Newb AR Build help (NJ legal) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Newb AR Build help (NJ legal)

xkon
04-27-2011, 16:33
Okay so Ive been bitten by the rifle bug and decide I want to venture further out than just my handguns. I would like to build/assemble my own AR with a few stipulations and need some help on a variety of questions. I LIVE IN NEW JERSEY :crying:, just to point that out because that will be the biggest obstacle. The gun will be used for target practice, around 300 yards would be the max, with the possibility of further. I am also on a budget of hopefully less than $1000. So with that in mind here goes.

Okay, so I don't know much about rifle calibers. What calibers are common on ARs? Which ones would be fairly accurate to 300 yards? Also what caliber is the most cost effective? While I dont need an extremely powerful round because it mainly will be only target practice, I dont want something really weak either that wouldnt knock a squirrel over.

After a caliber is chosen, I must decide on a few other things. Is buying a stripped lower and assembling the lower yourself and then purchasing a completed upper usually cheaper than a prebuilt AR? This is the route that I am looking at.

What is everything that would be needed to put a rifle together? The stripped lower, lower parts kit with the grip and trigger, a stock, magazines, and a completed upper? Is there anything else that I dont know of?

Where are some good websites that sell the supplies that are needed to make this all come together? Also any good links to any write ups would also be appreciated.

Lastly, what are some quality brands for the upper and lower that I could go with to keep me within budget while still building a reliable, accurate rifle?

Thanks all for any help, and Im sure ill have more questions as I progress.

xkon
04-27-2011, 16:39
Here is a little look into NJ laws regarding whats no allowed for those who may not know

"Assault firearms" means:
1. Any of the following firearms:
Algimec AGM1 type
Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder such as the "Street Sweeper" or "Striker 12"
Armalite AR-180 type
Australian Automatic Arms SAR
Avtomat Kalashnikov type semi-automatic firearms
Beretta AR-70 and BM59 semi-automatic firearms
Bushmaster Assault Rifle
Calico M-900 Assault carbine and M-900
CETME G3
Chartered Industries of Singapore SR-88 type
Colt AR-15 and CAR-15 series
Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max 1 and Max 2, AR 100 types
Demro TAC-1 carbine type
Encom MP-9 and MP-45 carbine types
FAMAS MAS223 types
FN-FAL, FN-LAR, or FN-FNC type semi-automatic firearms
Franchi SPAS 12 and LAW 12 shotguns
G3SA type
Galil type
Heckler and Koch HK91, HK93, HK94, MP5, PSG-1
Intratec TEC 9 and 22 semi-automatic firearms
M1 carbine type
M14S type
MAC 10, MAC 11, MAC 11-9 mm carbine type firearms
PJK M-68 carbine type
Plainfield Machine Company Carbine
Ruger K-Mini-14/5 F and Mini-14/5 RF
SIG AMT, SIG 550SP, SIG 551SP, SIG PE-57 types
SKS with detachable magazine type
Spectre Auto carbine type
Springfield Armory BM59 and SAR-48 type
Sterling MK-6, MK-7 and SAR types
Steyr A.U.G. semi-automatic firearms
USAS 12 semi-automatic type shotgun
Uzi type semi-automatic firearms
Valmet M62, M71S, M76, or M78 type semi-automatic firearms
Weaver Arm Nighthawk

2. Any firearm manufactured under any designation, which is substantially identical to any of the firearms listed in paragraph 1 above. As used in this definition, the term "substantial" means pertaining to the substance, matter, material or essence of a thing and the term "identical" means exactly the same. Hence, a firearm is substantially identical to another only if it is identical in all material, essential respects. A firearm is not substantially identical to a listed assault firearm unless it is identical except for differences that do not alter the essential nature of the firearm.

The following are examples of manufacturer changes that do not alter the essential nature of the firearm: the name or designation of the firearm; the color of the firearm; the material used to make the barrel or stock of the firearm; the material used to make a pistol grip; and a modification of a
pistol grip. This is not an exclusive list. A semi-automatic firearm should be considered to be "substantially identical," that is, identical in all material respects, to a named assault weapon if it meets the below listed criteria:
i. A semi-automatic rifle that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:
(1) A folding or telescoping stock;
(2) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(3) A bayonet mount;
(4) A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash
suppressor; and
(5) A grenade launcher;

m2hmghb
04-27-2011, 16:50
Best bet would be to buy an assembled rifle, it's a lot easier. If you do decide to do a kit Del-Ton makes post ban configurations, but they are NOT chrome lined barrels. You cannot have a threaded barrel in this state, it has to be a clean muzzle or a muzzle break permanently attached. To be honest I won't touch a muzzle break because of how unclear the law regarding it is.

I would go for a 5.56mm chamber since that's the cheapest and at 300 yards you don't need more.

xkon
04-27-2011, 17:00
I know that an assembled one would probably be easier but from what I read, putting the lowers together dont look too bad. And if it saves money I'm all for it. What is the difference between chrome and non-chrome lined barrels?

m2hmghb
04-27-2011, 18:51
I know that an assembled one would probably be easier but from what I read, putting the lowers together dont look too bad. And if it saves money I'm all for it. What is the difference between chrome and non-chrome lined barrels?

Ease of cleaning, longevity. They're generally less accurate, but they take more of a beating then a standard barrel and they hold up to rapid fire better.

There are 15 round mags for the .223 ARs, some are blocked others have pins put in and so on and a couple are cut down 20 rounders. You can also use 10 round mags.

xkon
04-29-2011, 11:18
So i decided on the 556/223 and a DPMS lower which is on its way. I am looking to put in a Daniels Defense lower parts kit for about $75 bucks. Ive read some good things about daniels defense so I feel like that is a decent way to go. Opinions on them would be appreciated. Now to my other question/concern, the buttstock. A fixed stock is essential, and I am looking at http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=760499?cm_cat=Cart&cm_pla=ProductImg . Its an ACE/ARFX? fixed stock. My question is, what else would be needed with this stock to attach it to my lower? Is a buffer tube and spring required and anything else? Also would i need one of the stock wrenchs? Thanks

Edit:
Okay so I think I will need an extension tube, buffer, and spring as stated on the bottom of the link lol.

Im thinking of this spring:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=191371?cm_cat=Cart&cm_pla=ProductDesc

Still looking for an extension tube, and also what is the difference between a rifle and carbine buffer? I see the rifle is longer, but will they both work with any upper?

M&P15T
04-29-2011, 11:33
Here is a little look into NJ laws regarding whats no allowed for those who may not know

"Assault firearms" means:
1. Any of the following firearms:

Bushmaster Assault Rifle
Colt AR-15 and CAR-15 series

2. Any firearm manufactured under any designation, which is substantially identical to any of the firearms listed in paragraph 1 above.

Wow, that's rough. Can you even own an AR type rifle? The above makes me think you can't.

xkon
04-29-2011, 11:37
Ya, basically if you have a pistol grip and detachable mag, you need a fixed stock, no bayonet mount, and cant have a threaded barrel/flash hider. Muzzle breaks are okay tho. So if you call that an AR, then yes lol

M&P15T
04-29-2011, 11:41
Move.

bullittmcqueen
04-29-2011, 13:16
If you are dead set on that ACE stock, save yourself some trouble and get the buffer assembly as a kit.....BTW i searched high and low for this w/o the standard A2 stock, there arent many around.... (i dont know anything about this website, how reputable they are, etc.)

http://jsgunparts.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=610

and of course if you are happy getting a standard A2 stock, there are tons of complete kits available from reputable sites....

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=646227

you need a rifle length extension, buffer, and spring. carbine buffers/springs are a no-no in a rifle length A2 stock.

m2hmghb
04-30-2011, 09:13
Basically the similarly identical comes into play when the ban features are there. You can own AR "style" rifles but not rifles designated AR-15, so the XM 15 from bushmaster is fine as is the A-15 from DPMS. You might want to check Del-Ton, last I saw the ACE stocks they sell have the buffer tube and spring in the price.
Correction, it's an option for some, standard for the skeleton stock. http://www.del-ton.com/ACE_Buttstock_p/bs1029.htm

By the way M&P how would you feel if every time you asked a question someone replies "you need to move, get the hell out of that state" or something similar to it. It's really annoying and to be honest it got old 5 years ago.

M&P15T
05-01-2011, 03:02
By the way M&P how would you feel if every time you asked a question someone replies "you need to move, get the hell out of that state" or something similar to it. It's really annoying and to be honest it got old 5 years ago.

Feel aint got nothin' to do with it. And, I wouldn't let yourself be upset by others offering you good advice.