carrying same gun make [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : carrying same gun make

dpadams6
04-27-2011, 11:40
Mr. Ayoob-

I am a LEO and carried a sig duty weapon for the past 18 years. We just switched to the glock. I really liked the sig, and carried one off duty. My question is: What are your thoughts on always carrying the same make gun vs. many different types (grip angles). As you know, the glock grip angle is different then most and is what i must carry at work. Do you think it's smart to also stick with that for off duty?

Mas Ayoob
04-27-2011, 16:45
The general consensus is to carry the same kind of gun all the time, for the reasons you mention among others.

That said, I and a lot of others get by switching guns all the time, and often, our backup guns are completely different from our primary handguns. So long as you're familiar with both, I see no huge problem.

If you rely on pure point shooting, which I would define as a body position index with which you cannot actually see the gun superimposed on what you are shooting at, the feel and grip angle would become MUCH more important, and staying with the same feel and grip angle would be much more critical. Not quite so much when your action plan is to visually index the sights.

best,
Mas