any problems with using cast bullets in my 2nd Gen G23 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : any problems with using cast bullets in my 2nd Gen G23

champ198
04-29-2011, 22:13
just bought this thing and want to shoot as much as i can. with the price on ammo and ammo components reloading is a must and im not new to that by any means.
i have been thinking about getting the equiptment to cast my own bullets. but i had heard once that shooting a cast lead bullet out of a modern semi auto was a NO NO.
i used to do some cowboy action shooting back a few years ago and most there used cast bullets. i cast bullets at the time for the 38 specials i had at the time so i know how to do it but wanted to get your alls opinion on using them in my Glock G23...i know you have to watch for leading in the barrel but only looking for target ammo.

fredj338
04-30-2011, 09:48
just bought this thing and want to shoot as much as i can. with the price on ammo and ammo components reloading is a must and im not new to that by any means.
i have been thinking about getting the equiptment to cast my own bullets. but i had heard once that shooting a cast lead bullet out of a modern semi auto was a NO NO.i used to do some cowboy action shooting back a few years ago and most there used cast bullets. i cast bullets at the time for the 38 specials i had at the time so i know how to do it but wanted to get your alls opinion on using them in my Glock G23...i know you have to watch for leading in the barrel but only looking for target ammo.
Hmm, define modern I guess, but yes, shooting lead bullets in semiautos is safely & effectively done. The only issue w/ GLock & other polygon bbls is the tight fit of the lead bullet. It can cause pressure issus if any lead builds up inside. Many GLock shooters wil buy a conventional rifled bbl for shooting lead bullets exclusively. Develope a good load w/ minimal leading, stay off the top end loads & clean the bbl often & you can shoot lead bullet succesfully in a Glock.

whitebread
04-30-2011, 09:53
As mentioned above, an aftermarket barrel is your best bet. You physically can shoot them out of a stock barrel (I have seen it done) but it will not be accurate, there will be excessive leading, and the targets show the bullets quite possibly are tumbling.

BENCH
04-30-2011, 11:10
I am real conservative, and say don't shoot those lead bullets. Sell me that G23 for my wife, and that will cure your temptation to shoot lead thru it.:tongueout:

GioaJack
04-30-2011, 11:46
Casting one's own bullets is probably the poorest decision a loader can ever make. For decades the grievous safety concerns have been downplayed resulting in horrible and debilitating diseases in casters. Law suits abound against lead producing companies but most are mysteriously quashed by the illegal and morally questionable actions of the man.

The mere act of casting probably accounts for more divorces than any other single cause in the United States and its territories. The smoke created by melting pots has been responsible for numerous Fire Rescue and FEMA callouts which adds dramatically to the national debt. One who would even consider casting obviously cares nothing about the welfare of his country and is concerned not one wit about stealing from our children's and grandchildren's future. No lower form of life is known to mankind.

For the benefit of all we hold dear I urge you to give up this folly of casting and change to a more environmentally friendly activity... perhaps investing the money you'd spend on casting equipment and directing it to the construction of solar panels.

Do it for the planet, do it for your peace of mind... do it for the children.

Post script: Where do you park your car? :whistling:

Jack

fredj338
04-30-2011, 12:26
As mentioned above, an aftermarket barrel is your best bet. You physically can shoot them out of a stock barrel (I have seen it done) but it will not be accurate, there will be excessive leading, and the targets show the bullets quite possibly are tumbling.
Not really, accuracy can be there, it's just you areprobably going to have to tweek your alloy/size & powder charge more to find it. I shot lead bullets out of my 1st ge G17 for a couple years w/o incident. Then broke the extractor. Was it the lead bullets, who knows, but I went to a LW for now. It's actually a better bbl w/ jacketed or lead.

chris in va
04-30-2011, 19:52
I suspect it also depends on the caliber and pressure. My G21SF shoots my unquenched wheelweight boolits just fine, absolutely ZERO leading. I don't know what a higher pressure round would do.

IndyGunFreak
04-30-2011, 20:10
I would look around and see how difficult its going to be to acquire lead, before investing in the equipment.

IGF

dudel
05-01-2011, 05:09
I would look around and see how difficult its going to be to acquire lead, before investing in the equipment.

IGF

Good point. In some parts of the country, laws are already in place to outlaw the lead WW we covet. Some tire shops are having to send spent WW back to their supplier to get new WW.

WiskyT
05-01-2011, 06:19

And you will get hair on your palms:upeyes:

http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee460/Wiskyt/PC230011-1.jpg

fredj338
05-01-2011, 09:20
I suspect it also depends on the caliber and pressure. My G21SF shoots my unquenched wheelweight boolits just fine, absolutely ZERO leading. I don't know what a higher pressure round would do.

It does matter. Cartridge pressures are a key factor on leadding & accuracy w/ lead bullets. The 45acp is just made to run on lead bullets; low pressures, larger bore area, easy. The 9mm & 40 can be really finicky, but w/ a bit of tinkering, good success can be had.
Good point. In some parts of the country, laws are already in place to outlaw the lead WW we covet. Some tire shops are having to send spent WW back to their supplier to get new WW.
THis is going to be a problem going forward for bullet casters. The bigger states, like Kalif, have banned lead ww. So ww manuf are NOT going to make lead & zinc when they can just make one type. So even if they aren't banned in your states, the lead ww will dry up oin the 2-3yrs, about the life of a set of tires. SO if you can even find a shop that will give or sell to you, less & less of the ww will be lead. Berm mining will always be a good way to recover lead for casting. Find a sail boat marina & look for fishing/diving weights & boat keels. Old roofing & plumbing lead can be had for free at old construction sites, has to be hauled off as hazmat. Hit up any stained glass shops or classes for scrap came. Lead can also be bough in ingot form from e-bay but be ware of the sellers, some have no idea what they are selling & you can get alloy tah is ruined w/ zinc in it.

RustyFN
05-01-2011, 09:48
Can lead be shot in a Glock safely, yes. Is it recommended, no. I have a friend that shot lead in his G 17 for a couple of years with no problems. Then he bought a Storm Lake barrel for his G 17 and is much happier. He also said it is more accurate with the Storm Lake barrel. If I was going to shoot lead in my Glock I would buy an after market barrel.

im_n2_vws
05-06-2011, 15:34
My CCW instructor's G21 blew up in his hand shooting lead bullets through his.