Loading 7.62x39 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Loading 7.62x39

.45 guy
04-29-2011, 22:54
Is this one to do or not? Is there brass out there? Bulk bullets? Do I ask too many questions?:dunno:

Foxtrotx1
04-29-2011, 23:06
Largely impractical due to the cost and availability of surplus ammo. However, if your loading your own hunting loads or cooking up accurate loads for a bolt gun, sure! You can find reloading supplies for the 7.62x39. Google will help.

XDRoX
04-29-2011, 23:06
Is this one to do or not? Is there brass out there? Bulk bullets? Do I ask too many questions?:dunno:

Whenever I've done the calculations, it just didn't make sense to reload. Cheap Russian Wolf is just too inexpensive. Maybe if you had a rifle that you didn't want to shoot Wolf in, it would be worth it, but I only have an SKS and it shoots everything. I think I've only cleaned it twice in the past 15 years.

Plus reloading rifle sucks.

Foxtrotx1
04-29-2011, 23:08
Whenever I've done the calculations, it just didn't make sense to reload. Cheap Russian Wolf is just too inexpensive. Maybe if you had a rifle that you didn't want to shoot Wolf in, it would be worth it, but I only have an SKS and it shoots everything. I think I've only cleaned it twice in the past 15 years.

Plus reloading rifle sucks.

The new SIG 556R, as sweet looking as it is, is only able to shoot brass ammo. It may be beneficial to reload in that case.

.45 guy
04-29-2011, 23:10
Thanks guys I kinda thought this was the case. I looked briefly on Widners,Grafs for componets and it didn't look promising.

EL_NinO619
04-30-2011, 09:34
All the time ive been collecting brass, I probaly only have 50 boxer primed 7.62 x 39 everything else has been berdan. I say start saving brass and buying if you find a deal, just incase surplus ammo get low. But I,doubt that will happen in our time.

Gator Monroe
04-30-2011, 09:49
I'm hoarding components (Brass & primers ) and have best dies i could find for 7.62x39 ( One day like the $99.00 Russian & Chinese SKS' s dried up the Milsurp ammo will too (Notice how the tins of berdan primed stuff is either driying up or being priced in higher & higher range ...

shotgunred
04-30-2011, 10:13
Without affordable brass it just isn't worth it to me.

m2hmghb
04-30-2011, 10:15
I'm hoarding components (Brass & primers ) and have best dies i could find for 7.62x39 ( One day like the $99.00 Russian & Chinese SKS' s dried up the Milsurp ammo will too (Notice how the tins of berdan primed stuff is either driying up or being priced in higher & higher range ...

That's not milsurp ammo. That's new Russian factory made ammo. The reason it's more is because metal and fuel prices have gone up, as well as demand so they're charging more and the rest realize they can get more money for it.

GIockGuy24
04-30-2011, 14:42
I load it for accuracy. The most common brass currently available in Winchester which happens to be the weakest and last the fewest reloads. The Winchester cases split fairly easily. Lapua cases are expensive but hold up better. The older small primer Remington cases are very tough but rare and the current ones are large primer and I haven't seen them or tried them yet. Remington only makes cases in small runs from time to time. Somebody did post pictures of the newer large primer Remington cases so I have seen pictures of them but I don't know if they are anywhere near as tough as the small primer cases. Most other cases are better than Winchester but are not very common in large quantities. Somebody was selling once fired cases of mostly Remington mixed with others.

PsychoKnight
04-30-2011, 15:42
The new SIG 556R, as sweet looking as it is, is only able to shoot brass ammo. It may be beneficial to reload in that case.

I'm sure there's a good answer, but how is the Sig allergic to non-brass ammo?

GIockGuy24
04-30-2011, 17:27
The original Sig owner's manual says to only use brass case ammo or not to use steel case ammo. More recently Sig has changed their view and now say steel ammo is alright to use. A lot of Sigs have had problems though. A few people claim they haven't had problems but a large percentage seem to have problems with the 7.62x39 model.

Foxtrotx1
04-30-2011, 17:54
The original Sig owner's manual says to only use brass case ammo or not to use steel case ammo. More recently Sig has changed their view and now say steel ammo is alright to use. A lot of Sigs have had problems though. A few people claim they haven't had problems but a large percentage seem to have problems with the 7.62x39 model.

There are a few videos and threads around detailing how the SIG556R preforms with steel case. Also, CS says your warranty is void if you have used steel case.

GIockGuy24
04-30-2011, 18:02
There are a few videos and threads around detailing how the SIG556R preforms with steel case. Also, CS says your warranty is void if you have used steel case.

They have too many problems for the price. Some work fine with steel cases but many do not. Sig now says steel cases are acceptable. There seems to be a lot of quality control problems. Loose parts and other things just not fitting right or working right.

Foxtrotx1
04-30-2011, 19:19
They have too many problems for the price. Some work fine with steel cases but many do not. Sig now says steel cases are acceptable. There seems to be a lot of quality control problems. Loose parts and other things just not fitting right or working right.

Do you have a link for that update on the steelcase/warrenty issue? :wavey:

chris in va
04-30-2011, 19:47
Yup, good luck finding reloadable brass. I finally decided to sell my Saiga and pick up an AR for this reason, among others.

I do have a CZ carbine however and still reload just for that rifle. Lead bullets too!

Patrick Graham
05-01-2011, 16:59
I used to reload 7.62x39.

If you are going to use it in an SKS it's "Very" important to use the hardest large rifle primer you can find, like CCI #34.

john54
05-01-2011, 19:20
Or get an SKS spring loaded firing pin from Murray's. I have never had a problem with standard primers but noticed that my firing pin was hanging up a bit before I switched it. Switch the pin and you don't have to worry about using military primers. It's a pain to reload but I have done a bit of it for attempts at accuracy. I don't like using the nonreloadable ammo. Just a personal quirk. I know a lot of people swear by it.

John

390ish
05-06-2011, 16:56
It is a great caliber to reload for if you cast

FM12
05-09-2011, 17:42
I loaded some in 1999 and havent shot it yet. I dont get out much!