DU-O-Measure Won't Work Well with Unique [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : DU-O-Measure Won't Work Well with Unique

ColCol
05-01-2011, 10:58
Does anyone have the old Ohaus DU-O-Measure powder measure? I've had one since the late 70's and it's been a dream. I just recently started working up some loads for the 44 Magnum(10 gr of Unique) with the #429421 mold and found it's next to impossible to throw a 10 gr charge of Unique from this measure. I had the metering stem nearly all the way out and it refused to throw more than about 8 gr of the powder. What gives with that? According to their Instruction manual with the measure set for small charges, you can get up to 15 gr of "normal" pistol powder to measure... whatever normal is and I consider Unique to be "normal" Anyone had this problem with Unique and this measure?

fredj338
05-01-2011, 12:27
I have an early RCBS Duo, it runs fine w/ Unique if I do my part. A good technique is critical. I am not sure which cyl it has in it, but my 9gr of Uniue throws on a much lower number setting on the micrometer. Maybe I have the large cyl? It's been setup that way for like 30yrs.

ron59
05-01-2011, 12:31
Google search and I'm pretty sure you'll find many complain about Unique in Dillon Powder Measures, which is why I've avoided it.

There are too many "good" powders out there to fool with one that doesn't measure consistently.

dwhite53
05-01-2011, 14:28
Unique is notorious for metering problems. I have found though that is measures pretty consistent with a dipper. Just this afternoon I filed down a .32 ACP case to drop 4.4 grains of Unique. I dipped 10 charges and didn't have more than +/- 0.1 grain difference.

I made one out of a 9mm case to drop 5.8 grains and it works just as well.

All the Best,
D. White

ColCol
05-01-2011, 17:15
It meters but not consistently. I finally got it to go beyond 8 gr but it's sporadic. I had to resort to using a trickler but that was getting laborious as I had to trickle more than a grain or so. Universal meters like AA#5 or HS-6 in this measure but not Unique. shame as I intended on using 10 gr of Unique with the 245-250 gr bullet but it's beginning to be a slow process.

PsychoKnight
05-01-2011, 18:36
Light and flakey, plust static cling, and you get sizable air voids in the cavity. Some people rub a dryer sheet on all the powder contact surfaces, even patches of it through the drop tube for the anti-static properties of the powdered chemical.

Maybe try that before giving up. It could be worse. You could be using 800X.

GioaJack
05-01-2011, 19:24
Out of four Dillon measures, two Hornady measures and an RCBS measure Unique consistently drops within 2 tenths of a grain which is perfectly acceptable for that powder.

Obviously there are powders that throw within one tenth but for all the good things Unique has going for it, especially if you shoot lead, there just isn't any major reason not to use it.

For those who shoot indoors a less smokey powder may be preferable and it must be run at mid-levels at least for complete combustion.

Jack

ColCol
05-01-2011, 19:32
I do shoot primarily indoors and think I'll go with Universal and HS-6. Both of these do well with several calibers but Unique does have a place in my heart and for the time being(especially since I've loaded 50 rounds already)I'll have to endure the smoke. It's a great powder but for some reason doesn't meter well though my measure.

ron59
05-01-2011, 21:23
It meters but not consistently.

Translation: it doesn't meter well. What I said in post #3.