Bench Idea.. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Bench Idea..

Fwdftw
04-23-2011, 19:31
Got this for free from a neighboor moving out... Plans include to brace it and L bracket it to the wall.. i wanna put a clear mat or something underneath the bench for my fiances sake.. and well the carpet too :) ideas??? :wavey:

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c379/Rizey/DSC00254.jpg

WiskyT
04-23-2011, 19:33
It just has the look of fail on it. Think 2x lumber, sheetrock screws, and your kid's elmers glue.

Fwdftw
04-23-2011, 19:36
LMAO the look of fail.. i like the shelving and stuff.. possibly remove the bottom portion? my whole thing is .. will the plastic matt mess me up? i need to protect the carpet.. this was just put in 5 months ago

44terryberry
04-23-2011, 19:36
but the problem is, if you mount a press on it, the stress just might rip the bench apart. Hope not, but its possible

Fwdftw
04-23-2011, 19:38
but the problem is, if you mount a press on it, the stress just might rip the bench apart. Hope not, but its possible

well the plan is the reinforce and brace the lower half..

labdwakin
04-23-2011, 19:40
It just has the look of fail on it. Think 2x lumber, sheetrock screws, and your kid's elmers glue.

I'd cut the rounded edge off the front too so it didn't have as much unsupported area... as far as the clear mat goes... get one of those hard office mats for chairs to roll on and screw it down... won't tear up the carpet if you do it right.

Fwdftw
04-23-2011, 19:41
I'd cut the rounded edge off the front too so it didn't have as much unsupported area... as far as the clear mat goes... get one of those hard office mats for chairs to roll on and screw it down... won't tear up the carpet if you do it right.

fiance aint gonna go for that... lmao i figure the pressure of the bench on it and being mounted to the studs it will be ok..?

WiskyT
04-23-2011, 19:42
LMAO the look of fail.. i like the shelving and stuff.. possibly remove the bottom portion? my whole thing is .. will the plastic matt mess me up? i need to protect the carpet.. this was just put in 5 months ago

Sorry, I was a bit harsh, but reloading is a cruel world.

It just doesn't look sturdy. What you could do is build a bench top, sans legs, and screw it to both walls. That might be strong enough. If not, put one leg on the one corner that isn't supported and screw that leg to the subfloor. If you drive a screw through carpet, and take it back out, you'll never find the hole.

I don't see how plastic on the floor will hurt anything. If I was smart, I would have put it down on mine. Mine is in a dedicated room so it doesn't matter.

Maybe even a piece of cheap vinyl flooring from Home Depot layed on top of the carpet. The stuff is like $1.00 per square foot, looks decent, is durable, and you could probably roll an office chair around on it without too much trouble.

Fwdftw
04-23-2011, 19:47
Soo.. basically throw this away and build a bench? lol.

What about taking the top off and putting it on top of a sturdy base? i know im trying to be cheap here and normally thats not the right thing to do.

GioaJack
04-23-2011, 19:53
About the only way you're going to make that work and still keep the little lady happy is with some heavy duty bracing.

If I had to use that and retain the over all look I do believe I'd get a 3/4 inch piece of plywood. I'd cut it to the exact shape of the desk top and screw it to the bottom to retain the finished look. You can countersink the screw holes and cover them with plastic or wooden caps stained the same color.

I believe I'd the attach five 2X4's as support legs, one at each corner along side the existing sides and one directly in the middle at the back.

To keep domestic harmony I believe I'd then go to the fabric department at Wally World, buy some decorative fabric that compliments the room's decor cut it to the proper width and floor length then use upholstery tacks to secure it to the front, curved portion of the desk top. That would not only conceal the 2X4's but also afford a hidden storage area.

I believe that's what I'd do... if I had to.

Jack

labdwakin
04-23-2011, 19:54
Honestly? I'd use it for a brass prep table/station and build a real bench for the loading, you'll need it.

WiskyT
04-23-2011, 19:54
Soo.. basically throw this away and build a bench? lol.

What about taking the top off and putting it on top of a sturdy base? i know im trying to be cheap here and normally thats not the right thing to do.

It doesn't sound like you're being cheap. It sounds like you are trying to make some kind of deal with someone who has never forgiven you for leaving the seat up. You want a bench made of lumber, all men do. But, she says it will look icky and will have none of it. Build your lumber bench. When your woman leaves you, date all of her friends.

The bench top kight work if used as sort of a veneer for a real bench that is lurking underneath it.

WiskyT
04-23-2011, 19:59
About the only way you're going to make that work and still keep the little lady happy is with some heavy duty bracing.

If I had to use that and retain the over all look I do believe I'd get a 3/4 inch piece of plywood. I'd cut it to the exact shape of the desk top and screw it to the bottom to retain the finished look. You can countersink the screw holes and cover them with plastic or wooden caps stained the same color.

I believe I'd the attach five 2X4's as support legs, one at each corner along side the existing sides and one directly in the middle at the back.

To keep domestic harmony I believe I'd then go to the fabric department at Wally World, buy some decorative fabric that compliments the room's decor cut it to the proper width and floor length then use upholstery tacks to secure it to the front, curved portion of the desk top. That would not only conceal the 2X4's but also afford a hidden storage area.

I believe that's what I'd do... if I had to.

Jack

That's just what he needs, marital advice from Jack. And fabric and upholstery tacks? Have you been doubling up on the fentanol, or are you the president of the Danielle Steel fan club?

labdwakin
04-23-2011, 19:59
fiance aint gonna go for that... lmao i figure the pressure of the bench on it and being mounted to the studs it will be ok..?

Like Jack said... ifyou REALLY beef it up then make it look presentable otherwise, it'll work, just not really the best solution.

I should start building Reloading Cabinets out of Oak that close up and no one knows that they are, just that they're pretty... I bet I could sell the PEE out of em to guys that had to relinquish their "Man Cards" :supergrin:

Fwdftw
04-23-2011, 20:02
no no no no no and no!! i have the go forth on the bench.. the other half just says i have to protect the carpet!! carpet is the issue ( and im trained to put the seat down) lol. I was just trying to make good use of a free table..

WiskyT
04-23-2011, 20:05
no no no no no and no!! i have the go forth on the bench.. the other half just says i have to protect the carpet!! carpet is the issue ( and im trained to put the seat down) lol. I was just trying to make good use of a free table..

Use the free table as a workbench to build your reloading bench. Then paint the free table pink and tell your womern the two of you can use it when you do scrapbooking togeather.

GioaJack
04-23-2011, 20:05
Just because I have an ex-wife in every state and all of the U.S. territories doesn't mean I didn't learn stuff... I just didn't put any of it into practice.

Besides, all you guys came up with is stuff that will insure the poor guy stays celibate the rest of his life.

Jack

Fwdftw
04-23-2011, 20:07
lol what a great thread...

MY Balls are intact fellas.. lol I paid for the carpet and dont want it jacked up lol that is all

PCJim
04-23-2011, 20:47
If you drive a screw through carpet, and take it back out, you'll never find the hole.

I paid for the carpet and dont want it jacked up lol that is all

When the carpet was laid, what was under it?

Wisky is right. If your floor is a wood subfloor, you can drive a screw into it and when removed, you'll never see the hole. Just be careful when driving the screw that you don't get a snag on the carpet loops, else you'll have a run like women get in their hoses. Separate the loops as much as possible, and use a manual screwdriver, not an electric that you cannot easily control.

Fwdftw
04-23-2011, 21:09
concrete slab

dudel
04-24-2011, 06:07

+1. Thing looks awfully weak for the stresses of loading. I suspect particle board under the veneer of the table and legs. I wouldn't build a bench out of particle board.

dudel
04-24-2011, 06:15
lol what a great thread...

MY Balls are intact fellas.. lol I paid for the carpet and dont want it jacked up lol that is all

How are you going to mess up the carpet?

Spent primers (mostly) go into the catch bin (the rest get vacummed up).

Primers, brass and projectiles that get splilled/dropped, won't stain anything after they get picked up (and after paying for them, you WILL pick them up).

Cleaning media, gets vacummed up. No problem there.

Powder is the only thing tricky to pickup (I don't use a vacumm, others do); but it won't stain anything either.

I'm not seeing the issue with the carpet.

Is this a reloading bench or a gun cleaning station?

Personally, I'd build a new bench. By the time you end up fixing that one, you have spent more and gotten less.

sig357fan
04-24-2011, 06:20
Well Fwdftw, I personally wouldn’t use it for a reloading bench, mainly because of the front edge, I’d think mounting a press on that curved edge would make it uncomfortable to operate. Also not having a way to transfer the stresses on the bench to the floor when operating the press may be an issue.

But, I do understand the not wanting to mess up the carpet and the inborn need of the CRB to make a fully tactical, completely concealable IWB holster from a sows ear, (what….ya thought I was gonna say “silk purse”…come on!!!)

That being said, I’d probably cut the front edge straight, cut the legs even with the back support board, build a 2 x 4 frame to fit under the main surface area. I’d then mount it in the corner as you have it in the picture, screw the 2 x 4 frame into the wall studs, mounted at a height of your liking. Mount the press as far to the right as possible, maybe add a bracket under the press attached to the wall stud.

I’d think with this set up you could do almost every reloading operation except full length sizing of rifle brass, for that I’d mount the press in a manner to make it easy to remove so I could then mount it in a location more suitable for FLS rifle brass, say, a place in the garage, tail gate of the truck, a 6 x 6 post cemented in the back yard, ( O.K….O.K…. the post in the back yard maybe a little extreme, but you get the picture).

sig357fan

trcubed
04-24-2011, 06:53
Got this for free from a neighboor moving out... Plans include to brace it and L bracket it to the wall.. i wanna put a clear mat or something underneath the bench for my fiances sake.. and well the carpet too :) ideas??? :wavey:

I've read this three times and it STILL sounds like the mat is for your finance to lay on under the bench...

:whistling:

Guys...I know the bench doesn't look like much structurally, buy he may actually be onto something here!

Just1More
04-24-2011, 07:01
Looks like firewood to me. Or, as someone mentioned, a nifty scrap-booking table. I wouldn't paint it pink, though. The butt-brown is much more manly...:)

trcubed
04-24-2011, 07:04
Looks like firewood to me. Or, as someone mentioned, a nifty scrap-booking table. I wouldn't paint it pink, though. The butt-brown is much more manly...:)

Nah...particle board releases formaldehyde when burned.

Fwdftw
04-24-2011, 17:42
Man yall are a harsh croud!

GioaJack
04-24-2011, 18:05
Face it Fwdftw, (what the hell kind of screen name is that), you're whipped and no matter what kind of nifty suggestions you get from the rest of these whipped guys around here the little lady is going to have final approval... just like their ladies had with them. :whistling:

They talk big but that's only because they don't give their wives their GT password. :whistling:

Jack

PCJim
04-24-2011, 18:33
Face it Fwdftw, (what the hell kind of screen name is that), you're whipped and no matter what kind of nifty suggestions you get from the rest of these whipped guys around here the little lady is going to have final approval... just like their ladies had with them. :whistling:

They talk big but that's only because they don't give their wives their GT password. :whistling:

Jack

That's cause we're smart. Jack let his password slip out, thus the number of exwives he keeps reminding us of. :cool:

Fwdftw
04-24-2011, 18:44
bwahahahahaha i love this forum!!

trcubed
04-24-2011, 19:42
Man yall are a harsh croud!

CROWD!

:supergrin: