650 primer catcher [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 650 primer catcher

fredj338
04-23-2011, 19:40
Ok, all this talk of Steve getting the new 650 & the primer catcher mod got me thinking I should look for a better way. The search turned up little to too much. Can UB or anyone that has done a mod on the primer catcher, to convert it to a tube & bottle arrangement, share some pics & basic instructions?
thanks

GioaJack
04-23-2011, 20:00
Seeing as how I'm the only one around here without a 650 I'm really not sure what the set up is like but can you adapt it the same way as a 1050?

Cut the base end off a .223, slid it into the hole where the primers slide it into the collection cup, add a plastic hose and run it to a receptacle on the floor or to the side of the bench leg.

Have absolutely no idea if that would work on a 650. If you'll recall, I mentioned I'm the only one that doesn't own one. :crying:

Jack

labdwakin
04-23-2011, 20:03
Seeing as how I'm the only one around here without a 650 I'm really not sure what the set up is like but can you adapt it the same way as a 1050?

Cut the base end off a .223, slid it into the hole where the primers slide it into the collection cup, add a plastic hose and run it to a receptacle on the floor or to the side of the bench leg.

Have absolutely no idea if that would work on a 650. If you'll recall, I mentioned I'm the only one that doesn't own one. :crying:

Jack

He says that... but he'll sell the SDB and get one soon, just wait... LOLLLL

Colorado4Wheel
04-23-2011, 20:03
I can post pictures Monday.

unclebob
04-23-2011, 20:11
Sorry Fried I only had one lying around and I sent it to Steve. Or I would send you one also. But go here post 74 is how I did it and 76 are pictures of it. Since I posted that I have made a few changes. I went with the largest brass Ferrell they make. At least what they sale at Ace Hardware or Loweís. Large primers were hanging up. Instead of the hose clamp I went with a coat hanger that is just bent, for the hose to fit through. I have a strong mount and I have a Baby wipe box that sits under the strong mount. I cut a hole in the lid on the right hand corner for the tubing to fit into. Only need to empty it about once a year. Also put some lead weight in the box. When you first start it wants to move around. If you donít have a strong mount you can just have the tubing going down to a trash can. It is simple to make.
http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=584&st=50

unclebob
04-23-2011, 20:30
You can also if you are like Jack and the only nail he can hit with a hammer is his own. Some guy looks like took my Idea and is making and selling them on EBay for about 25.00. Or for about 5.00 you can make your own.

WiskyT
04-23-2011, 20:39
What is the advatage to having the primers go down a tube into a container when there is already a container on the press?

unclebob
04-23-2011, 20:54
What is the advatage to having the primers go down a tube into a container when there is already a container on the press?

For one they can bounce out of the press primer catcher and go all over the floor. And when you forget to empty the catcher they go all over the floor. Or when you go to empty the container and you hit something they go all over the floor. I empty mine about once a year maybe. A large baby wipe box holds a lot of spent primers.

Boxerglocker
04-23-2011, 21:25
The guy who sells them on eBay is a Brian Enos forum member. He actually wrote a post stating the materials list and instructions.

Look here http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=42137&st=0

shotgunred
04-23-2011, 21:39
But go here post 74 is how I did it and 76 are pictures of it.
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/littman/be_pics/pstraub1.jpg

GioaJack
04-23-2011, 21:48
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/littman/be_pics/pstraub1.jpg

HEY!!! That looks like the primer catcher that comes on the LNL! :whistling:

Jack

WiskyT
04-24-2011, 06:45
For one they can bounce out of the press primer catcher and go all over the floor. And when you forget to empty the catcher they go all over the floor. Or when you go to empty the container and you hit something they go all over the floor. I empty mine about once a year maybe. A large baby wipe box holds a lot of spent primers.

What happens when you trip over the hose emptying the baby wipe box and spill them all over the floor?

What happens if Jack stops in for a spot of tea and hooks his cannula up to your spent primer tubing instead of his O2 concentrator?

What are you doing with baby wipes? (Don't answer that ones)

unclebob
04-24-2011, 06:48
Fred if you want Iíam sure that Steve could trace the outline of the piece of aluminum and send it to you. That is about the hardest part about the whole process is the layout. If you donít have any aluminum flat bar laying around. Send me your address and I will send you a piece. I think I still have two more screw. I well also send you a piece of vinyl tubing to fit over the ski ramp and a piece of rubber to fit between the frame and Chute/Ben mount. Then all you will have to do is drill the 3 holes, cut off the excess aluminum, and grind.

unclebob
04-24-2011, 06:51
Jack
Jack you are just a Duck Tape kind of guy.:wow:

unclebob
04-24-2011, 07:03
The guy who sells them on eBay is a Brian Enos forum member. He actually wrote a post stating the materials list and instructions.

Look here http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=42137&st=0

If you look his post is Dec 2006. If you go to when I posted, Post #74 Aug 2003. I'am also a Brian Enos forum member. I also list the materials need and instructions. The pictures on post #76 were posted by a friend of mine, since I do not have a camera.

What happens when you trip over the hose emptying the baby wipe box and spill them all over the floor?

What happens if Jack stops in for a spot of tea and hooks his cannula up to your spent primer tubing instead of his O2 concentrator?

What are you doing with baby wipes? (Don't answer that ones)

No hose to trip over the Box sits under the strong mount. The box is also a catcher for the media that comes out of the casefeeder and no longer goes all over the table top.
A friend of ours had a baby and I asked her to save the box for me. Minus the baby wipes.

shotgunred
04-24-2011, 09:53
Looks like a rainy day project. I haven't lost enough primers on the 650 to bug me yet.

jmorris
04-24-2011, 10:14
A friend wanted the tube/LNL style primer setup and I just drilled out a 44mag case backed off the metal bracket, slid the case in and snugged the bolts back. Two minute job.

On my 650's I just changed the bracket so none excape.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/reloading/primercup/primercup.jpg
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/reloading/primercup/pricup.jpg

Firecop203
04-24-2011, 10:30
I didn't know anyone else was making them. I got one that was advertised on ebay and it works great.

Boxerglocker
04-24-2011, 10:34
Looks like a rainy day project. I haven't lost enough primers on the 650 to bug me yet.

Me either. I would just build the lip up with a piece of sliver aluminum tape needed, like I did with my SDB's.

shotgunred
04-24-2011, 10:42
On my 650's I just changed the bracket so none excape.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/reloading/primercup/primercup.jpg

I like this one. I even have some square tubing about the right size. A couple of spot welds should do the trick.

fredj338
04-24-2011, 11:04
Thanks guys, something to do on a rainy day. It works fine, I just hate emptying the primer catcher often & getting back into place isn't as simple as the 550B. BOB223 had a sim setup on his LNL, I thought it was handy never having to change the primer catcher out.

unclebob
04-24-2011, 12:42
Thanks guys, something to do on a rainy day. It works fine, I just hate emptying the primer catcher often & getting back into place isn't as simple as the 550B. BOB223 had a sim setup on his LNL, I thought it was handy never having to change the primer catcher out.

Yep there have been a lot of different modifications on the primer cup. To keep the primers from falling out. But then you still have to empty the primer cup. My idea you do not modify anything on the press. Just remove the primer cup bracket and install the modification. If you donít like it you just unscrew it and put the bracket and primer cup back on. No trying to wedge a case in the press either that could fall out. Only need to empty the container maybe once a year. Depending on how much you reload. Never have really paid that much attention on how many spent primers well go in it before it needs to be emptied. And no Duck Tape.

GioaJack
04-24-2011, 12:47
Jack you are just a Duck Tape kind of guy.:wow:

Seems to me it'd be a lot easier just to vacuum the damn primers up off the floor.

Oh, that's right, you guys have domestic commanders... nevermind. :whistling:

Jack

shotgunred
04-24-2011, 12:51
That is because you are watching your maid bent over vacuuming them up. I bet you make her wear one of those french maid skits when she is doing it.
Me I have to do it my self. Trust me on this no one wants to stand behind me and watch me bend over vacuuming up primers. :wow:

jmorris
04-24-2011, 13:21
Here is what the drilled out 44 mag case with the rim slipped under the stock bracket looks like. No mods and you don't even have to remove anything.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/reloading/primercup/IMG00069-20110424-1355.jpg

unclebob
04-24-2011, 13:49
Here is what the drilled out 44 mag case with the rim slipped under the stock bracket looks like. No mods and you don't even have to remove anything.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/reloading/primercup/IMG00069-20110424-1355.jpg

That was one of my original ideas. But at that time I also wanted to get rid the of the spent primer bracket to make it easier when removing or installing the primer punch. Then after I made the bracket. I then found out that all you need to do was just us the small primer punch for both the small and large primers. You can go to Brian Enos sight on 650 tip and tricks and there are 10 to 15 different ways of doing it.