Night sites visible to night vision devices? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Night sites visible to night vision devices?

jstephens202
04-27-2011, 12:53
Mas, just wondering, would night sites be visible to night vision devices? If so, would it only be from behind? Just wondering as we recently found some Russian surplus NVG's during a warrant service. Thanks for taking the time to answer all the questions you get....your advice is valued!

James Stephens

Mas Ayoob
04-27-2011, 16:53
James, take them out and test-drive them in a controlled testing environment. There might be some "light spillover" even if the faces of the tritium ampoules were not angled toward the NVDs. I haven't tried it from that angle and honestly can't answer your question.

I CAN tell you that while you'll be hard put to get a workable sight picture with regular sights through night vision goggles, a bright pair of night sights lets you align your sights for solid hits out to 7 yards or so through them. The night sights will appear as three blobs; put the middle blob atop the other two in the middle and make your shot.

However, that's from the shooter's perspective and I get a sense you're more interested in the perspective from the opposite side. I'd suggest you check with John Barbieri for his opinion in the GATE Night Vision section.

You might also want to open a thread here in Training and Tactics and/or Cop Talk. Those neighborhoods at Glock Talk have lots of experienced SWAT and military operators who have more experience with this than I and can probably give you a better answer.

Best,
Mas