us that prefer shooting as their prime source of recreation.

shotgunred
04-24-2011, 11:39
I have been moving towards casting anyways. Just have to break down and order that star.

bush pilot
04-24-2011, 12:21
I have been moving towards casting anyways. Just have to break down and order that star.

Good luck finding real lead wheel weights in Washington.

GioaJack
04-24-2011, 12:25
Good luck finding real lead wheel weights in Washington.

Good point, but WA has lots of sailboats and they use lead ballast in the keel. Ya just gotta carry a battery operated Saws-All and a mask in your truck. Not a major problem. :whistling:

Jack

bush pilot
04-24-2011, 12:31
Good point, but WA has lots of sailboats and they use lead ballast in the keel. Ya just gotta carry a battery operated Saws-All and a mask in your truck. Not a major problem. :whistling:

Jack

Tried in once, did you ever try swimming while carrying a 500# piece of lead? The trick is to do it off season when the boat's out of the water.

GioaJack
04-24-2011, 12:40
Tried in once, did you ever try swimming while carrying a 500# piece of lead? The trick is to do it off season when the boat's out of the water.

I hate people who always take the easy way out. :fist:

Jack

shotgunred
04-24-2011, 12:44

I don't need wheel weights. I am getting more lead than I can use from the local recycler. He has everything from 1 oz fishing weights to a couple of block that weight over a ton each. No its not free but it is 1/5 the price of buying bullets.

bush pilot
04-24-2011, 17:58
I don't need wheel weights. I am getting more lead than I can use from the local recycler. He has everything from 1 oz fishing weights to a couple of block that weight over a ton each. No its not free but it is 1/5 the price of buying bullets.

I'd like to firgure out a way to mine Puget Sound for the lead lost by fishermen with downriggers.