New to reloading, .308 won't size. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New to reloading, .308 won't size.

Foxtrotx1
04-23-2011, 13:14
Using lee thigh master, Lyman spray lube. Lee .308 dies. Cleaned cases, not mil spec brass, lubed inside of neck, inside of die, everywhere. let lube dry. attempted to size. 2 full grown men are unable to close the grips together.

Already removed 3 stuck cases. So far reloading is pissing me off.

Please help.

unclebob
04-23-2011, 13:40
First loading with a Lee thigh master would piss me off also.
Did you spray the case let dry and spray again? And let dry again? I have never used the Lyman spray. But you might want to try a different lube. Stuck case means there is not enough lube on the case. But then if you over do it? You well get dented cases.

GioaJack
04-23-2011, 13:50
If the wife/girlfriend, or you, has any type of body lotion with lanolin in it put a dab on your fingers and roll the case between them. Be very sparing on the shoulders or as the old man said you'll end up with dents.

You'll either have to tumble the brass to remove the lube after sizing or simply use a damp rag.

Clean your sizing die of the lube you put in there, it'll dry and make sizing harder plus build up and cause dents.

Jack

390ish
04-23-2011, 14:20
use some imperial sizing wax. one tin will last you a few years.

fredj338
04-23-2011, 14:24
I agree w/ UB, the Lee thighmaster is barely reloading. Come on man, it's the 21st century! They were using sim tools back in the 1800s! Read & follow the nstructions well on the Lyman spray. The Hornady must be dry to work, don't know about the Lyman. Also, what gun were the cases fired in? I have seen some pretty swolllen cases fired in open bolt guns or M1s. No way that is getting done on anything but a single stage press.

Foxtrotx1
04-23-2011, 14:27
I agree w/ UB, the Lee thighmaster is barely reloading. Come on man, it's the 21st century! They were using sim tools back in the 1800s! Read & follow the nstructions well on the Lyman spray. The Hornady must be dry to work, don't know about the Lyman. Also, what gun were the cases fired in? I have seen some pretty swolllen cases fired in open bolt guns or M1s. No way that is getting done on anything but a single stage press.

Fired from an M1A. Thanks for the advice guys :wavey:

fredj338
04-23-2011, 14:46
Fired from an M1A. Thanks for the advice guys :wavey:
Yeah, sometimes the chambers get a bit oversize, depending on the gun. Makes resizing a *****. Get a cheap ss press, even the Lee will do a beter job w/ some leverage.

DoctaGlockta
04-23-2011, 15:37
I think you are asking too much from the thigh master. I couldn't even resize 308 on my LNL AP and had to buy a Lee Classic Cast. I suggest you do the same.

Foxtrotx1
04-23-2011, 15:42
Well the die is a loss. Brass will not come out. Penetrating oil and wood block/hammer be damned. Maybe ill just reload 9mm.

hoffy
04-23-2011, 15:47
if money is an object, the cheapest Lee bench press is not that much and will work, I agree with those who suggest you are asking a lot of the thigh master. A very tight and poor friend bought one years ago and we made a jig with a 4x4 post, cut a slot just wide enough to hold the press so you could stomp on the other lever, but it was a pain, and he eventually bought the cheap bench press which worked fine for what he needed... he gave it to me and I am going to set up a buddy to load nothing but 22 Hornets in it....

Colorado4Wheel
04-23-2011, 15:47
Buy some real equipment. Even a cheap lee press is better then what you got. Good equipment is worth the investment.

EL_NinO619
04-23-2011, 18:00
There is a tad more to reloading for .308 esp M1A. You should have spent 20more bucks and got the LEE breech lock press. I suggest you get a new press and more knowledge about reloading before you make any further moves..

dbarry
04-23-2011, 19:45
I use lyman spray lube. You dont have to let it dry, I think the can says 30 seconds. Good stuff, just got to make sure you dry or tumble the cases or you could wind up with dud primers. As others have said, rifle resizing is probably asking a bit much for a hand press. Don't give up on the die. Unthread the decapper clamp (it holds your decapping pin) and remove it. Put the die in a vise (between wood blocks lest you booger the threads) and after spraying WD40, Rem-oil, or other lubricant in the die, smack the decapper with a brass hammer. If you dont have one use a hard piece of wood like oak or ash. I've had to do this a few times when I didn't get the case lubed enough and it got stuck. Midwayusa also has a more elegant tool for removing stuck cases, but this method mentioned above has removed stuck cases for me in the past.

dudel
04-24-2011, 06:26
Using lee thigh master, Lyman spray lube. Lee .308 dies. Cleaned cases, not mil spec brass, lubed inside of neck, inside of die, everywhere. let lube dry. attempted to size. 2 full grown men are unable to close the grips together.

Please help.

Lots of pain there. Several options as I see it.

1) If the brass is going into the same rifle that shot them, then neck size only. It's a lot less effort, you can get carbide sizers, no need for lube.

2) Put some pipes on the thighmaster to increase your leverage.

3) Try a different lube. Imperial or Midway/Dillons spray lube

4) Get a small dedicated press for your sizing tasks. Note that too small a press isn't going to be fun either.

dudel
04-24-2011, 06:30
Well the die is a loss. Brass will not come out. Penetrating oil and wood block/hammer be damned. Maybe ill just reload 9mm.

Not so fast. Did the base rip off? If so, get between the brass and the die. Keep working iit away from the die on two side (bending the brass in), then use needlenose to pull it out with a twisting motion. If the base is still there, and you have Lee or Hornady sizing dies, loosen the collet that holds the decapping rod, and drive the case out. Lee and Hornady feature a built-in stuck case remover.

unclebob
04-24-2011, 07:17
1) If the brass is going into the same rifle that shot them, then neck size only. It's a lot less effort, you can get carbide sizers, no need for lube.

You still need to use lube when using rifle carbide dies.

Zombie Steve
04-24-2011, 08:29

Normally, I'd agree, but not if it's going back into an auto loader like an M1A.

And since I spent like 4 minutes on this, I'd like to get some more mileage out of it.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x214/sbecht/1976_ford_fiesta-pic-46743.jpg

:tongueout:

sig357fan
04-24-2011, 09:06
Normally, I'd agree, but not if it's going back into an auto loader like an M1A.

And since I spent like 4 minutes on this, I'd like to get some more mileage out of it.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x214/sbecht/1976_ford_fiesta-pic-46743.jpg

I'd have to agree in reguards to an auto loader.............................................................................................. .................................................................................................... .................................................................................................... .................................................................................................... .................................................................................................... ..........................and adding mileage to Zombie Steve's Team Lee!

dudel
04-24-2011, 09:53
You still need to use lube when using rifle carbide dies.

Correct if full lenght sizing. Not needed for carbide neck sizers.

banjobob
04-24-2011, 09:57
Most spray lubes I've used suck, the exception is Dillon's. Remember good tools make good work or another way to put it "buy crap, get crap"

dudel
04-24-2011, 10:26
Most spray lubes I've used suck, the exception is Dillon's. Remember good tools make good work or another way to put it "buy crap, get crap"

Hornady One Shot works well, as does the Midway brand. I've heard good things, but never used, the Lyman spray. I doubt Dillon makes the lube. More likely, they resell someone elses lube.

Another quote which came to mind is "A poor craftsman blames their tools".

EL_NinO619
04-24-2011, 11:01
You must full length size for a M1A, or you will have chambering issues which can lead to a slam fire. Even with a bolt action after several firing only neck sizing you will have to full length size agian. you can tell when you need to full size when it,starts getting hard to close the bolt. As fred said, your pretty much fighting a losing battle trying to load .308 on,that, you atleast need a SS, it takes a lot of force for large,rifle compared to pistol..

EL_NinO619
04-24-2011, 11:04
Also for large caliber rifle, I found oneshot does not work as well as a lube pad and dry mica for the inside of neck. Oneshot takes a lot more force and you run the risk of a stuck case. Use RCBS lube & pad.

fredj338
04-24-2011, 11:14
Not so fast. Did the base rip off? If so, get between the brass and the die. Keep working iit away from the die on two side (bending the brass in), then use needlenose to pull it out with a twisting motion. If the base is still there, and you have Lee or Hornady sizing dies, loosen the collet that holds the decapping rod, and drive the case out. Lee and Hornady feature a built-in stuck case remover.
For $15, the RCBS stuck case remover is well worth it. I don't know about Lee, but RCBS & Redding will remove the case for you, polish & send your die back to you for nothing.

fredj338
04-24-2011, 11:17
Also for large caliber rifle, I found oneshot does not work as well as a lube pad and dry mica for the inside of neck. Oneshot takes a lot more force and you run the risk of a stuck case. Use RCBS lube & pad.
I can get by w/ OneShot for the 308 in my 550B, but I tend to agree, the lube pad & RCBS or sim lube just works a lot better. Wiping off the rounds after loading is no big deal, a damp rag mkse quick work of the RCBS lube.

shotgunred
04-24-2011, 11:31

You can save the die for $5.00.
Go to the hardware store.
Tell them you need a 1/4 inch tap and drill set an a 1/4 inch bolt two inches long.
Drill through the primer and through the bottom of the brass.
Tap that hole. screw you bolt in. it will push the die and brass apart. Here is the basic way to do it if you are rich.
http://ultimatereloader.com/how-to/removing-a-stuck-case-hd/
I use a hand held drill and a clamp and manage just fine. The fancy stuff is nice but not necessary.

As for loading a 308 on a thighmaster? I believe you realize that it isn't going to work very well. At least go buy a $50 lee single stage press.

dudel
04-24-2011, 11:57
For $15, the RCBS stuck case remover is well worth it. I don't know about Lee, but RCBS & Redding will remove the case for you, polish & send your die back to you for nothing.

Agreed; but it sounded like the OP was on a budget (why else use a thighmaster?). The RCBS stuck case remover works well. I've had to use it on my RCBS .223 die. On my Hornady (and Lee) sets, the decapping rod has worked to drive out stuck cases. IIRC, Hornady will also fix it free. Lee might as well, but they are so cheap, it not as big a hit to get another.

Bottom line, I don't think the OPs die is toast.

unclebob
04-24-2011, 14:06
Correct if full lenght sizing. Not needed for carbide neck sizers.

The OP is shooting a M1A1 so he needs full length sizing. Who makes rifle neck size carbide only die? That does not require lube? Even if there is, going back to the original point, he still needs a full length sizing die? Steel or carbide they still need lube.

EL_NinO619
04-24-2011, 14:55
A neck sizer Collet die needs no lube.

fredj338
04-24-2011, 15:33
A neck sizer Collet die needs no lube.

COrrect, but you shouldn't be shooting neck sized brass in your M1/M1A, it's just asking for trouble. I even use a small base sizer for mine, just makes me feel better abotu the rounds all chambering nicely.

dudel
04-24-2011, 16:42
Who makes rifle neck size carbide only die?

RCBS, Redding, Sinclair, Wilson. To name a few. They are called bushings. You change them out in the die.

http://www.redding-reloading.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=118:type-s-bushing-dies

http://www.sinclairintl.com/1/1/1836-sinclair-carbide-sizing-bushings-2595.html

Sorry, didn't see anything about M1a in the OP.

Foxtrotx1
04-24-2011, 17:01
I really appreciate all the input. Ill be getting a SS press is seems. I live 20 minutes from Dillon. Ill visit the shop. Also, imperial sizing wax seems to be in order.

SilentVectorX
04-24-2011, 17:46
FYI whoever brought it up. There are no .308win/7.62mm M1A1's. M1A1's are either a M1 Carbine with folding stock, or a military Thompson submachine gun.