Crimson Traced Glocks [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Crimson Traced Glocks

MartinRiggs1987
04-28-2011, 00:44
Is a Crimson Trace worth it on a Glock? Never had one... I can shoot fine by myself... Thank You. Are they worth it, or a waste of cash? Do they enhance carrying a Glock for carry, home defense, etc...

DannyR
04-28-2011, 01:13
Order the free DVD demo (if still available) from Crimson Trace and then decide for yourself.

gen4g23
04-28-2011, 05:25
in my opinion its not, some might not agree. but i bought a NIB gen4 g22 and a crimson trace grip laser and luckly I am friends with the guy that runs the gun store I bought it from and he let me return the laser 3 days later. It just didnt do much for me. I was more accurate without it and I do alot of plinking and you cant really see it unless it is darker outside. but I guess it is just a matter of why you want it. but that is just my 2 cents worth hopefully it helps

eracer
04-28-2011, 05:35
Standard sights with a flashlight is probably the best tactical night fighting combination. Night sights by themselves are really only marginally effective.

I have a CT laser on my Gen 1 G17 and I believe that it's useful, if for no other reason than the intimidation factor. There's something about being painted with a laser while hearing "Stop!" that makes a bad guy think twice about continuing an attack.

The downside is the laser adds enough thickness to the grip that the already long reach to the trigger is just a bit longer.

Sammael
04-28-2011, 05:39
Any advantage, no matter how small - is worth having.

pipedreams
04-28-2011, 05:56
I can't add a lot to what has already been said except under stress you can just point without sight alignment. In my case my hands shake sometimes and I felt it would be an advantage for me. For target practice I can shoot with the factory sights just as well as with the laser. As already mentioned the laser painted on someone has a big intimidation factor.

MartinRiggs1987
04-28-2011, 10:51
As already mentioned the laser painted on someone has a big intimidation factor.That seems to be the advantage. For the extra expense, I prefer buying more ammo, than a laser. Trigger time and confidence under pressure... not a light show.

barstoolguru
04-28-2011, 11:25
I have one on my Ruger lcp and I love it. Shooting in low light conditions or in positions that are hard to get a sight pic they are great. The price is a little strong at $200+ for a system. There are two types one that fitís the grip and you can use your own grip and the other kind that clamps on to the trigger guard which you will have to modify your holster. Or you can go the road I went and go on e-bay and get one that clamps on the weaver rail if you gun has one for $22.00 shipping included. I have one on my 23 and it works great, you just have to activate it with a switch. I just got two more in for my friends for there gun. The 22.00 ones come with three batteries instead of two like crimson trace and last longer

reloader
04-28-2011, 12:21
Yes. Have one on my 17 in case i am down and can't see the sites...amputee.

cowboy1964
04-28-2011, 13:40
Watch the video. The laser is for situations where you can't get sights on target.... which can happen quite easily if you think about it.

Try shooting a target at 3-4 yards from the hip, with and without a laser, and then tell us that lasers are a waste!

pipedreams
04-28-2011, 14:52
In ideal shooting conditions no advantage but if you are knocked down or find your strong hand injured you will appreciate the laser. Try a combat shooting course where you are required to shoot with your weak hand with the other hand behind your back. I agree the video provides a lot of info.

firemedic1343
04-28-2011, 14:56
If the money is not an issue, it's a nice toy. But those things are redonkulously expensive.

bikerdog
04-28-2011, 15:30
Got em on my 442 and like them but I'm not sure if they are worth all the $ on the glock with a pocket gun it might be a little different though

got2hav1
04-28-2011, 18:16
I have em on g17,g19 and 642 Smith. I love em. Also now til the end of June 50 dollar rebate from CT. That might help make the decision!

Sammael
04-28-2011, 19:03
'Intimidation' is NOT the 'only use' of the laser sight. in fact, it's not one of the uses at all. You don't EVER pull your weapon for 'intimidation'. This sounds like the same argument used for racking a shotgun shell into a pump action shotgun. :upeyes:

There is nothing that a red dot on someone's chest will do that looking down the barrel of an armed defender's firearm will not.

That being said - Laser sights are indeed useful for a few things: Split second target aqcuisition in low light, target acquisition when not using the sights (from behind cover without exposing your head), and shooting from the hip if necessary (and in a defensive situation, I can definitely see that coming into play).

I would not consider a CT laser a 'toy'. One of the lasers from Wal-Mart that people buy for their cat - that is a toy. CT lasers offer a good product at a good price, suitable for use to defend your life. Doesn't sound like a toy to me. Do I use them? Sometimes, and sometimes not. But if it's between paying a few extra bucks for something that might someday give me even the slightest edge in a defensive situation - you can bet your bottom dollar that I will take every advantage I can get.

Skipper Bob
04-28-2011, 19:51
One of these days you will need to shoot from a stance that does not allow you to use the sights. From the hip hight or chest high, around cover snap shot, that is when a laser becomes a real tool you can use to your benefit!

FiremanJim
04-29-2011, 05:56
Got one on my LCP and love it,been thinking of the laser guard for my G26

jadickson
04-29-2011, 06:16
I am getting one. I'm getting one because I'm not a soldier, trained to fire my weapon accurately when I am in a real situation.

We can all sit here at our keyboards and boast about what we would do, how we would react, how we would still have the presence of mind to aim properly because of all the range time we've had. But the reality is, none of us really knows that, except you who have really been there.

The closest I've been was a neighbor's German Sheppard turning on me. Fortunately it was on a leash, so I still have both my arms and my face. But I think back to that moment, how I reacted / failed to react to it, how little time I would have to actually draw and aim my Glock 19.

It comes down to this: at the range, I aim by looking at the front sight on my pistol. When that German Sheppard went into attack mode, my eyes only saw one thing in the entire universe and it wasn't my front sight. The advantage of the laser sight, in my opinion, is that you can look at your target in that moment of panic, not your front sights, which is what most of us will instinctively do. Yes, with enough military training this would not be an issue. But I'm a music teacher, not a soldier. The Crimson Trace system makes sense to me, for me. Your mileage may vary.

DaBurna
04-29-2011, 06:27
Just got another one brand new for my Baby Glocks (March 2011 Production Sticker) and I got it off eBay from a distributor...wait and shop for good deals to save u some $$! I just paid $165 for a Crimsontrace LG-626, and CT is running a special that give a $50 rebate on lasers ordered from April-June. My net savings were about $115 off of MSRP!

RayB
04-29-2011, 14:09
If memory serves, the DVD demo Danny's referring to is called Shots In The Dark, and it's excellent! :thumbsup:

The intimidation factor provided by a laser designator is well documented by both cops and the military, regardless of any personal theories on the matter. Still, even that's no guaranty that some nut-job won't insist on getting shot! :faint:

I sometimes read comments stating that lasers don't replace basic marksmanship... But of course they do! That's rather the point, isn't it? :dunno:

A laser designator ostensibly projects your gun's front sight directly onto your target, meaning you don't have to sight down the barrel to hold zero on a perpetrator. You are free to scan the room, and use your free hand to call 911, turn on the lights, open a door, and if you're really cool under fire, finish your sandwich! :cool:

Should a laser replace basic marksmanship skills? Ideally, no; of course not. I think if it's possible, everybody should undergo the basic training to fall back on. But in some situations, and for certain shooters, a quality laser designator will put them on target when the SHTF and they canít find their cool! And even then there's usually no guaranty as to how a given situation will play outÖ Like the man said, it ain't over till it's over! :whistling:

Proper use of lasers and weapon lights does require training and practice. These accessories have long departed the realm of the theoretical--they are proven assets on many weapons platforms. But a shooter needs to give these tools lots of attention and forethought before ever actually needing and using them. And even then, Iíd pray you never need any of this stuff! :shocked:

--Ray

P.S. Itís good to see a Crimson Trace ad on GT!

Wishoot
04-30-2011, 14:57
I have a CT on my G22.

Every time I wake up in the middle of the night to get a drink of water or use the bathroom, I think to myself, in my current drowsy state, with my lousy eye sight, "Would I be able to focus and engage a target"?

The answer is NO.

A flashlight in one hand and the G22/CT combo in the other certainly helps me identify and get on target much quicker IMHO. Especially in the middle of the night.

RayB
04-30-2011, 19:35
I have a CT on my G22.

Every time I wake up in the middle of the night to get a drink of water or use the bathroom, I think to myself, in my current drowsy state, with my lousy eye sight, "Would I be able to focus and engage a target"?

The answer is NO.

A flashlight in one hand and the G22/CT combo in the other certainly helps me identify and get on target much quicker IMHO. Especially in the middle of the night.

:agree: Exactly!

In my case, if it ain 't the wife or the dog, it don't belong here--and I could care less about the safety pointing my gun's muzzle at it! :dunno:

Give me a weapon light! :thumbsup:

--Ray

MartinRiggs1987
05-01-2011, 01:28
The Crimson Trace system makes sense to me, for me. Your mileage may vary.Yes... yes it does.

swinokur
05-01-2011, 07:09
Have one on my G30 along with a Surefire X300 weapon light.. CT does not make one for my G29SF (yet?). I bought an Insight M6X LED light laser combo for that. Most of the reasons for having it have been given.

My opinion is it may not help, but it will probably NEVER hurt.

FiremanJim
05-14-2011, 20:32
Just picked up A LG436 for my G19,took it to a dark indoor range and man I am in awe at how fast and accurate you can fire 10 rounds into a 7-15 yd target with both eyes open just aiming the laser and squeeing the trigger.

packinaglock
05-27-2011, 16:36
At 49 my eyes are not what they used to be and I've been thinking of trying the CT's. If I focus on the target the sites are blurry, If I wear readers the sites are clear but the target is blurry. :upeyes:

Kansas Slim
05-29-2011, 16:57
Any advantage, no matter how small - is worth having.

Amen. That's exactly why I have one on my LCP, and will soon be putting one on my new G23 once I get it.

barstoolguru
05-29-2011, 17:06
if I remember right, this is the second time you asked this question

Sammael
05-29-2011, 17:18
if I remember right, this is the second time you asked this question

If I remember right, no one forced you to click on it.

bandmasterjf
05-29-2011, 17:46
Is a Crimson Trace worth it on a Glock? Never had one... I can shoot fine by myself... Thank You. Are they worth it, or a waste of cash? Do they enhance carrying a Glock for carry, home defense, etc...

For a guy who doesn't have a place to shoot a lot it's a great way to practice dryfireing. I had mine for nearly a month before I had any range time and I was shocked how accurate I was with it.

barstoolguru
05-29-2011, 18:14
If I remember right, no one forced you to click on it.

Words of WitÖÖIF I were 10 feet tall, IF my aunt had stones she would be my uncle If if if if if if if .......... sorry I clicked on it again

FiremanJim
06-01-2011, 19:25
I went to range again today,at 7-10 and 15 yards it is dead on
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v477/jims4x4/gun%20stuff/3da2bbe1.jpg

mikegun
06-14-2011, 19:38
Got em on my 442 and like them but I'm not sure if they are worth all the $ on the glock with a pocket gun it might be a little different though

dont need them on my Glocks or my kel tec pf9, as they are very accurate guns, but on my smith snubby, they are a godsend and i could not do without them...

KevinM56
06-21-2011, 10:18
Put me in the pro-laser sight camp for defensive guns. Even if my vision were 20-20 (which it ain't) and even if my eyes weren't 50+ years old (which they is), in a defensive shooting situation I may not have the luxury of being able to look through the iron/night sights at a white target on a sunny day.

FiremanJim
06-21-2011, 13:12
My reasoning i with the CT laser was when I am in defensive mode I ,myself,prob will be eyes open searching or taking in whats going on around me or in my home,Squinting with one eye closed seems like 2 demensional blinders and the laser allows me to point and know what I am aiming at better than squinting and aiming,I may not have time to squint,aim and fire.....but thats just me and my level

ashtxsniper
06-21-2011, 13:44
I have a lasermax grip laser on my G22 and I like it.

RayB
06-23-2011, 15:10
I have a lasermax grip laser on my G22 and I like it.

You're referring to the LaserMax Sabre...

I tried one of these on my G17, and my hands are too large to operate it without a lot of adjustment to my grip. But it is a slick little gizmo! ;)

I gave mine to a friend for his 1st Gen G17 (he bought one of the first Glocks sold in Wisconsin!) and he likes it a lot! :thumbsup:

I really liked the feel of the Whale Tail on my G17 at the range, and I'd encourage LaserMax--or somebody--to offer a sans laser variation, as I'd buy one immediately! :supergrin:

Like Crimson Trace, LaserMax as a company, is a class act! :cool:

--Ray