Optics Prices ??? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Optics Prices ???

scott,team,trk2
04-30-2011, 07:41
Is it just me or do ar style optics seem to have a odd price structure....if you show me a sight that is under 400.00 i will show you a review that says its junk.
i really just want a simple red dot with maybe 2x to 4x magnification and i have 800.00 in a new rifle , its not a question of do i have enough money but how do you spend the price of your rifle or more just for a quality slightly magnified red dot.
im just curious what people are a using and your thoughts on optics pricing.

Broncbuster
04-30-2011, 07:58
Unfortunately its the "in thing" so the price is up on quality optics. If you are looking for a decent but afforadable optic for range work, plinking, and maybe the occasional carbine class- check out Primary Arms. I have also used the Bushnell TRS25 with good results at a good price. I have not used but have seen good reviews on the Vortex Sparc as well.
If its a duty gun or for hard core use then a Aimpoint Pro would be the next step followed by the Aimpoint Micro's etc.

mpow66m
04-30-2011, 08:10
http://www.vortexoptics.com/
:cool:

scott,team,trk2
04-30-2011, 08:20
thanks.....thats funny i have all but settled on the strikefire from vortex.
and yes i do like aimpoint but they are very proud of their offerings $$$ but rightly so i geuss ,if were to vouch for one it would be the cco i dragged thru a 18 month deployment....or anything on that system for that matter including the matech.

ArmaGlock
04-30-2011, 08:57
It really depends on what you are using the rifle for. If it's just for plinking, you could compromise with something other than Aimpoint. If your life may depend on the rifle someday, or especially if it's a "work" rifle, I would stick with Aimpoint. Prices are high, but their stuff works. I won't even settle for an Eotech.....

FatBoy
04-30-2011, 09:17
This is nothing new in the shooting world. People that shoot bolt guns, who want to make repeatable small groups at various distances, have always spent big bucks on glass. The average shooter could buy a $100 scope and still hit minute of deer, while some guys will spend $$$ on quality glass to punch paper. Define what your mission is and figure out what level of pain your comfortable with.

FB

PlasticGuy
04-30-2011, 09:24
It really depends on what you are using the rifle for. If it's just for plinking, you could compromise with something other than Aimpoint. If your life may depend on the rifle someday, or especially if it's a "work" rifle, I would stick with Aimpoint. Prices are high, but their stuff works. I won't even settle for an Eotech.....
Exactly. Plink with whatever you want. Bet your life on the good stuff. Vortex isn't it. Neither is Primary Arms. If you can't afford Aimpoint, ACOG, or equivalent quality, you should probably just run irons.

bdh_1
04-30-2011, 09:35
Your desire for built in magnification greatly limits your choices. You can get an Aimpoint Comp C3 for under 400.00. I don't think you'll find reviews that say they are junk. They don't have NV capability and are not made for scuba diving. A magnifier can be added later if desired, but at additional cost.

redbrd
04-30-2011, 12:26

Why wouldn't you settle for an Eotech? I have used aimpoints, acog's and Eotechs and for CQB out to 300 meters I think an Eotech is far superior to an Aimpoint. Nothing ever broke off my Eotech and NVG function is better, it is way more forgiving for sight picture as well as better field of view for Cqb.

BobbyS
04-30-2011, 13:37
:popcorn:

micdude
04-30-2011, 13:49
Plinking= Primary Arms 80.00 w/mount

Depend on it for your life= AimPoint Patrol Rifle Optic 410.00 w/mount

boomhower
04-30-2011, 14:25
Plinking= Primary Arms 80.00 w/mount

Depend on it for your life= AimPoint Patrol Rifle Optic 410.00 w/mount

Winner. I have an Aimpoint Patrol and love it. For the price you just can't beat it. Comes with a mount, NV capabilities, and water resistant enough for those that don't intend to go to SEALS training.

PlasticGuy
04-30-2011, 14:30
Why wouldn't you settle for an Eotech? I have used aimpoints, acog's and Eotechs and for CQB out to 300 meters I think an Eotech is far superior to an Aimpoint. Nothing ever broke off my Eotech and NVG function is better, it is way more forgiving for sight picture as well as better field of view for Cqb.
Eotech has a spotty reputation compared to Aimpoint. I'm not the writer of the post you quoted, but I feel qualified to answer. In fact, my personal Eotech 552 had a defect and failed after about a month of use. Talking to instructors at some of the premier shooting schools, almost all like Aimpoints but it's a toss of the coin as to whether they have had good Eotech experiences or not.

I agree that the wide field of view and reticle are awesome, but reliability has been less than perfect. They say the newer versions with the battery mounted sideways are less prone to failure. I haven't used one extensively yet, so I can't comment on that.

We are issued Aimpoints at work. We abuse the heck out of them, and I haven't seen one fail yet. I've switched to Aimpoints and ACOGs on all my personal fighting rifles.

scott,team,trk2
04-30-2011, 14:52
i dont think i believe in the "plinking rifle" concept ,if you have a rifle chambered in 5.56 it should be capable if situation should dictate.
this is my first personal ar and i geuss im just having a hard time trying to digest the cost of a dot....... but a quality dot is what i want soooo since im older i'll just blame it all on them danged kids and their video games and go dump 700 on a frikin red dot....thanks for the thoughts guys

micdude
04-30-2011, 15:07
i dont think i believe in the "plinking rifle" concept ,if you have a rifle chambered in 5.56 it should be capable if situation should dictate.
this is my first personal ar and i geuss im just having a hard time trying to digest the cost of a dot....... but a quality dot is what i want soooo since im older i'll just blame it all on them danged kids and their video games and go dump 700 on a frikin red dot....thanks for the thoughts guys

Don't spend 700 just 410 on this aimpoint:
http://palmettostatearmory.com/1814.php
I'm all about a gooood deal

cowboy1964
04-30-2011, 15:08
EoTEch is #1 in law enforcement. It obviously works.

micdude
04-30-2011, 15:13

Eotech is good too; itís just whatís your preference I personal just like the look of Aimpoints better.

cowboy1964
04-30-2011, 15:19
Eotech is good too; itís just whatís your preference I personal just like the look of Aimpoints better.

I prefer the reticle ring on the Eotech and the large field of view.

I am interested in this new Aimpoint PRO though. I never liked the 4 MOA dot but 2 MOA is acceptable. Now if only quality magnifiers would come down in price!

micdude
04-30-2011, 15:25
I prefer the reticle ring on the Eotech and the large field of view.

I am interested in this new Aimpoint PRO though. I never liked the 4 MOA dot but 2 MOA is acceptable. Now if only quality magnifiers would come down in price!

Primary Arms has them for a good price and the quality seems to be good.Not bad for a cool 100.00 and there shipping is fast.

http://www.primaryarms.com/product.sc?productId=305&categoryId=400

redbrd
04-30-2011, 17:23
Plastic Guy, it seems our experiences are mirror images. I don't like tube sights for close quarter period, I would rather use iron. While the aimpoint is not a bad sight my experience they are no more dependable and have more pieces that do break dust cover and caps. I have spent 7 of the past 10 years down range most of that time I have used a Eotech for general purpose and CQB. I have been issued ACOGs and Aimpoints, I like the ACOG in wide open spaces. We just have different preferances based on diffeent experiences.
For the purpose of the thread both eotech and aimpoint are a bit pricey.

mpow66m
04-30-2011, 18:16
thanks.....thats funny i have all but settled on the strikefire from vortex.
and yes i do like aimpoint but they are very proud of their offerings $$$ but rightly so i geuss ,if were to vouch for one it would be the cco i dragged thru a 18 month deployment....or anything on that system for that matter including the matech.

I have a SPARC on my ACR and like it alot,gonna put it on my shotgun as soon as i buy this
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?p=WX2&i=139661:supergrin:

369.00 w/members discount,not to shabby.

ArmaGlock
05-01-2011, 08:30

It's from personal experience. I had issues with the mounting, the batteries, and then had issues with the whole device going bad. I guess it could happen to Aimpoint, but Eotech's reputation is full of people having problems, Aimpoint's issues are minimal.

Just my opinion, don't want to get jumped by a bunch of Eotech lovers!! :tongueout:

I'm a police officer, and let me tell you, just because it's #1 in law enforcement, does not mean a thing! A large majority of officers choose equipment based on price, not quality.

You wouldn't believe some of the crap I've seen other officers carry. Not saying that Eotech is crap, I just don't like them.

redbrd
05-01-2011, 09:59
In the end to each their own. I do like the eotech but if you have the option use what you like and trust. Not trying to jump anybody just sharing my opinions I have plenty not the first time people had different views. I have my big boy pants on.

Alaskapopo
05-06-2011, 20:28
Unfortunately its the "in thing" so the price is up on quality optics. If you are looking for a decent but afforadable optic for range work, plinking, and maybe the occasional carbine class- check out Primary Arms. I have also used the Bushnell TRS25 with good results at a good price. I have not used but have seen good reviews on the Vortex Sparc as well.
If its a duty gun or for hard core use then a Aimpoint Pro would be the next step followed by the Aimpoint Micro's etc.

Umm not quite. Yes people have discovered the benefits of quality optics. But good stuff has always costed a lot. In fact its not weird to spend more on the optic than the gun. The most versatile style of optic for the AR is the low power variables (1-4,5,6x) and they run from as low as $300 for a Burris TAC 30 to as high as 4k for Leupolds new 1.1-8 power scope.
Pat

Alaskapopo
05-06-2011, 20:29
Plastic Guy, it seems our experiences are mirror images. I don't like tube sights for close quarter period, I would rather use iron. While the aimpoint is not a bad sight my experience they are no more dependable and have more pieces that do break dust cover and caps. I have spent 7 of the past 10 years down range most of that time I have used a Eotech for general purpose and CQB. I have been issued ACOGs and Aimpoints, I like the ACOG in wide open spaces. We just have different preferances based on diffeent experiences.
For the purpose of the thread both eotech and aimpoint are a bit pricey.

Sounds like someone needs to learn how to shoot with both eyes open. If you do having a tube sight is not problem.
Pat