44 Mag Cases Very Difficult to Size [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 44 Mag Cases Very Difficult to Size

ColCol
04-30-2011, 13:33
I searched everywhere and couldn't find any brass 44 Mag cases so I bought some Starline's in nickel.I wanted either Starline or Winchester and most were on back order. I tried running them through my size die and thought they'd never go in. I had to really put some pressure on the ram handle to get them all the way up and back. Plus, there were vertical scratches on the cases. I don't much care for nickel cases and wondered if this was typical of the breed. I have some cases in 45 ACP and honestly don't remember them being that difficult to size. I had to really put some pressure on the handle to get the case in and out of the 44 die(RCBS for 44 Special). Realizing the mag case is longer I backed out a little but that didn't help. I mean the whole work bench was shaking...what the hell's with this?

Boxerglocker
04-30-2011, 14:04
I loaded a big lot of nickel .45 ACP on my SDB once (500) rounds. Got the brass on trade for something don't remember. Anyways to my recollection, yes it's a little tougher to load due to the harder nickel plating. I remember having to give it a little extra HOS lube and it became manageable. I would try some along with making sure your sizing die ia freshly cleaned, that should cut down on those vertical sizing marks.

bush pilot
04-30-2011, 14:05
I assume it's a carbide die. Did you check the die for previous scratches on the inside? Try a little HOS when sizing, makes mine size like a hot knife through butter.

ColCol
04-30-2011, 15:26
OK-it's hard to admit you were wrong but I had a tremendous brain fart! This ain't no carbide die.:supergrin: I bought this set back in the late 70's and after much ado today, realized it couldn't be carbide being that diffictult to size. I broke out my old RCBS pad that still had some lube on it and it made things a lot easier. The reason I thought it was carbide, all my other pistol dies have the carbide sizer, even the ones bought many years ago so, I didn't give it a second thought that these weren't. I promptly ordered one from Graf and Sons today. Another dumb move was to order the carbide 44 Spec/Mag sizer when I could have gotten an entire set of dies for the same price. I need to quit casting, reloading for the weekend. My primer arm broke today as well. Must be an omen.

PsychoKnight
04-30-2011, 15:38
OK-it's hard to admit you were wrong but I had a tremendous brain fart! This ain't no carbide die.:supergrin: I bought this set back in the late 70's and after much ado today, realized it couldn't be carbide being that diffictult to size. I broke out my old RCBS pad that still had some lube on it and it made things a lot easier. The reason I thought it was carbide, all my other pistol dies have the carbide sizer, even the ones bought many years ago so, I didn't give it a second thought that these weren't. I promptly ordered one from Graf and Sons today. Another dumb move was to order the carbide 44 Spec/Mag sizer when I could have gotten an entire set of dies for the same price. I need to quit casting, reloading for the weekend. My primer arm broke today as well. Must be an omen.

Call and change the order for a full carbide die set. They'll understand. If the already sent it out, ask for an RMA if you can place an order for the full die set. If its been shipped out already, you'll still only be out the price of shipping, two ways, as opposed to being out the price of 2 ro 3 additional dies.

Boxerglocker
04-30-2011, 15:46
Call and change the order for a full carbide die set. They'll understand. If the already sent it out, ask for an RMA if you can place an order for the full die set. If its been shipped out already, you'll still only be out the price of shipping, two ways, as opposed to being out the price of 2 ro 3 additional dies.

:agree: If you only ordered from Graf's today chances they will not complete processing and ship it till Monday.

fredj338
04-30-2011, 16:15
I am surprised you didn't stick a case w/o lubing them. The scratching is also not uncommon w/ steel dies. Grit gets embeded & transfers to the case. Take the die apart & polish it w/ some 000 steel wool & clean it well after.

ColCol
04-30-2011, 18:57
:agree: If you only ordered from Graf's today chances they will not complete processing and ship it till Monday.

It was from Graf's. I sent them a message about it but I'm sure no one was around to receive it since I haven't gotten confirmation email about the order. Hopefully they'll see the message sent and change it. I may just call Monday morning and see what can be done. I thought they were the same price but rechecked and the set is just $10 more. I should have thought about that first.

The scratches are still there despite the cleaning and lubing. I started lubing every other case with my old RCBS lube pad. I had cleaned the inside with Hoppe's and followed by several clean patches earlier but inside the die there are no visible scratches. These old 3-die sets for straight wall cases don't have a decapping pin in the size die. It's in the expander die so, access to the inside of the sizer is easy since there's nothing to remove.