Casting equipment questions. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Casting equipment questions.

atakawow
04-27-2011, 21:19
I'm getting into casting and about to order the equipments. I do have some questions before taking the plunge:

1) Furnace - Lee 20lb pot with bottom pour. Question is, 110v or 220v?

2) Molds - Lee 2-cavity. Question is, on the Midway web site, some Lee molds are listed as tumble lube and some aren't. I want to tumble lube, but I like the non-listed tumble lube designs better. Can I tumble lube the non-listed as tumble lube bullets?

3) Lube and sizing - Lee Alox lube. Question is, is it necessary to size the casted bullets? From the reviews I read regarding the Lee molds, it seems like the bullets are true to size and sizing isn't needed.

4) Flux - What do I use to flux?

5) Lead - Assuming I will be using tire weights from many different sources. How do I determine the hardness of the final product?

6) How the do you convince your significant other to let you cause a huge mess on her (mine :whistling:) yard?

GioaJack
04-27-2011, 21:30
I'm getting into casting and about to order the equipments. I do have some questions before taking the plunge:

1) Furnace - Lee 20lb pot with bottom pour. Question is, 110v or 220v?
Get 110v, normal U.S. outlet.

2) Molds - Lee 2-cavity. Question is, on the Midway web site, some Lee molds are listed as tumble lube and some aren't. I want to tumble lube, but I like the non-listed tumble lube designs better. Can I tumble lube the non-listed as tumble lube bullets?
You can tumble either design.

3) Lube and sizing - Lee Alox lube. Question is, is it necessary to size the casted bullets? From the reviews I read regarding the Lee molds, it seems like the bullets are true to size and sizing isn't needed.
Depends on what size the mould drops the bullets. Varience in size can be caused by imperfect mould and by the alloy used to a lesser extent. I most cases you'll be fine if you order the correct size mould for your bore.

4) Flux - What do I use to flux?
You can use a variety of things; crayons, old pieces of bullet lube, sawdust, kitty litter, the list goes on and on. I use home canning wax, 'Gulf wax' available at Wally World.

5) Lead - Assuming I will be using tire weights from many different sources. How do I determine the hardness of the final product?
You don't have to. If you cast with straight WW's they will have a Brinell hardness of around 11 or 12, more than adequate for reasonable handgun loading.

6) How the do you convince your significant other to let you cause a huge mess on her (mine :whistling:) yard?
I'm not the one to ask... I have 3 ex-wives.

Jack

Samsondog04
04-27-2011, 21:34
110 Volt AC in the USA at 60 Hertz. The 220 Volt AC is for Europe at 50 Hertz and in some cases maybe 60 Hertz.

EOD3
04-27-2011, 21:54
Jack covered the basics for you. This site has a BUNCH of hard-core (no pun intended) casters: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/ You'll find a lot of useful information in the "stickies".

Colorado4Wheel
04-28-2011, 06:50
I have a 220V and a 110V of both pots. The 220V works a little better on heating up from cold. Not sure if it's because it's newer or because of it having a slightly different design.

For the record, your house has 220 in it already. It's not worth doing it for that little heater.

noylj
04-28-2011, 22:00
I ordered 110V since I don't have 220V outlet available. If you have 220V outlet, then that would be good to use.
I like steel dies OR 6 cavity Lee dies.
I gave up sizing back about 1985 or so. I started using a sizing die that was the same or 0.001" larger than as-cast bullet diameter. Then I started pan lubing.Then I started tumble lubing.
I recommend any one casting to:
1) slug their barrel to determine groove diameter
2) ensure their as-cast bullet is at least 0.001" larger than the groove diameter.
3) Tumble lube with LLA or Xlox to start with. Do not use so much lube that the bullets are a golden-brown. I pour about 500 at a time into a casserole pan, squirt a little LLA, and shuffle the bullets around (like shuffling dominoes) until all the bullets hae a wet/glossy look. Pour them onto wax paper and let dry. Don't worry if the are still tacky after 24 hours--store bullets in a cardboard box, load them and put the loaded rounds in an ammo box, go to the range and shoot them.
4) From here, you can determine what changes/improvements to your casting/lubing you want to make.