First time reloading update [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : First time reloading update

High Altitude
04-29-2011, 15:28
Hey guys, all the information has been very, very helpful. Here is a little update.

My local library had a copy of the ABCs of reloading so I checked it out and read it cover to cover. Lots of great info. I purchased the complete reloading manual for the 9mm luger. For now, just loading 9mm, I think I am good info wise considering all the additional info on the internet/powder websites/forums etc.....

For equipment I have bought a Lyman pro 2500 magnum tumbler, RCBS media separator, basic frankford arsenal bullet puller and a set of digital calipers.

I also found a Lyman Pro 500 scale for pretty cheap and bought it, but wasn't happy with it. Quality seemed very low so I returned it and am looking for something else. I will probably purchase the Dillon or RCBS 505.

Starting to clean out the garage, moving some things around the house and thinking about a reloading bench.

I still haven't decided on a press, 550b or LNL AP.

A friend told me that the latest LNL APs are shipping with a different shell plate design that takes care of the high primer situation that some are having with SP primers. I have no idea if this true, could just be gun shop "talk", but I have read of some people having problems with high primers, which does concern me some. Also, everyone keeps telling me that the Hornady powder measure is a much better design that is more accurate and easier to work with. Add in the extra station for a powder check or lock out die, auto indexing and future expansion with the case/bullet feeder if ever wanted and I am starting to think the LNL AP is the way to go. One thing that does concern me though is that it appears Hornady and its dealers are always out of stock, like they have supply problems.

BUT

I keep thinking about the history and longevity of the Dillon press line, the company itself and I know exactly what I am going to get if I purchase a 550b. No surprises or thoughts of will I have any problems. The design is much more tested and mature.

It's a tough decision to make.

GioaJack
04-29-2011, 15:45
I'm betting that this is going to end badly. Unclebob will be around shortly to start the vitriol... when he wakes up from his nap or is finished with his Metamucil kicking in.

Jack

fredj338
04-29-2011, 16:25
It really comes down to the case feeder. If you don't want one, then they are about equal. The auto indexing is way over rated, no add'l. speed advantage. the 5 stns of the LNL allow for a powder check die, useful but not full proof either. That's how I would make my decision. Full disclosure, I load on a 550B & 650 & have done a bit of loading on my friends LNL.

unclebob
04-29-2011, 16:50
I'm betting that this is going to end badly. Unclebob will be around shortly to start the vitriol... when he wakes up from his nap or is finished with his Metamucil kicking in.

Jack

Sorry Jack staying out of it.

BK63
04-29-2011, 17:35
Dillon has a no BS policy. I have an old 450 that I loaded with for years. I got it used a long time ago. When a part broke here or there I called them and they either sent me a part or told me send it in and they would fix the part. This was a used press that was very OLD. I have since bought a 550 and liked it so much more I bought the conversion kit for the 450 to make it a 550 also. I have no doubt I'll load on these another 40 years, (if I live that long) and somebody else will be using them after me.

GioaJack
04-29-2011, 18:02
Sorry Jack staying out of it.

Is it normal to become so boring when you turn a hundred? :dunno:

Jack

unclebob
04-29-2011, 18:11
Is it normal to become so boring when you turn a hundred? :dunno:

Jack

I hope I find out. 35 to go.
The OP answered his own questions.

EL_NinO619
04-29-2011, 20:00
You may have heard, but I like my LnL's and they work flawlessly. But between Dillon and Hornady you wont be unhappy (well unless you get Steved). Just matters what you feel is right for you. But I hear chicks pants fall of around red machines..id post the proff, but I dont want to get kicked. I would miss Jack toooo much..

High Altitude
04-29-2011, 21:59
But I hear chicks pants fall of around red machines..id post the proff, but I dont want to get kicked. I would miss Jack toooo much..

So this is why I see so many guys with more than one LNL AP :supergrin:

What about the primer seating issue? Is this something that is still going on and if so, did Hornady really change the design to fix it?

High Altitude
04-29-2011, 23:06
The more I look around the more I keep seeing these type of threads with the LNL AP. This one is with a very recent press. Seems like Hornady might have a design and/or manufacturing issue they haven't solved yet. It appears that Hornady doesn't have any real answers for these customers.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=588454

sellersm
04-29-2011, 23:09
That's basically the issue that Colorado4Wheel had. And others have had.

Personally, I'd consider the LNL AP the same as a 1.0 product from Microsoft -- wait until at least the 3rd version and then try it! :whistling:

EL_NinO619
04-29-2011, 23:59
I guess we got side tracked with the chicks comment and skipped past the part where I wrote it works flawless. Check out my video..

Colorado4Wheel
04-30-2011, 07:09
The more I look around the more I keep seeing these type of threads with the LNL AP. This one is with a very recent press. Seems like Hornady might have a design and/or manufacturing issue they haven't solved yet. It appears that Hornady doesn't have any real answers for these customers.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=588454

And people said it was just me being "picky".

I think Hornady has some issues. They are still redesigning sub plates to cure this issue. IF you get a LnL I would be prepared to set it up right away. Get it running in the first 30 days or return it. Then your out $70 or so for shipping. Or get a Dillon. Thats the safe choice. I used to think "it's just a press. Surely it's not that hard to get right" But apparently it is. If I worked at Hornanady I could fix all the issues I had with my press really easily. I even figured out a way to do it with out changing shell plates or loosing the spring setup (which I really like). But, they don't want to change the press yet again I am sure.

fredj338
04-30-2011, 09:43
And people said it was just me being "picky".

I think Hornady has some issues. They are still redesigning sub plates to cure this issue. IF you get a LnL I would be prepared to set it up right away. Get it running in the first 30 days or return it. Then your out $70 or so for shipping. Or get a Dillon. Thats the safe choice. I used to think "it's just a press. Surely it's not that hard to get right" But apparently it is. If I worked at Hornanady I could fix all the issues I had with my press really easily. I even figured out a way to do it with out changing shell plates or loosing the spring setup (which I really like). But, they don't want to change the press yet again I am sure.
MY buddy the machinist has done exactly that. He has FrankenHornady now. He has added & tweeked it so it's barely recognizeable, but has it working the way he wants it to. He's amazed that my 650 just runs w/o issue. In all fareness, he would probably tweek the 650 too.:dunno:

labdwakin
04-30-2011, 12:05
I guess we got side tracked with the chicks comment and skipped past the part where I wrote it works flawless. Check out my video..

Justin, I'm not picking on you man. But your video is of you loading 45 ACP which uses Large Pistol primers. The OP said he's going to be starting with 9mm. This is what gave Steve the horrible headaches. I have a friend that loads a LOT of .40 S&W on a 2 year old LNL and doesn't have the problems Steve did. All that being said, my friend is also an experienced reloader and the OP is just starting out. The LNL is a good press and so is the Dillon. I just personally think that the 550 would be a better place for the OP to start if he's going to start with a progressive.

fredj338
04-30-2011, 12:20
The LNL is a good press and so is the Dillon. I just personally think that the 550 would be a better place for the OP to start if he's going to start with a progressive.
Stop being so Blue. The Red owners are going to start crying soon.:crying:

labdwakin
04-30-2011, 17:43
Stop being so Blue. The Red owners are going to start crying soon.:crying:

:couch:

High Altitude
05-09-2011, 21:37
Finally returned the Lyman 505 scale and picked up a RCBS 505 off of Ebay.

It was only $30 + shipping and it is practically brand new. Still need some check weights to check it for accuracy but it is MUCH higher quality than the Lyman. Zeros easy, repeatable, easier to use, and from measuring some bullets I am pretty confident accurate but will check of course.

Next up.... building my reloading bench.

fredj338
05-09-2011, 22:15

It was only $30 + shipping and it is practically brand new. Still need some check weights to check it for accuracy but it is MUCH higher quality than the Lyman. Zeros easy, repeatable, easier to use, and from measuring some bullets I am pretty confident accurate but will check of course.

Just a headsup, bullets can vary quite a bit in weight, as much as 1/2% for non match bullets. SO using them as a check wt doesn't work.:wavey:

High Altitude
05-09-2011, 23:14
Just a headsup, bullets can vary quite a bit in weight, as much as 1/2% for non match bullets. SO using them as a check wt doesn't work.:wavey:

I know, I just wanted to make sure the scale wasn't broke/completely off etc.....

I am going to get some check weights so I can see if it is really accurate.

High Altitude
05-21-2011, 00:52
I got some check weights and the scale is accurate. It is amazing to me that these little beam scales can measure within .1 grain.

I found a real nice wooden bench top that came from some type of drafting or art table. Over an inch thick and it is the exact size I need, 2ft by 4ft. I still can't believe my luck. Some 2x4s, a few hours and I should have a bench.

I also got some corn cob media so I can start cleaning/polishing cases.

I am getting close to putting in my order for the 550.

On a different note, my mother in law will be visiting/staying all next week starting Sunday.

Wish me luck.............

fredj338
05-21-2011, 00:57
On a different note, my mother in law will be visiting/staying all next week starting Sunday.

Wish me luck.............
Well, the world is supposed to end Sat. Maybe you will be spared her visit.:rofl:

Colorado4Wheel
05-21-2011, 06:49
A friend told me that the latest LNL APs are shipping with a different shell plate design that takes care of the high primer situation that some are having with SP primers. I have no idea if this true,

I know you posted this a while ago. But that is impossible. He probable meant sub-plate.

Boxerglocker
05-21-2011, 08:07
I know you posted this a while ago. But that is impossible. He probable meant sub-plate.

Could be either, I heard from another reloading forum that some LNL shellplates, particularly small rifle ones for .223 were sub standard and warping, hence the recent shortages. They recently came out with a new design. I talked to one guy who pretty much was force into just hand priming cause of the issues he was having with his press. I forwarded him to your posts C4W and he said:

Yes, Wolf SP for .40SW, and CCI for small rifle.

Talked till I was blue in the face to Hornady but couldn't get resolution to my issues. Just not enough leverage to seat these brands of primers with MY version of the LNL AP press.

I gave up and moved on. I went back to hand seating or re-seating primers and it's much less frustrating even if it is much more time consuming it's also a task I don't have to be tied to the bench to do...

Your friends expereince is nearly identical to my own. I never received a new sub plate, but mine is already the most current version.

IndyGunFreak
05-21-2011, 08:20

Man, thats a GREAT deal for $30 bucks. Are you sure its the 505? Those are usually in the 65-75 range when new. Great scale.. If you really got that LNIB for $30+ shipping... I'd buy a lottery ticket.. :)

Congrats.

IndyGunFreak
05-21-2011, 08:21
Well, the world is supposed to end Sat. Maybe you will be spared her visit.:rofl:

:rofl:

labdwakin
05-21-2011, 08:50
Man, thats a GREAT deal for $30 bucks. Are you sure its the 505? Those are usually in the 65-75 range when new. Great scale.. If you really got that LNIB for $30+ shipping... I'd buy a lottery ticket.. :)

Congrats.

I got my 10-10 LNIB for $20 :supergrin: :devildance: :wave:

IndyGunFreak
05-21-2011, 08:57
I got my 10-10 LNIB for $20 :supergrin: :devildance: :wave:

Wearing a ski mask and holding a gun, doesn't count... :)

If you got that deal, you should buy ME a lottery ticket.. :)

labdwakin
05-21-2011, 09:03

been buyin em for myself with no luck... I'll get you one this evening when I'm back in civilization... out on the farm right now.

Shadyscott69
05-21-2011, 09:33
I bought an LnL about a month ago now. The instructions really suck. That being said, I am very mechanical minded and I was loading in about 1 hour. Not very well, but I was loading 9mm. Since then I have spent a couple hours tweaking the pawls and such and the press runs pretty good. I haven't had any problems with small primers.

I ordered and case feeder and a bullet feeder last week. I am strongly suspicious that those will be difficult to get running well. I shall see.

I have used a Dillion 550 in the past but not a 650. I doubt there is much speed difference in the LnL and the 550 if you don't have a case feeder. With the CF & BF the LnL "should" be much faster.

So far I am not overwhelmed with the quality of the LnL. But, I rarely am with anything new. I am one of those people who enjoys tweaking things to my liking. I do REALLY like the powder measure system on the LnL.

High Altitude
05-21-2011, 11:00

Congrats.

It is a 505, I don't know how old it is but it was hardly used.

I have noticed that there are a lot of 505s on ebay so the prices are really good. Which is nice for a change, reloading gear usually sells on ebay for very close to new prices.

IndyGunFreak
05-21-2011, 12:12
It is a 505, I don't know how old it is but it was hardly used.

Beauty of it is, if it breaks, just call RCBS and let them know, then send it back and you'll get it back good as new.

Great find.. (and I checked Ebay.. you're right, there's a lot of them on there).

IGF

labdwakin
05-22-2011, 00:17

You owe me a dollar... your ticket didn't win EITHER... :steamed: