The Mighty Mosin-Nagant! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : The Mighty Mosin-Nagant!

Joshua M. Smith
04-26-2011, 13:57
Hello,

I've not seen threads here recently on the Mosin-Nagant. They used to be here quite a bit.

After owning several different carbines, some black, some semi-black (a cherry Camp 45 comes to mind; got rid of it to a collector because I kept wanting to SHOOT it!), I have come back to the first rifle I owned, a Mosin-Nagant.

In Indiana, we cannot use rifle-caliber rifles for deer hunting, so I was raised mostly on slug guns and .22 rimfires. I always kept a shotgun around for defense.

Now, I've lived in the country for most of my 33 years. I was born in the country, and except for college, haven't left. I like stepping out the back door to shoot.

The Mosin-Nagant is capable, correctly set-up, of 1.5 to 1MOA groups, with sub-MOA groups not being uncommon.

I find it very efficient at knocking over whatever I need to knock over, and, having figured out "sticky bolt syndrome", I can work it as fast as a lefty can work a bolt action, and faster than I can work most bolt actions as, reaching over, I encounter a straight bolt instead of a bent bolt.

Though I prefer one handgun or another for home defense because it leaves one hand free, the Mosin-Nagant would be formidable, not for its rate of fire, but for its bayonet. I think anyone who has ever been in the martial arts (and most people who have not) can appreciate a long, pointy object on the end of a heavy wooden pole.

I do have plans to build a .223 precision bolt action that will match my Savage rimfire target/"squirrel sniper" rifle, and I will build a companion AR to the bolt rifle. However, the main battle rifle, I feel, will always have a place in my home, whether the rifle in question is a Mosin-Nagant, M1A or Garand, or even old Japanese Arisakas and German Mausers.

What say you? Do we still have folks here who enjoy old school, and utilize them for pest control purposes?

Josh

jakebrake
04-26-2011, 14:01
as the proud papa pf a 91/30 and an m53, i love them! the "doom" sound alone is worth the price of admission and chiropractic care! ammunition is dirt cheap, the rifles are dirt cheap, they are just downright fun.

pest control? in my meighborhood. we have squirrels. that would be a bit of overkill.

bought an argentine mauser 7.65 for $125 with 50 rounds.

the old and cheap are way too much fun to pass up. now, do any of your arisakas have the crysanthimum (or however it's spelled)?

M&P15T
04-26-2011, 14:13
Hello,

I've not seen threads here recently on the Mosin-Nagant. They used to be here quite a bit.

After owning several different carbines, some black, some semi-black (a cherry Camp 45 comes to mind; got rid of it to a collector because I kept wanting to SHOOT it!), I have come back to the first rifle I owned, a Mosin-Nagant.

In Indiana, we cannot use rifle-caliber rifles for deer hunting, so I was raised mostly on slug guns and .22 rimfires. I always kept a shotgun around for defense.

Now, I've lived in the country for most of my 33 years. I was born in the country, and except for college, haven't left. I like stepping out the back door to shoot.

The Mosin-Nagant is capable, correctly set-up, of 1.5 to 1MOA groups, with sub-MOA groups not being uncommon.

I find it very efficient at knocking over whatever I need to knock over, and, having figured out "sticky bolt syndrome", I can work it as fast as a lefty can work a bolt action, and faster than I can work most bolt actions as, reaching over, I encounter a straight bolt instead of a bent bolt.

Though I prefer one handgun or another for home defense because it leaves one hand free, the Mosin-Nagant would be formidable, not for its rate of fire, but for its bayonet. I think anyone who has ever been in the martial arts (and most people who have not) can appreciate a long, pointy object on the end of a heavy wooden pole.

I do have plans to build a .223 precision bolt action that will match my Savage rimfire target/"squirrel sniper" rifle, and I will build a companion AR to the bolt rifle. However, the main battle rifle, I feel, will always have a place in my home, whether the rifle in question is a Mosin-Nagant, M1A or Garand, or even old Japanese Arisakas and German Mausers.

What say you? Do we still have folks here who enjoy old school, and utilize them for pest control purposes?

Josh

People don't post about Mosins here because this is the Black Rifle Forum, dedicated to the AR platform. However, there have been a few excellent threads about Mosins in the General Firearms Forum, and I'm sure that if you started a thread there (or got this one moved by the mods), you'd find that there are many who share your keen interest in that fine old warhorse.

WayaX
04-26-2011, 14:15
Is this a joke?

The nagant is not a black rifle so it does not belong in this forum.

The idea of one for home defense is dumb. The idea of the bayonet for home defense is dumber still. Humanity has reached a new low.

And don't insult martial artists like this.

M&P15T
04-26-2011, 14:18
Is this a joke?

The idea of one for home defense is dumb. The idea of the bayonet for home defense is dumber still. Humanity has reached a new low.

Easy.....I'm sure it was just an over-sight.

Nothin' to get riled about.:supergrin:

faawrenchbndr
04-26-2011, 14:20
Repost in general firearms or the mil-surp page

WayaX
04-26-2011, 14:28
Easy.....I'm sure it was just an over-sight.

Nothin' to get riled about.:supergrin:

Even in general firearms the idea of a long bolt action rifle with bayonet attached is just stupid.

Threads can be moved, stupidity cannot.

MadMonkey
04-26-2011, 14:30
Is this a joke?

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/duty_calls.png

M&P15T
04-26-2011, 14:54
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/duty_calls.png

Oh for Chrisssake!:rofl::rofl:

DieselNut
04-26-2011, 14:55
Ever wonder why you hardly see a mosin post on the black rifle forum? Maybe that's because its :offtopic:

I do like them though. Actually thinking about picking up 2 91/30s myself. Try it on the milsurp thread, you'd probably have better luck. :wavey:

raven11
04-26-2011, 14:58
Is this a joke?

Fixed!

http://cdn8.wn.com/vp/i/b9/df7c8215bc9a82.jpg

M&P15T
04-26-2011, 15:01
The best part is that a thread posted incorrectly, raising the incredible ire of a poster or three, is getting the most and fastest replies of any thread in this forum in weeks!:rofl::rofl:

M&P15T
04-26-2011, 15:03
http://cdn8.wn.com/vp/i/b9/df7c8215bc9a82.jpg

Dear Lord, please tell me this is a joke, right? I mean, this is just someone funnin' on Nutnfancy, right?:rofl:

RyanNREMTP
04-26-2011, 15:11
The best part is that a thread posted incorrectly, raising the incredible ire of a poster or three, is getting the most and fastest replies of any thread in this forum in weeks!:rofl::rofl:

Tell me about it. An hour ago it had 3 replies not it's over 12. What must we do for some excitement around here.

M&P15T
04-26-2011, 15:15
Tell me about it. An hour ago it had 3 replies not it's over 12. What must we do for some excitement around here.

If one really wanted to get this joint hopping, you could start a thread about the most incredible new AR on the market. It would need to be described as the ultimate, the pinnacle of AR evolution, nay revoultion, and represent a new Gold Medal standard AR wise.

Then link a video about an AirSoft AR.:rofl:

raven11
04-26-2011, 15:39
Dear Lord, please tell me this is a joke, right? I mean, this is just someone funnin' on Nutnfancy, right?:rofl:

it is all true,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCX5zj6zvtM&feature=fvsr

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eqG5GJRies&feature=relmfu
and a future 3 part mosin review

the one saving grace I can offer is that he did buy a non-molested mosin to review

MadMonkey
04-26-2011, 15:49
Not a black rifle?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3173/2635022443_cabe134070.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/WikingSS/tacMosin-1.jpg

http://www.makarov.com/mosmount/9130atimount01.JPG

http://www.makarov.com/mosmount/M44-03MkII.JPG

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/49/167817825_b57391246a.jpg

Okey doke...:embarassed:

Joshua M. Smith
04-26-2011, 16:19
Is this a joke?

So your contention is that the Mosin-Nagant is somehow less effective than when it was introduced, or when it helped to turn the Nazis from Russia? If so, how?

As for it not being a black rifle, I can see your point. However, with all the modifications available, people make it into a black rifle, so I posted this here. Most C&R fora tend to focus on the history, not utility. It was a judgement call, and with Ruger and Savage making bolt-action black scout-type rifles now, I felt the posting in here to be justified.

Josh

NeverMore1701
04-26-2011, 16:22
So your contention is that the Mosin-Nagant is somehow less effective than when it was introduced, or when it helped to turn the Nazis from Russia? If so, how?

As for it not being a black rifle, I can see your point. However, with all the modifications available, people make it into a black rifle, so I posted this here. Most C&R fora tend to focus on the history, not utility. It was a judgement call, and with Ruger and Savage making bolt-action black scout-type rifles now, I felt the posting in here to be justified.

Josh

Wrong forum, horrible choice for HD, done.

Gunnut 45/454
04-26-2011, 16:23
Well any gun where you have to beat the bolt open "Like a Russian mail order bride" Isn't wurth spit! Hell my Mauser K98 runs like a well oiled stripper! And its an all "Black rifle"!:supergrin:

Joshua M. Smith
04-26-2011, 16:30
Wrong forum, horrible choice for HD, done.

Back this up with facts. Why?

First, define "black rifle." What is a black rifle? Does an SKS qualify? How about the Savage and the Ruger scout rifles?

Why terrible for home defense. Define home defense. Against what? As I stated, I'll take a handgun first, and probably will soon build a dedicated home-defense pistol around a Beretta 92, but have a light, extended mag, and optics on it (night sights at least). For now, it's my 1911 carry pistol or a shotgun.

If something's beyond the range of the shotgun or handgun, it gets the rifle.

Home defense here involves extermination of coyotes. I am not suburban or urban like many folks; I am rural and have been for the majority of my life.

You state opinions without backing them up with facts. That just doesn't fly. I can give you a million reasons why the AR sucks for me, but most of those reasons don't hold water for the majority of users, so it makes them mostly opinions.

So, I would very much like you to back your contentions up.

Josh

NeverMore1701
04-26-2011, 16:40
Back this up with facts. Why?

First, define "black rifle." What is a black rifle? Does an SKS qualify? How about the Savage and the Ruger scout rifles?

Why terrible for home defense. Define home defense. Against what? As I stated, I'll take a handgun first, and probably will soon build a dedicated home-defense pistol around a Beretta 92, but have a light, extended mag, and optics on it (night sights at least). For now, it's my 1911 carry pistol or a shotgun.

If something's beyond the range of the shotgun or handgun, it gets the rifle.

Home defense here involves extermination of coyotes. I am not suburban or urban like many folks; I am rural and have been for the majority of my life.

You state opinions without backing them up with facts. That just doesn't fly. I can give you a million reasons why the AR sucks for me, but most of those reasons don't hold water for the majority of users, so it makes them mostly opinions.

So, I would very much like you to back your contentions up.

Josh

And we'd like you to post in the proper forums. I guess none of us are going to get what we want.

Joshua M. Smith
04-26-2011, 17:08
Well any gun where you have to beat the bolt open "Like a Russian mail order bride" Isn't wurth spit! Hell my Mauser K98 runs like a well oiled stripper! And its an all "Black rifle"!:supergrin:

Yeah, I'll concede "sticky bolt syndrome" can be bad.

However, people concentrate on the chamber too much. A lot of the time the locking lugs are what stick. I just polish mine as I would on a more expensive rifle, being sure to check headspace every 10 turns of the bolt.

I've not had sticky bolt syndrome once since doing this. I just reach over and hook the handle with my thumb (I'm a lefty) and open it.

I can work this action faster than any bent-bolt rifle unless it's a lefty, or a straight bolt Mauser or Arisaka.

Josh

Joshua M. Smith
04-26-2011, 17:09
And we'd like you to post in the proper forums. I guess none of us are going to get what we want.

You still haven't told me why the Mosin-Nagant is not a black rifle...

Avoiding the issues. Nice. Puts me in mind of some of our elected officials, but I'll not go there. I don't like to discuss politics on gun boards.

Josh

M&P15T
04-26-2011, 17:10
First, define "black rifle." What is a black rifle? Does an SKS qualify? How about the Savage and the Ruger scout rifles?Josh

Joshua..buddy...old pal.

Seriously dude, this is Glock Talk's AR15/M16/M4/AR10 platform forum. If you don't believe me or anyone else that's trying to explain this to you, take a look at other threads.

Do you see any threads about Savage and Ruger rifles? No, you don't
Hell, there's hardly any threads about SCARs and ACRs in this forum, and they are (sometimes) black 5.56MM assault rifles.

Let it go. Start another thread in the General Firearms forum.