Need help choosing a chronograph [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need help choosing a chronograph

outdoorsman44
04-24-2011, 00:07
Hey everyone,

I was just wondering what would be a good chronograph to take to the range with me to chrono my carry ammo out of my different Glocks. I am not a reloader, in the future I want to learn, but right now I am just looking for a good chronograph and thought this forum would be a great place to ask this question. I was just looking at topgunsupply and they have some chronographs that looked good. Here is a link to the page: http://www.topgunsupply.com/shooting-chronographs/?sort=price&sort_direction=1
Again, I'm looking for a good quality chronograph that I can use at the range and that is easy to set up and take down.

Any and all advice and opinions on which chronographs are good please let me know. Thanks.

Outdoorsman44

Boxerglocker
04-24-2011, 00:13
Hey everyone,

I was just wondering what would be a good chronograph to take to the range with me to chrono my carry ammo out of my different Glocks. I am not a reloader, in the future I want to learn, but right now I am just looking for a good chronograph and thought this forum would be a great place to ask this question. I was just looking at topgunsupply and they have some chronographs that looked good. Here is a link to the page: http://www.topgunsupply.com/shooting-chronographs/?sort=price&sort_direction=1
Again, I'm looking for a good quality chronograph that I can use at the range and that is easy to set up and take down.

Any and all advice and opinions on which chronographs are good please let me know. Thanks.

Outdoorsman44

A couple guys I know have the Competition Electronics ProChrono Digital Chronograph

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=852429

I have used it and it's great. I'm told it is one of the better ones regarding being able to consistently pick up shots and I have to agree after using it.
The reviews are great.

BTW, this one will be on sale on the 25th according to the latest Midway flyer. I'll be picking one up myself along with the indoor light kit.

outdoorsman44
04-24-2011, 00:28
A couple guys I know have the Competition Electronics ProChrono Digital Chronograph

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=852429

I have used it and it's great. I'm told it is one of the better ones regarding being able to consistently pick up shots and I have to agree after using it.
The reviews are great.

BTW, this one will be on sale on the 25th according to the latest Midway flyer. I'll be picking one up myself along with the indoor light kit.
Thanks for the link to that one it looks like a good one. Does it come with a stand? I was reading the reviews and someone said that you have to stand ten feet away from the muzzle. If I was at the range I would just put in on a stand ten feet in front of me and I'm good? Sorry for the questions, I am totally new to chronographs.

Outdoorsman44

Boxerglocker
04-24-2011, 00:40
Any standard tripod will work. You can get one from Walmart for $20. Yeah just stand it 10 feet in front of you and aim through the center of the rods.

outdoorsman44
04-24-2011, 00:47
Any standard tripod will work. You can get one from Walmart for $20. Yeah just stand it 10 feet in front of you and ain through the center of the rods.
Awesome! I usually shoot at indoor ranges, would that cause a problem to this chronograph? I really appreciate your help. Also, when they talk about strings, does this mean that you have to change them or something? I know, this could be the dumbest question ever asked, but I am totally new to these.:embarassed: Thanks again,

Outdoorsman44

Boxerglocker
04-24-2011, 01:17
Awesome! I usually shoot at indoor ranges, would that cause a problem to this chronograph? I really appreciate your help. Also, when they talk about strings, does this mean that you have to change them or something? I know, this could be the dumbest question ever asked, but I am totally new to these.:embarassed: Thanks again,

Outdoorsman44

"Strings" are the number of shots you take of a given load to average. 5 shots or 10 shot strings... Indoor you'll need the additional light kit.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=154951
Only issue with this is you'll have to have some powered outlet nearby.

outdoorsman44
04-24-2011, 02:42
"Strings" are the number of shots you take of a given load to average. 5 shots or 10 shot strings... Indoor you'll need the additional light kit.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=154951
Only issue with this is you'll have to have some powered outlet nearby.
Thanks for all of the info you have provided me with. Do some chronographs come made for shooting indoors and you don't need the additional light kit? But I was reading reviews and sometimes they are not very good. You have linked me to a great product. If it's used outdoors do you have to be in the full sun or what? This is the one that you would definitely recommend?

Thanks again

dudel
04-24-2011, 05:48

Outdoorsman44

The problem with indoor ranges is they don't want you going over the line, 10' into the hot zone to setup/retrieve/reset the chrono. You need to make special arrangements with them. The one I went to was ok with it if I came early and was the only shooter.

Outdoor ranges will usually declare periodic cease fire, where people head down range to reset targets, etc.

If you use a chrono in any of these conditions, a remote display is very usefull. Myself, I like my CED M2.

Kwesi
04-24-2011, 05:49
+1 for the recommendation of boxer. I have it and really like it. Nice software to download it to an excel spreadsheet. BTW: I found the option that speaks the velocity particularly nice. If something is not right in the set up: outdoor conditions (sun,etc.) etc you will know quickly and not waste a lot of rounds! I've only used mine outside.

PCJim
04-24-2011, 07:26
Chronographs need a good light source, although not direct sunlight (hense the sunshades you see them displayed with). Chronographs will not work under fluorescent lighting, so you will need to know what lighting system is in use at your indoor range. I doubt there would be enough light anyway. I believe the optional lighting systems sold for chronographs use infrared lighting.

Personally, I use the Chrony Beta Master. You'll find pro and con reviews of the unit. I've not had any problems with mine when used in adequate light (ambient light in my garage wasn't enough). Like said above, a remote display is pretty much a must.

fredj338
04-24-2011, 11:32
Unless you want to pop for a used Oehler, the best on the market right now IMO is the CED. Good screens, easy to use & you aren't shooting at the guts of the chrono. I have shot my Oehler, the CED & Chrony Master back to back to back, they all read within 10fps of each other. The rub, Chrony screens are very poor quality & miss more shots than the others. We switched them around so all chronographs got equal time in each position & the Chrony always missed mor shots, upto 50% more. Unacceptable for anyone testing handloads, especially if you have to drive any distance to test fire. For the casula guy checking his PF, they'll work, it may take more shots, but the Chrony does work.

outdoorsman44
04-25-2011, 15:55
Do all of the chronographs have to be put back about ten feet or are there some out there that you basically put the muzzle right over? I appreciate everyone's help, I am very new to chronographs

unclebob
04-25-2011, 16:03
Do all of the chronographs have to be put back about ten feet or are there some out there that you basically put the muzzle right over? I appreciate everyone's help, I am very new to chronographs

You want to record the speed of the bullet. Not the muzzle blast. AKA 10 feet.

fredj338
04-25-2011, 16:04
No, they all need to be away from the muzzle as the muzzle blast will trip the screens &/or actually damage them. Even 10ft is too close for magnums & rifles.

Boxerglocker
04-25-2011, 16:40
I just took my own advice and bought the Competition Electronics chrono with the Indoor Lighting Setup. Total was $161 total delivered. Saved $10 on the light kit using the 51176 coupon code for $10 off $50 purchase.

New toys! New Toys! I better work overtime this weekend :embarassed:

GioaJack
04-25-2011, 16:59
I just took my own advice and bought the Competition Electronics chrono with the Indoor Lighting Setup. Total was $161 total delivered. Saved $10 on the light kit using the 51176 coupon code for $10 off $50 purchase.

New toys! New Toys! I better work overtime this weekend :embarassed:

Those who take great joy in NEW TOYS are of questionable moral character. :whistling:

Jack

Boxerglocker
04-25-2011, 17:03
Those who take great joy in NEW TOYS are of questionable moral character. :whistling:

Jack

Jack that's like the pot calling the kettle black coming from you :cool:

GioaJack
04-25-2011, 17:10
Jack that's like the pot calling the kettle black coming from you :cool:

Would you want me dating your sister, er, mother, er... okay, grandmother? I rest my case.

Besides, I don't buy toys, I invest in new pieces of equipment so I can do a detailed product review in an attempt to lead the newbs on the correct path. This should come as no surprise to you since you know how compassionate and helpful I can be.

I derive no pleasure what-so-ever in having all this dust collecting junk laying around. :supergrin:

Jack

outdoorsman44
04-27-2011, 22:29
Thanks so much everyone for all of your help, advice, and opinions regarding chronographs. Everyone is so helpful here, especially to the newbies. You don't see that happening too much these days, thankfully people here on GlockTalk are awesome!!