Best way to learn the AR platform? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Best way to learn the AR platform?

Teecher45
04-27-2011, 18:41
Okay guys, I've owned my AR (Colt LE6920) for about a year now. I've actually shot it very little, but I keep it cleaned and lubed. I work for the department of corrections and am an armorer, but we use 870's and Mini 14's. I just don't know the AR platform as well as I want to. What is the best, most cost effective, way to learn it? Like I said I work for the state, and have 3 boys, money is always a concern. Running off to a class is out of the question, at least at this point. I want to learn this weapon and be a fan for life, that includes being able to replace parts if need be. Any suggestions?

faawrenchbndr
04-27-2011, 18:54
So, joining the Marine Corps is not an option? :dunno:

djegators
04-27-2011, 18:55
Buy an inexpensive stripped lower, and a lower parts kit. Building a lower would be a nice way to start. Other than that, I would put as many rounds down range as I could afford.

bullittmcqueen
04-27-2011, 18:58
The links here are good places to start......

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7355

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7009

surf
04-27-2011, 19:38
For shooting the weapon, nothing beats first hand instruction from a quality instructor.

For how the weapon works a quality course is very good but much can be learned from reading and getting some hands on work. You don't need to do a complete build or anything but you can strip a weapon and reassemble if you really want to learn. There is good info on print and on video on how to DIY it.

Nothing wrong with reading and learning. There is a lot of info available and much has been posted in the above links. Just avoid being an internet shooter. There are tons of people who read and become experts and attempt to pass on or basically regurgitate info that they read on the www. and try to pass it off as their own knowledge or pass it off as fact, when in reality they are often passing on less than factual stuff, or have no real basis for understanding the materials. Many of these types never fire a round or fire very few rounds.

If you want to check the link in my signature you can find out a lot of information on how this weapon works and how to build one from the ground up. You might also find some good shooting tips or shooting drills to help you practice or hone some skills.

Jack Black
04-27-2011, 21:45
I'll second surf's YouTube vids. I was just referencing one today while doing some work on my AR.

JBnTX
04-27-2011, 21:54
Just shoot the thing!:50cal:

micdude
04-27-2011, 22:14
Just shoot the thing!:50cal:

+2 make it go BANG! :2gun:

BlackPaladin
04-27-2011, 22:37
Since your last sentance references that you would like to know how to service the AR, I will second the idea of building a rifle from a parts kit. You will know where each spring and pin are supposed to go and exactly how to replace.

Reb 56
04-28-2011, 00:24
The links here are good places to start......

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7355

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7009

Thanks I learned a few things such as what a properly staked gas key and castle nut should look like.

MrMurphy
04-28-2011, 00:25
Green Eyes, Black Rifles for the basics.

M4/M16 handbook by Mike Pannone. Both these are written by ex special ops guys with a ton of time on them.

Magpul series of videos helps on basic manipulations.

For maintenance, other than basic field strip, ask some one else.

fuzzy03cls
04-28-2011, 08:26
Running off to a class is out of the questionYou need trigger time. Search out classes in your area. You can get a list of NRA instructors from the NRA website. You can take a basic 1 day(sometime only 6 hours)class for under $300.
The advanced 2-3 day classes are not needed if your just interested basic stuff. They are great thing to take , but not mandatory.

Magpul's videos are cool to watch. You can youtube most of them.
If your internet savoy you can also find any full length DVD shooting videos free of charge.

RocPO
04-28-2011, 11:50
Green Eyes, Black Rifles for the basics.

M4/M16 handbook by Mike Pannone. Both these are written by ex special ops guys with a ton of time on them.

Magpul series of videos helps on basic manipulations.

For maintenance, other than basic field strip, ask some one else.

http://www.vikingtactics.com/book.html#handbook

$50 for both. I ordered both and they're exceptionally informative.

ssfeldjager
04-28-2011, 14:47
Buy an inexpensive stripped lower, and a lower parts kit. Building a lower would be a nice way to start. Other than that, I would put as many rounds down range as I could afford.

:goodpost: As the man said.

Buying a low-cost, yet functional lower and a parts kit and learning how to put it all together. An upper is somewhat simpler than a lower, but the lower assembly isn't rocket science, either.

Once you see how easy it is to put together a lower parts kits into a lower receiver, not only will you understand how the AR mechanism works, but you'll have something that you know will work right.

Of course, putting rounds 'down range' is also very fun, but that alone won't allow you to learn HOW the AR is put together. How it WORKS; yes.

Regardless, have fun! :supergrin:

Teecher45
04-28-2011, 20:17
Thanks for all of your help guys, I'm going to try all of the above.

ancient_serpent
04-28-2011, 20:37
Just throwing another vote in for Green Eyes and Black Rifles. That'll get you started, follow it up with some practice and instruction from a qualified person.

PlasticGuy
04-28-2011, 21:37
What part of the country are you in? There might be some excellent and cost effective training opportunities we can suggest in your area.

GunHo198
04-28-2011, 21:42
Go hunting, carry it 24/7, shoot it, clean it, sleep with it, repeat. To know your weapon, you must be intimate with it, and make it a part of you. I know every bumb, nick and scratch of my rifle. Better than I know my wife.

Life is Grand...

PlasticGuy
04-28-2011, 21:51
Go hunting, carry it 24/7, shoot it, clean it, sleep with it, repeat. To know your weapon, you must be intimate with it, and make it a part of you. I know every bumb, nick and scratch of my rifle. Better than I know my wife.

Life is Grand...
I think this is terrible adviced. Who's to say that what you're practicing is good technique? Get training first, and then get repetitions.

ronin.45
04-28-2011, 22:34
Shooting it is the best way to learn it. Don't worry about paying somebody to show you how it works. It's a pretty simple platform. I suggest finding a local 3-gun club to put it through it's paces. Running it through long field courses will be much more educational than punching paper.

MrMurphy
04-29-2011, 00:06
Just shooting it can teach you quite a few bad habits. I've been on the AR platform for nearly sixteen years and carried one on duty for 3. I learned quite a few bad habits "just shooting" that i corrected later.

A6Gator
04-29-2011, 09:24
Shooting it is the best way to learn it. Don't worry about paying somebody to show you how it works. It's a pretty simple platform. I suggest finding a local 3-gun club to put it through it's paces. Running it through long field courses will be much more educational than punching paper.

Competing in multi-gun will definitely make you more familiar w/your 6920. If going to a carbine class is a non-starter (for whatever reason), see if you have a local club that does 3 gun. Besides, it's a good excuse to get some sort of tactical shotgun too! :supergrin:

PlasticGuy
04-29-2011, 10:48
Just shooting it can teach you quite a few bad habits. I've been on the AR platform for nearly sixteen years and carried one on duty for 3. I learned quite a few bad habits "just shooting" that i corrected later.
Exactly. Training first. Reps second. Reversing that order can solidify a lot of bad habits.

bdh_1
04-30-2011, 08:46
For servicing, download TM 9-1005-319-23&P. For operation and maintenance, download TM 9-1005-319-10.

ArmaGlock
04-30-2011, 08:54
I'll address becoming proficient with shooting the platform. While books and DVDs can be useful tools to learn, it's also a good way to develop bad habits. Just going and shooting can do the same. Going to a class would be the best way. That way you have someone with knowledge watching you and fixing you.

But since you said that's out of the question, my other suggestion would be video taping yourself. This has been suggested to me by two very reputable instructors. It will allow you to see what you are doing wrong and allow you to improve upon it the next time you shoot.

It all depends on how serious you are about it.