First lead reloading - in a nutshell what do I need to know vs plated? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : First lead reloading - in a nutshell what do I need to know vs plated?

cowboy1964
04-29-2011, 15:38
I've only reloaded .45 ACP using Berry's plated so far. I'm going to go 230gr lead RN for my next order (probably Midstate Cast). Anything in particular I need to know or watch out for? I had been using 6.4gr of Unique for the 230gr Berry's plated. Would that still work well for lead?

PS. Will be shooting these through an M&P, not a Glock.

sellersm
04-29-2011, 15:49
Loading data manuals & websites will show values for lead. Generally speaking, plated should be loaded to approx. the same (or close) levels as lead (mid-range), so you shouldn't be too far off.

I don't have specifics for the powder/bullet/caliber you're loading for, but you should be able to find data for Unique and lead bullets.

fredj338
04-29-2011, 16:22
I've only reloaded .45 ACP using Berry's plated so far. I'm going to go 230gr lead RN for my next order (probably Midstate Cast). Anything in particular I need to know or watch out for? I had been using 6.4gr of Unique for the 230gr Berry's plated. Would that still work well for lead?

PS. Will be shooting these through an M&P, not a Glock.
In reality, plated load between lead & jacketed. You'll find 6.4gr of Unique inder a 230grLRN a full power load, pushing above 875fps. Start @ 6gr & work it up if you want more. It runs about 825fps.

ColoCG
04-29-2011, 16:29
Depending on how your dies are set up, you may have to bell the case mouth slightly more so you don't shave any of the lead. You'll just have to try one and see how it works.

Also I would recommend you lower your charge as Fred suggested and work it up slowly. I load quite a bit less of Unique over a 230gr. cast, but that's my personal preference.

cole
04-29-2011, 16:50
5.3gr Unique under a 230gr LRN at 1.250" runs well and clean in my G30 w/ LWD barrel. I ran 6.2gr and it was stout, 5.9gr too, both leading badly. I think this LWD barrel seals things up tight bumping pressures.

sig357fan
04-29-2011, 17:57
The two things I always try to do when reloading lead is to chamfer the I.D. of the case mouth and try to run the lead hardness to the velocity.

Chamfering the case mouth will help prevent lead shaving of the bullet when seating and you won’t have to flare the case mouth as much if not chamfered.

For 45 ACP loads around 800 fps I try to use bullets around BHN of 10-11, soft enough to seal the bullet in the barrel yet hard enough to minimize leading.

sig357fan