Why did i pick the Blue one... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Why did i pick the Blue one...

EL_NinO619
04-23-2011, 17:54
So i received my new Dillon eliminator scale today. Well i think there may be a problem. When i zero it out, there is only a 16th of a inch left to the table. So that leaves only enough for the arrow to go slightly past the zero line. Now this may work but i air on the side of caution and could see a problem with this. Why i went with Dillon, well it was cheaper. Looks like i will be finding out about there NO B.S program...:dunno: Besides that it looks like a awesome scale, it even has a little more weight to it than the RCBS 505..

For got to mention its the screw in the pan support assembly, if i back it out the pan does not seat properly..

nothing
04-23-2011, 18:43
Is your bench level?

Colorado4Wheel
04-23-2011, 18:58
So i received my new Dillon eliminator scale today. Well i think there may be a problem. When i zero it out, there is only a 16th of a inch left to the table. So that leaves only enough for the arrow to go slightly past the zero line. Now this may work but i air on the side of caution and could see a problem with this. Why i went with Dillon, well it was cheaper. Looks like i will be finding out about there NO B.S program...:dunno: Besides that it looks like a awesome scale, it even has a little more weight to it than the RCBS 505..

For got to mention its the screw in the pan support assembly, if i back it out the pan does not seat properly..

So what exactly did you do? You never take the screw off the pan assemble. It's loaded with shot to zero it properly. The only adjustment is with the foot under the pointer. If the table is level it will work. Otherwise call them and they will fix it for you. You should have read the directions.

PCJim
04-23-2011, 20:12
There should be ample room under the pan holder to allow the pointer to rise to the top of the indicator scale. If your bench is level and the pan hanger is hitting (or almost hitting) the benchtop when you zero the scale using the elevation foot, you have either 1) too much weight inside the pan holder, or 2) a bent hanger rod.

WiskyT
04-23-2011, 20:30
Adjust the amount of shot in the pan holder. At least that's how you do it on the Ohaus scales I'm familiar with.

EL_NinO619
04-23-2011, 20:38
So what exactly did you do? You never take the screw off the pan assemble. It's loaded with shot to zero it properly. The only adjustment is with the foot under the pointer. If the table is level it will work. Otherwise call them and they will fix it for you. You should have read the directions.

Steve I know how to use a scale. I did not touch anything until I noticed the problem. My bench is level, and yes I checked it with a level. I dont have another pan holder from a dillon scale but to the 505 its a different shape. I got it from grafs and they are always sold out then have one in stock, im starting to believe that they sell out and keep getting this ONE returned and the guy who does recieving believes its fine because it looks good until you level..well thats just my crazy thinking anyways. But I really hope Dillon will just send another hanger so I wont have to go through the hassle of returning...shiuld have got the hornady:rofl:

EL_NinO619
04-23-2011, 20:42
And I did read instuctions before I even unpacked the scale..first time ever..

PCJim
04-23-2011, 20:54
A single hanger could get bent quite easily by the USPS. Just bend your hanger rod a little bit. Darn, if I was there, I'd send you to the liquor cabinet to refill my Glenmorangie and I'd bend it myself. Geez, lookie here, I fixed it... :cool:

EL_NinO619
04-23-2011, 21:23
Things should work out of box...plus its packed very well, would not be possiavle to bend hanget without breaking something else first

EL_NinO619
04-24-2011, 00:14
So here is the beautiful scale. Pic 2 is the scale zeroed out, pic three is showing the highest point possible. Before I do any mods i will call Dillon Monday and see what they say.

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac135/Justin_Moreau/de1.jpg?t=1303625527

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac135/Justin_Moreau/de2.jpg?t=1303625527

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac135/Justin_Moreau/de3.jpg?t=1303625527

labdwakin
04-24-2011, 02:11
Justin... ya just need to remove shot from the hanger dish equal to the weight of your powder pan, man.

WiskyT
04-24-2011, 06:37
So here is the beautiful scale. Pic 2 is the scale zeroed out, pic three is showing the highest point possible. Before I do any mods i will call Dillon Monday and see what they say.

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac135/Justin_Moreau/de1.jpg?t=1303625527

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac135/Justin_Moreau/de2.jpg?t=1303625527

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac135/Justin_Moreau/de3.jpg?t=1303625527

Just move it all the way to the right of the bench:rofl:

dudel
04-24-2011, 07:11
Just hold the end with the needle up about 1/4 inch. Keep it steady while weighing. <G>

Colorado4Wheel
04-24-2011, 08:44
Just bend the holder up a little. It probably bent some going in or coming out for the box. It's not a big deal.

shotgunred
04-24-2011, 09:24
Why did i pick the Blue one...
The dark side of the force is strong luke. You must resist.

hoffy
04-24-2011, 09:52
When I was in college the first time I was working at a gun shop and bought a 1010 RCBS for 65$ (a long long time ago) and checked the brass weight, and a few assorted bullets and pieces of metal with an analytical scale at the chemistry lab, not one used by students, but one used by a PhD. doing research, and the brass weight was very close(within the decimal range stamped on it) and I still have the other pieces I keep in a sealed container, to check my scale over the years. An older pharmacy should have a good scale or balance, new ones now days-who knows. Waaay better than spending $ on a scale check weight set...... good luck

PCJim
04-24-2011, 12:19
Justin... ya just need to remove shot from the hanger dish equal to the weight of your powder pan, man.

Actually, that wouldn't help his situation. If his pan is heavy, it will hit the benchtop without giving an accurate weight indication.

Justin, look at the bottom of the pan side of the scale body. Is it possible that maybe it was designed to have some rubber feet that may be missing? If so, this would have provided the necessary extra clearance.

GioaJack
04-24-2011, 12:22
Paint it red or green... that'll fix it.

Jack

cole
04-24-2011, 12:38
Just bend the holder up a little. It probably bent some going in or coming out for the box. It's not a big deal.

This.:goodpost:

WiskyT
04-24-2011, 14:08
Actually, that wouldn't help his situation. If his pan is heavy, it will hit the benchtop without giving an accurate weight indication.

Justin, look at the bottom of the pan side of the scale body. Is it possible that maybe it was designed to have some rubber feet that may be missing? If so, this would have provided the necessary extra clearance.

I don't think they put rubber feet on something as precise as a scale.

The lead shot in the pan holder thingy is for gross zero adjustment. His zero is grossly out of adjustment, or the Earth's gravitaional field is being effected by his neighbor's oscillation overthruster.

EL_NinO619
04-24-2011, 14:44
Took some of the little gunpowder looking shot out. Works good, could not wait to call Dillon, so i may never know about there no B.S. plan.

Rick from Kali
04-25-2011, 12:43
EL_Nin0619,
after reading your post i got out my Dillon scale and took a photo of it . when zeroed i have about 1/4" of space under the pan holder. i bottomed out the pointer all the way to the top and the pan holder still does not touch the bench. HTH
Rick
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o301/rick4570/Picture245.jpg

Colorado4Wheel
04-25-2011, 15:54
Bottom of pan bolt to top of loop on hook. 2.3xx"

mmerrill64
04-25-2011, 17:45
Just bend the pan hanger rod or cut a piece od 3/4 plywood and set the scale on it with the pan hanging off the edge!

SPIN2010
04-25-2011, 18:28
I have the exact same scale and it is close to the setting surface as well. But, I have to ask: What difference does it make? The zero point is what you are after. Right?

I believe (easy now) that small height also keeps you from dropping a large, over/misguessed weight onto the pan and it maxing out your scale on the pivot (hits the setting surface instead).

Colorado4Wheel
04-25-2011, 18:32
It makes no difference. He only bought this thing so he could nit pick a Dillon product.

WiskyT
04-25-2011, 18:37
Took some of the little gunpowder looking shot out. Works good, could not wait to call Dillon, so i may never know about there no B.S. plan.

Well, I feel better about this.

PCJim
04-25-2011, 20:07

I now see that you had ample room on the elevation foot to gain some additional clearance after removing some of the pan ballast.

I stand corrected, and am glad you got it figured out.

Colorado4Wheel
04-25-2011, 20:22
Why are you not using the pan that came with the scale. It it calibrated for that scale.