Bobbing the hammer. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Bobbing the hammer.

KingWalleye
04-28-2011, 18:12
I am considering bobbing the hammer on my Taurus Model 85.

This gun had a trigger job done years ago. I didn't do the work so I don't know exactly what was done other than the trigger being smoothed and made thinner. The pull is much smoother and has almost no creep compared to the original.

My question is, do I risk having misfires due to the lighter hammer?

Any expert advice is greatly appreciated.

04-29-2011, 06:45
A lighter hammer is not likely to cause misfires. A lighter hammer spring will lead to misfires with certain ammo. The hammer spur is a small fraction of the inertia producing mass of the hammer. You theoretically could loose a little "smacking" power but not any amount that you will notice. It is hard for me to speculate as to weather or not the increased hammer speed will add to the hammer's inertia and increase the "smack power". But, I think that it will result in more power at the firing pin and here is why: The hammer is always under spring tension. It does not move without the influence of the spring. I am sure lots of gunsmiths could add to the debate, but in the end, I don't think you have anything to worry about. Just, don't lighten your hammer spring. I have tried lighter hammer springs to get a lighter trigger, and it seems that only the factory weight springs will get the job done 100% of the time. Unless, you want to be limited to Federal Primers in your bullets.

KingWalleye
04-29-2011, 09:26
1006Thank you.

PEC-Memphis
04-29-2011, 17:12
Is a spurless hammer available from the manufacturer?

Rather than modify the original part on my S&W M60, I called S&W and they sold me a spurless, DA only, hammer.

KingWalleye
04-29-2011, 17:34
Is a spurless hammer available from the manufacturer?

Rather than modify the original part on my S&W M60, I called S&W and they sold me a spurless, DA only, hammer.

Good point. I'll contact Taurus on monday.

Bushflyr
04-30-2011, 22:14
I am considering bobbing the hammer on my Taurus Model 85.

Do it.

My question is, do I risk having misfires due to the lighter hammer?

ABSOLUTELY NOT! This is a common misconception perpetrated by people who don't have a clue what they're talking about. Primer ignition is a function of energy, NOT momentum. The energy is a function of the square of the speed whereas momentum is a direct function. So, anything you can do to increase the speed of the hammer, primarily lightening it, will increase ignition reliability.

This is why JP uses light weight hammers with their lightened springs. This is why all the light trigger jobs on revolvers use skeletonized hammers.

Here's a pic of my home tuned 625. The DA pull is 5lbs and I could have gone lighter but I didn't want to lose the tail of the hammer. It's tuned 100% reliable with Fed primers. If I want to use Magtechs I have to bump the trigger pull by about a half pound. I made a custom strain screw so I can adjust the pull on the fly if I need to switch loads during a match.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b65/bushflyr/625FullWeb.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b65/bushflyr/625HammerDrilled.jpg

Jim Watson
05-01-2011, 09:42
Theory and other brands of gun to the contrary, I know a guy who actually did cut the hammer spur off his Taurus 85 and immediately started getting misfires. He fixed it by cramming in a S&W mainspring for a harder blow. You can imagine what that did to his DA trigger pull. Heavy before, tough now.