Let me start Simple... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Let me start Simple...

stihlhard
05-01-2011, 09:37
Realistically, I go to the range twice a week and shoot anywhere from 50 to 200 yards when using a borrowed AR 15. When I buy/build my own I want to do the same, and also expect to clean it, put it away, and if the need ever comes - be able to grab it with confidence for home use! So I will start simple with the questions: with regards to the upper i.e. the barrel and bgc, what will I want to look for / what are the non obvious differences between chrome molly, chrome lined, stainless steal ect?????

MajorD
05-07-2011, 11:51
for a range gun and home defense gun there's no need for chrome lined or stainless- these come into play in real humid environments where guns may need to be used and carried with limited time to keep clean and oiled, for those of us in the USA not patrolling the florida everglades with an AR no big deal.lots of people are saying BCM uppers are first rate and i have no info to refute that. assembling your own lower at home is easy -especially for your first one is gonig to be better to get a fully assembled upper half.

B.Reid
05-07-2011, 13:57
I recommend the mid length gas system.

surf
05-07-2011, 14:09
First off I would say that the barrel and bolt carrier group are perhaps the two most critical pieces in the weapon, so I wouldn't generally suggest cutting corners here in any weapon that is going to be for defensive purposes.

Ideally you should look for a 16" 1:9 to 1:7 barrel that is chrome lined and not a heavy profile, that has been high pressure tested (HPT) and magnetic particle inspected (MPI). That would be more of an "ideal" barrel fit for your needs. I prefer a fixed front sight base for your description of needs but that is not a must. If you go fixed front sight base I would also prefer an "F" marked base to match for a flat top upper which would be my suggestion and personal choice.

For a bolt carrier group, I would also suggest an HPT/MPI set up with proper staking of the gas key. These features in combination generally suggest a quality overall bolt carrier group. To expand if you find a maker putting out an upper where every barrel and bolt is HPI / MPT with the above specs, you can again generally assume a quality upper, but it is good to ask when you find something your interested in.

kobel1up
05-09-2011, 09:27
Can I throw a question in here? First time here in the AR forum, I spend most of my time in the 1911. Now I have been really thinking about buying or building an AR for range use, I have my home defense guns, both are reliable and accurate. I will tell you my choice of gun that is all assembled shown here. http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_753/products_id/411542882

Now from what I can tell and what a friend has told me it is gas operated, which is a must for me. He said that gas operated is way better in the long run. Now this will be a gun that is upgraded with some frills over time, not all at once.

I can build a gun if it will be as good or better then my assembled choice, but I don't know where to start.

My want list. Must be accurate to 150 yrds, at least keep a 3 in group. Gas operated, reliable to the point that I am not replacing parts or jamming on me all the time. It will be a safe gun and only used for target and varmint shooting, cleaned and put away.

If not to much to ask could you give a short description of parts and such, I understand what the lower is and parts in it, the upper and what all it contains I am a little ify on. Thanks in advance.

bullittmcqueen
05-09-2011, 10:33
Can I throw a question in here? First time here in the AR forum, I spend most of my time in the 1911. Now I have been really thinking about buying or building an AR for range use, I have my home defense guns, both are reliable and accurate. I will tell you my choice of gun that is all assembled shown here. http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_753/products_id/411542882

Now from what I can tell and what a friend has told me it is gas operated, which is a must for me. He said that gas operated is way better in the long run. Now this will be a gun that is upgraded with some frills over time, not all at once.

I can build a gun if it will be as good or better then my assembled choice, but I don't know where to start.

My want list. Must be accurate to 150 yrds, at least keep a 3 in group. Gas operated, reliable to the point that I am not replacing parts or jamming on me all the time. It will be a safe gun and only used for target and varmint shooting, cleaned and put away.

If not to much to ask could you give a short description of parts and such, I understand what the lower is and parts in it, the upper and what all it contains I am a little ify on. Thanks in advance.

Read the above post by surf. Almost everything you need to know regarding quality parts in building an AR is in his post.

The double-star rifle you linked does not have any of the quality parts he is speaking about though IIRC.

Jack Black
05-09-2011, 16:45

I built my Bravo Company rifle with MOE furniture for less than $100 more than that DoubleStar (although I later upped the price by adding a Daniel Defense rail). I think if you do your research you'll find that the quality of my BCM is much higher than a DS. And by build I mean I purchased an upper and blemished lower separately and pinned them together in 10 seconds.