smelting clip on and stick on together? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : smelting clip on and stick on together?

atakawow
05-01-2011, 00:30
Some fella sold me 200+/- #s of mixed WWs and some other junks. Someone told me I should separate the clip ons and the stick ons since they have different hardness and material compositions.

Is this necessary? Seems like it is real work to sort through 200 #s of junk.

dudel
05-01-2011, 04:59
I smelt clipon and stickons together. The stickons seem to most of what's available now. I get so few clipons it's not worth separating. The clipons are a bit harder; while the stickons are almost pure lead. If you have enough of each, it might be worth segregating them.

If you are new to this, it could be worth your effort to separate out the zincs (and steel, iron, etc). It goes fairly fast with a pair of wire cutters. Lead will mark easily, the others won't.

If you don't have a thermometer, it easy enough to get the zinc melted with the lead, and that makes a mess of your alloy (for boolit casting at least). It's work, but you end up with less expensive projectiles. Pay money, or pay sweat.

WiskyT
05-01-2011, 06:09
The reason some seperate the stick-ons is because the SO weights are very soft and good for muzzle loading. Also, since they are soft, they soften the mixture if not seperated out.

fredj338
05-01-2011, 09:31
The reason some seperate the stick-ons is because the SO weights are very soft and good for muzzle loading. Also, since they are soft, they soften the mixture if not seperated out.
Correct WT. Clip ww are about perfect for bullet alloy, going about 11-12BHN. The stick ons are almost rure lead. There are steel & zinc of both types & you do NOT want any zinc in your alloy. If you smelt them together, you get a softer alloy, what I call 50/50 alloy, a lot like range scrap. It will run fine for 45acp, 38sp & other low pressure rounds. It will likely cause issue in higher vel/pressure 9mm & 40 though.
So many will separate it for blending later depending on caliber. I have three ingot molds; one for pure lead, one fore clip ww & one for range scrap or 50/50. SO I know by whcih ingot what alloy I have & can blend it readily for any caliber from 380 to 45-70.

Three-Five-Seven
05-01-2011, 14:16
I would smelt the stick-ons separately because they are pure lead. That way, I can soften an alloy, or start with pure lead, to achieve the mix.

If you smelt them together, you loose the ability to moderate the alloy without purchasing more lead.

In my view, pure lead is the most important thing to have on hand. So, the stick ons would be a prize to me.