I hate my Ruger MkII! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I hate my Ruger MkII!

Jack23
04-29-2011, 16:01
And that is a darn shame. It is easily the most accurate .22lr handgun I own or have ever fired. I had a reddot on it for a while but took it off because I can shoot just about at well with no scope at all and it was hard to use in the day time, which is when I shoot it.

I guess that anyone that has one of these or one of the other Ruger .22lr semi autos knows where this is going. Lets all say it together one time. Ready? Begin: I HATE, LOATH, AND DESPISE THE HAMMER STRUT ON RUGER .22LR SEMI AUTOS. I have had mine for several years and I know full well how to clean it and I can quote word for word what the book say about reassembly. But I still can't reasemle it easily every time. Sometimes I can do it the first try and sometimes it takes MANY tries before I can get it right. I do it the same way ever time but sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

I love to shoot this gun! But I'd almost rather take a beating than clean it and have to go through the agony of reassembly. I took it to the range yesterday and today I cleaned it. Todays effort took me longer than it ever has before. I'm pretty diligent about cleaning my guns after each range visit so there are many times I leave this straight shooter at home because of that dang hammer strut.

I have heard raves about the Browning and the Baretta semi auto .22lrs. I may get one or both of them and try 'em out. I sure hate to give up on my MKII though it is one straight shooter.

Thanks for listening to my rant I feel all better now. :supergrin:

HotRoderX
04-29-2011, 16:16
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fIYIWK0boo&playnext=1&list=PL5EDE25A5E7D9A6C8

Take a look at this video if you watch when he is doing the Hammer Strut he tilts the gun on its back "PULLS" the trigger and presto easy as pie.... What I do not sure if it will hurt the gun but it works perfectly.

NAS T MAG
04-29-2011, 16:35
Buy this and you'll be a happy camper.
http://www.majesticarms.com/id10.html

I was ready to sell my MKIII. Now, it's all good.

MinervaDoe
04-29-2011, 20:59
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fIYIWK0boo&playnext=1&list=PL5EDE25A5E7D9A6C8

Take a look at this video if you watch when he is doing the Hammer Strut he tilts the gun on its back "PULLS" the trigger and presto easy as pie.... What I do not sure if it will hurt the gun but it works perfectly.
It's the only gun I own where I have to hold it upside down, shake it, and pull the trigger to reassemble it, but the darn thing shoots straight.

EAA10
04-29-2011, 21:32
They are great, and the cleaning does absolutely suck...........

I guess in my opinion it is worth having such a reliable, accurate pistol.

El_Ron1
04-30-2011, 12:33
I don't understand the obsession with disassembly for cleaning. It's not required for routine cleaning and maintenance. There are many fully functioning Ruger Autos that have never been disassembled by their owners.

Jack23
04-30-2011, 12:52
I don't understand the obsession with disassembly for cleaning. It's not required for routine cleaning and maintenance. There are many fully functioning Ruger Autos that have never been disassembled by their owners.

If you ever have the chance to take one appart that has 1650 rounds through it, since it was cleaned thoroughly, do so and you'll see the reason plain enough. I had always heard the same thing so when I had the Red Dot scope on it all I did was clean the bore and the breach face and oil the bolt a little. When I took the Red Dot off I broke it down and was absolutely disgusted with what I saw. I felt lucky that the thing would still fire and be as accurate.

Perhaps it isn't necessary I don't know. I'll never find out either. I was raised to take care of my possessions. And when I was a youngster just starting out We didn't have much money for frills. Now that I'm somewhat more secure financially I have some pretty nice fishing stuff and guns etc. But I remember when I didn't and I'll always take care of my toys like they are all I'll ever have.

Every one that wants to neglect their stuff may certainly do so, and without criticism from me, but I could not close my eyes in sleep if I had a gun layin' around that was as filthy as that Ruger MKII was that time. It won't ever happen again I'll assure you.

PlasticGuy
04-30-2011, 14:43
...I love to shoot this gun! But I'd almost rather take a beating than clean it and have to go through the agony of reassembly...
I hear you! I need to get a .22 pistol with a threaded muzzle that will accept my suppressor. I'd love to get one of the new Rugers, but I hate cleaning them so much that I think I'll get another Buckmark instead. Maybe Ruger can figure it out for their Mark IV. :whistling:

44terryberry
04-30-2011, 14:48
I took mine apart once.NEVER AGAIN!

bac1023
05-05-2011, 20:37
They aren't the easiest guns to field strip, but they're great shooters.

stevemc
05-29-2011, 02:15
Hey Jack23,

The reasons you are mentioning are exactly why I bought my Browning Buckmark. There are many models to pick from. I got the camper. At around $300-350, you wont be sorry. All the .22 fun you want.
BTW, your second post was like a breath of fresh air for me. It shows a respect and appreciation for what you work hard for instead of the self entitled attitude so common. We could use more like that.

Steve.

alwaysshootin
05-29-2011, 05:11
Watch this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fIYI...DE25A5E7D9A6C8

as mentioned, then sell your MKII and buy a Buckmark "any model":upeyes:,

then look in mirror and say dumbass!:supergrin:

Keep the MKII, do not sell it for any reason, you will regret it!!!! They don't make them anymore, and it's one of the finest 22 pistols "ever" made.

sourdough44
06-04-2011, 03:51
I agree you have to hold it right & maybe wiggle it to get it together. Once you do it a few times it's no biggie. That Buckmark takes a little doing also to get it apart. The next options are the SP101 in 22, or a Single-Six.

gconan
06-14-2011, 18:52
Buy this and you'll be a happy camper.
http://www.majesticarms.com/id10.html

I was ready to sell my MKIII. Now, it's all good.

Thank you very much for the link!!!