.308 dies recommendation [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : .308 dies recommendation

RRTX11
04-26-2011, 08:12
What dies do you recommend for .308? I have a dillon 550 B. Not looking to set any bench rest records, but looking for a good set of carbide dies.

thanks,

Greg

Gypsie
04-26-2011, 09:32
Redding Full length bushing dies .334, .335, and .336 should cover what you need for loading a 308 win-lapua brass.
Rotate your brass 90 degrees after seating your bullet and rotate again
resetting your bullet again.
Truing primer pockets and cutting the inside of your flash holes will help also.

unclebob
04-26-2011, 10:07
What dies do you recommend for .308? I have a dillon 550 B. Not looking to set any bench rest records, but looking for a good set of carbide dies.

thanks,

Greg
The only company that I know of that has carbide full length .308 sizing die dies is Dillon. But you still have to lube the case. Some companys have neck bushings and carbide sizing buttons. Other than RCBS dies let your pocket book choose. I hight recommend the Redding.

Hoser
04-26-2011, 11:26
Dillon and Redding. As noted above, Dillon is the only game in town for carbide 308 dies. And they are a FL and small base die.

Three-Five-Seven
04-26-2011, 11:39
The best sizing die for .308 is the Forster. It is not carbide, so lube is necessary.

The best seating die for the .308 is the Redding micrometer.

Don't waste your money on a set. Don't get started with collets as you'll end up doing a lot of work (turning, etc.) that will NOT result in any appreciable improvement in accuracy.

EL_NinO619
04-26-2011, 16:43
I have made many 3 leaf clover .47 inch groups using Standard LEE dies and also the collet die. But if i was going to drop coin, Redding for sure. Carbide is useless for rifle unless you plan on loading commercially.

Murphy's Law
04-27-2011, 06:54
I have Dillon carbide dies for all my calibers that I load and no exception when I got my Remy 700 PSS. Yes they are expensive but when loading on my 550B, their smooth as silk. Your suppose to lube even with these, but I've loaded a few without the lube and honestly, I can't tell the difference. Even if I was to have a stuck case, the way Dillon designs their dies, that's a piece of cake as well (has yet to ever happen to me). Another reason for going with Dillon with my 550B is the conversion plate is the same as 45 cal which I load as well. Only had to order the 308 powder funnel and I was off and running.
:supergrin: