RockRiver [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : RockRiver

STI
04-27-2011, 15:09
Anyone with a Operator 2 shown on the new website? Opinions?
I have had 1 for a month and love it.
Thanks for any replies.
Sandy

boomhower
04-27-2011, 15:18
Not what I would recommend but since you already bought it, enjoy it! RRA are decent enough but have some shortcomings. Check and make sure what should be staked is staked. If believe they are still using commercial extensions.

Sharkey
04-27-2011, 16:56
I just asked about these yesterday. Do a search and you'll see there is a guy on here who recently bought one. I can't remember his screen name.

I'm going to purchase one in the upcoming weeks. I like them.

STI
04-27-2011, 19:58
Looked again today and everything is double staked (2 sides), the rifle shot very well for me in the accurcy testing I did with my 8x32x scope on it, the last 3 groups were all minute of angle or less, it will outshoot my Colt hands down, the rifle is very tight with an excellent trigger for a AR. I am very pleased with my purchase, I do wish to replace the rear sight with a flip down version. I have an EOT on it and it works very well for my use. The rifle is used daily on our ranch.

Captains1911
04-27-2011, 20:44
Still slaying coyotes and rattlesnakes with that thing?

For a folding rear sight I'd recommend Troy if you want the best, or Magpul MBUS for budget.

SigFTW
04-28-2011, 07:22
Looked again today and everything is double staked (2 sides), the rifle shot very well for me in the accurcy testing I did with my 8x32x scope on it, the last 3 groups were all minute of angle or less, it will outshoot my Colt hands down, the rifle is very tight with an excellent trigger for a AR. I am very pleased with my purchase, I do wish to replace the rear sight with a flip down version. I have an EOT on it and it works very well for my use. The rifle is used daily on our ranch.

I have one too and love it!

Captains1911
04-28-2011, 07:35
Looked again today and everything is double staked (2 sides),

Even though there is some staking, it may be weak, RRA is notorious for this. If you could post a picture of the carrier key we can tell you if it's adequate or not. If it's not, it's very easy to improve, you can probably do it yourself, if needed.

STI
04-28-2011, 07:49
Hey 1911 Its getting well broke in quick, not 1 problem at all with it, the snake season is about to hit full swing here like it does every spring, I got 1 yesterday with it for a total of 3 so far. I go hunt cotton mouths daily with it for an hr or so, when they really come out like they did last year and year before I got 17 in 45 min 2 yrs ago. The eotech is very nice, I really like it but I think that I will look for a flip rear sight to go on it, they do all line up perfect though. I have a can of wcc 55gr ball left over from my M4 days and it loves this, although I have not got to try any really good ammo in it, I also tried some steel wolf of a friends to go the other way on the scale and it did ok with that too. I carry 20rd mags in it due to size and have shot almost 2 of them all at game with it, a 63gr wolf will really splatter a crow. I dont like this ammo but had to try it to find out.
The only down to the rifle is mud get in the rails bad and I have to get it out every few days. The rails are a dust and dirt magnet also! This seems in every way as well built as my FN that I had for 4 yrs, I read all the post here and wonder about some things posted, If it breaks I'll fix it! I use this rifle daily, it has been cleaned 2 times since I got it, last time to remove mud. I know there are many on here that are brand orienated to different brand rifles but so far I really like my RR. I guess its like my STI 1911's, they work.

rem2429
04-28-2011, 08:06
No to the operator, but yes to rock river 16 in mid-length.
It was my first AR years ago, during the ban years when the company was new, and was one of the first mid-lengths I could get.
It would not be my choice for a rifle to take to war, but they have good triggers, great barrels and are good all around guns. Mine will still do MOA with good ammo. There are a lot of hunters and competition shooters that prefer them for these reasons.
I will never sell this rifle, despite lack of M4 feedramps, no chrome lining, 1:9 twist barrel, and no muzzle threads. It's a shooter.

happyguy
04-28-2011, 08:14
Well you've gone and done it now. How dare you buy a non-top tier non-mil-spec AR?

Momentarily a Mall Ninja Mil-Spec Nazi will be along to regale you with stories of his last carbine class where his LMTBRAVOCOMPANYCOLT digested 10,000 rounds in two hours and the only other guns that had problems were the Bushmaster and RRA.:rofl:

RRA's are good guns.

Regards,
Happyguy :)

faawrenchbndr
04-28-2011, 08:20
......RRA's are good guns.

Yep,.....congrats! :supergrin:

SigFTW
04-28-2011, 08:23
Even though there is some staking, it may be weak, RRA is notorious for this. If you could post a picture of the carrier key we can tell you if it's adequate or not. If it's not, it's very easy to improve, you can probably do it yourself, if needed.

FYI, this has been corrected. On older RRAs I would verify.

STI
04-28-2011, 08:32
My Colt is on its 3rd barrel and will not hold a candle to the RR but its an antique also! pre SP1 model AR with all green furniture, it has really had the rounds through it as I got free ammo for along time. I had several 1 can a day shoots with it yrs ago, if I rememer that was 840 rounds I think.

STI
04-28-2011, 08:34
I will get pics today of something either dead or rifles. Keep intouch.

bullittmcqueen
04-28-2011, 08:41
The RRA carbine I just sold was a good shooter. I could shoot MOA consistently with good ammo. The staking was "ok" but I did have it MOACKS'd just to be sure. They shoot well no doubt because the barrels are chrome-moly standard.

I didn't like the heave barrel profile on mine. It became aggravating after a while. It was a good first AR but I probably will not have another RRA.

STI
04-28-2011, 09:01
The RR seems to serve my purpose well as it rides in the front seat of a pickup daily and had already been on 1 ride already today with me and my shepherd Mike, when I think back of all the rifles,pistols and others that we built or I have had and the real failures there were only 3 that I can remember out of many all Springfield 1911's 9mm's but thats another story thats long ago dead. I have friends with all brands of AR's that use them on a daily basis and they all seem to do ok, I do agree that the weight of this RR could be a factor sometimes but for my use its fine. My Marlin 39A 22 is my light rifle or my John Ceiner Ruger 10-22 with the titianium suppressor is almost too light in the front end. On the other scale my 6m/m - 284 at 21 lbs is a hoss to move around with its 30" #7 countour barrel. I have several 980yds kills with it but I never got my 1000 yd one.