carbon build up in comp/flash hidder [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : carbon build up in comp/flash hidder

nickod
04-28-2011, 10:50
there is alot of build up in my battlecomp, i can get most of it out but some small clumps always stay on the side. i tried taking it off to get to the mess but every time i put enough force to maybe unscrew it, i see the barrel flex a little and it freaks me out so i stop. anyway, my question is........is okay to leave the little bit of build up that just wont come out? will it effect accuracy? anything else? thank you.

micdude
04-28-2011, 10:59
there is alot of build up in my battlecomp, i can get most of it out but some small clumps always stay on the side. i tried taking it off to get to the mess but every time i put enough force to maybe unscrew it, i see the barrel flex a little and it freaks me out so i stop. anyway, my question is........is okay to leave the little bit of build up that just wont come out? will it effect accuracy? anything else? thank you.

OCD?:supergrin:

faawrenchbndr
04-28-2011, 11:21
Pick up a can of Sea Foam.
Place this in a container, submerge the BC in the Sea Foam over night.
Wipe residual off, rinse with isopropyl alcohol, then apply your favorite oil.

BBJones
04-28-2011, 11:59
Do not unscrew it to clean it. You would then need to get a new crush washer and re-install it and get it timed correctly. Way to much work to clean it.

I wouldn't worry about it myself.

JASV.17
04-28-2011, 11:59
I think I read somewhere that mineral spirits were good to remove carbon as well.

nickod
04-28-2011, 13:27
over night soak. got it. will breakfree or hopps no.9 be okay for this? OCD?.......yup.

Greyhoundman
04-28-2011, 13:59
Is the comp raw carbon steel? if not, why oil it, and won't the oil just attract more crap to the comp?

nickod
04-28-2011, 14:06
im not sure. my only concern is solvents like breakfree and hopps no.9 eating the finish on the barrel/comp if i soak it over night. i saw a picture a while back of a guy who soaked a p22 slide in hopps no.9 over night ( not sure why) and in the mourning the finish was non existent. the pic looked like it was a dull stainless. aparently it was black the night before. i dont want that happening to my battlecomp/barrel. any reason it would? or was the guy previously mentioned not telling me something?

faawrenchbndr
04-28-2011, 14:52
over night soak. got it. will breakfree or hopps no.9 be okay for this? OCD?.......yup.

Those should work fine as well, the Sea Foam actually dissolves carbon a bit better.

nickod
04-28-2011, 16:11
okay, i got it sitting upside down in an asprin bottle full of a breakfree and no.9 solution. hope all goes well and after a few hours the black crud will rub right off with a q-tip.

B.Reid
04-28-2011, 17:28
:wow:

nickod
04-28-2011, 19:36
okay took it out of the cleaning solvents and poked around for a while. most of the build up is gone except a few stubborn pieces. i think the finish does indeed look a little brown. maybe solvents will eat away a black finish, or at least turn it brown.

TKM
04-28-2011, 19:56
What does Battlecomp recommend?

NeverMore1701
04-28-2011, 20:50
Dental pick?

Markasaurus
04-28-2011, 20:52
a variant of ed's red: acetone, odorless mineral spirits and some c.l.p. Sometimes some kroil also. The clp keeps the metal finish from being bone dry after you dry it off.
Bamboo skewers make the best carbon picks, this is your muzzle remember. You don't want to mess up the crown so stay away from it with any tools.

nickod
04-29-2011, 06:31
Yeah I only picked around in there with tools made of plastic or wood because I didn't want to hurt the crown.

Gunnut 45/454
04-29-2011, 09:33
In 24 years of service I don't ever remember cleaning the flashhider as part of the cleaning requirement!:rofl:

nickod
04-29-2011, 11:34
the battlecomp isn't exactly a flash hider. there is more room around the barrel and crown for build up to grow.

Halojumper
04-29-2011, 11:54
Do not unscrew it to clean it. You would then need to get a new crush washer and re-install it and get it timed correctly. Way to much work to clean it.

I wouldn't worry about it myself.

While I realize that is the party line and maybe not a good idea, we used to do it all the time. Of course we never put a new crush washer because then we'd have to admit to the armorer that we had taken it off. We didn't like the look and sound of the regular blank adapters and found that if we took a fired blank round and cut it down to just the case head and knocked out the primer, that we could put it under the flash suppressor and it worked fine and didn't sound as sissified as the regular one. I never saw a flash suppressor come off or have any issues after having done this.

humanguerrilla
04-29-2011, 13:11
More closed flashhider designs are a pain. Buildup can increase flash and noise. Battlecomp recommends cleaning them "after every firing session". "A short soak and scrub with a nylon brush should be sufficient (please donít use Acetone with a plastic brush)" and "We are told ultrasonic cleaners work very well".