Best lube for Bullet mold and grain question. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Best lube for Bullet mold and grain question.

BSA70
04-27-2011, 15:52
Whats the best-simple lube for my bullet mold, I now it gets very hot and the instructions warn about the possible problems with failure to lube. I have an aluminum lee mold.

How many grains in a pound of lead? I'm pouring 148 grain and curious how many I can get out of a pound.

Thanks

GioaJack
04-27-2011, 16:02
Same as in a pound of powder... 7,000 grains.

Sorry that I can't help you with the lube, I don't use aluminum moulds.

Jack

Duck of Death
04-27-2011, 16:04
Smoke your mold w/a candle. 7000 grains = 1 lb.

No oil on a mold, don't let it get that hot, slow down if you have to.

fredj338
04-27-2011, 16:30
Whats the best-simple lube for my bullet mold, I now it gets very hot and the instructions warn about the possible problems with failure to lube. I have an aluminum lee mold.

How many grains in a pound of lead? I'm pouring 148 grain and curious how many I can get out of a pound.

Thanks

You have to lube the contact points & spru plate. Some guys use Bull Plate lube, it gets great reviews, some use bullet lube or beeswax. Just use something per the insutrctions or you can quickly ruing the Lee molds. Like Jack, I prefer iron or brass molds, but do use some of the Lee 6cavs w/ success.

Bob2223
04-27-2011, 17:39
For the pivot points anti seize has worked good for me, a one oz tube will last a long time and can be found at about any auto parts store.
For the sprue plate and top of mould, molly or the bull shop sprue plate lube works great.
I like the bull plate sprue lube,,

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Permatex-1-oz-28-35-g-anti-seize-lubricant?itemIdentifier=526814

http://bullshop.gunloads.com/tbs_lube.htm

Bob

RustyFN
04-27-2011, 19:02
I use anti-sieze on the pins and sprue plate. I am using steel moulds.

http://shopping.rexmar.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/167196.jpg

BSA70
04-28-2011, 12:04
I use anti-sieze on the pins and sprue plate. I am using steel moulds.

http://shopping.rexmar.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/167196.jpg

Went and bought some today at Advanced auto, thanks..

Three-Five-Seven
04-28-2011, 12:50
For the pins and sprue plate, Bull Plate Lube is your huckleberry. Accept no substitutes. Be careful not to get any in the cavities.

BSA70
04-28-2011, 13:29
For the pins and sprue plate, Bull Plate Lube is your huckleberry. Accept no substitutes. Be careful not to get any in the cavities.

I know the anti seize lube I just bought is not the best on the sprue plate but will it protect the mold if I try to use it or do I have to get this special lube?

GioaJack
04-28-2011, 13:58
I know the anti seize lube I just bought is not the best on the sprue plate but will it protect the mold if I try to use it or do I have to get this special lube?

There's a plethora of lubes out there, all claiming to be better than the others. Personally I've never used any type of lube on my iron moulds, (don't know if it's necessary on aluminum) and the vast majority of them are over 45 years old. I simply use 0000 grade steel wool to keep everything clean and working smoothly.

Last year Bob2223 sent me a small bottle of Bull Plate. I've never even had a reason to try it but I'm not sending it back... let him suffer.

I see no reason why the anti-seize wouldn't work... it'll just make you look like a CRB. Take pride in that.

Jack

WiskyT
04-28-2011, 17:19
I never understood people using never-sieze as a lube on anything. It's not a lube, it's for stopping parts from siezing togeather. I guess it works for molds despite that fact. It is also a mess to work with. Whatever you get it on (like your finger) will look like it was painted with aluminum paint and it is hard to get off.

Use a candle to lube the pins and sprew pivot. JUST TOUCH it to the lube points when the mold is hot. Anymore than a glancing touch will cause the instantly melting candle wax to run into the cavities and give you wrinkles.

I never lube the sprue plate itself and never saw a reason too.

I never saw a difference between smoking and not smoking a mold, unless I used a candle. Don't use a candle to smoke the mold, the instructions tell you not to use a candle to smoke a mold. Candle smoke has enough waxy residue in it to give you wrinkled bullets. If you want to smoke the mold, it won't hurt anything, use wooden matches or a butane lighter.

Bob2223
04-28-2011, 17:26

Last year Bob2223 sent me a small bottle of Bull Plate. I've never even had a reason to try it but I'm not sending it back... let him suffer.

Jack

Dang it I've waited all this time for you to use that little bottle of super glu or I mean sprue lube on a mould !

Bob

BigDog[RE]
04-29-2011, 07:07
I used to smoke the mold cavities using a match, but I am a very lazy at heart, so I switched to spraying them with Lyman Super Moly. It works well, the bullets drop cleanly, and it helps prevent rust.

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/tumblers/super-moly-spray.php

390ish
04-29-2011, 20:24
Follow the Lee instructions. Put some liquid alox on the pivot points and on the contact points on the mould (where the mould joins at pins) and it will run like a champ. I like aluminum moulds better than iron moulds until i use my iron moulds.

WiskyT
04-29-2011, 20:27
Follow the Lee instructions. Put some liquid alox on the pivot points and on the contact points on the mould (where the mould joins at pins) and it will run like a champ. I like aluminum moulds better than iron moulds until i use my iron moulds.

The mold instructions specifically say NOT to use liquid alox when they refer to bullet lube being used to lube the mold. But other than that, yeah, follow the instructions.