Brass scavanging at my local indoor range - observations [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Brass scavanging at my local indoor range - observations

cowboy1964
05-01-2011, 12:36
Seems like more than half of the pistol cases are 9mm and .45 ACP. I'm really surprised there is so much .45 ACP. Coming in in third place would be .22 LR I guess. Coming in at fourth place would be .40S&W. I really would have thought there would be more .40. Following .40 closely would be .380 ACP.

Lots of rifle cases of various calibers. Which is odd because not that many people seem to be shooting rifles there. Maybe it just seems like there is a lot because they are larger.

There are surprisingly few metal or aluminum cases. Rifle cases seem to have a much higher percentage of these than do pistol.

I found my first 357 SIG case the other day. Just one. Ive been thinking about getting into 357 SIG but that fact that I recover very few of the cases that I actually shoot, since they go all over the place, I probably would run out of brass pretty quickly so I'm rethinking that. I really don't want to have to chase after every single case I fire.

I have never found 10mm or .45 GAP.

I've never noticed any revolver calibers either but maybe I've conditioned myself to ignore them entirely. You'd think there would be some since not everyone saves their brass.

WiskyT
05-01-2011, 12:52
Revolvers shooters take their brass home or put it in the trash can on the way out.

After decades of reloading, I came across one 10mm case mixed in with the brass I was picking up. I find a little 357Sig brass here and there, but I think people who shoot that round fire off a few boxes and trade the gun off because I never see it on a consistent basis.

glocknick
05-01-2011, 12:56
i was happy to find 2 pieces of 10mm brass. seems very hard to find and i have never found 45 gap. 357 sig i have found about 50-100 over the years.

michael e
05-01-2011, 13:10
I find them all. I do shoot all those from 380 to 10mm but the only 45 gap 10mm 357 sig i find are usually mine. Its rare that you find revolver casings on the ground several times i have found full empty boxes of 38 on the table when i get there. I think i have found 1 38 super casing in 10 + yrs of looking

dbarry
05-01-2011, 14:47
I always clean up all the gap stuff before you guys get there.

fredj338
05-01-2011, 14:59
Always regional. At the club I shoot, lots of 9mm & 40, very little 45acp. I think most 45acp, certainly the majority of 10mm shooters reload. Lots of LEO come to practice around here & they shoot mostly 40.

MrVvrroomm
05-01-2011, 15:46
The majority of the indoor pickings I find are 9mm, followed closely by .40.

Whenever the range owner finds a few stray GAP rounds he hands them to me.

Wash-ar15
05-01-2011, 16:42
9mm is wha ti find the most. Most of the 45 guys ai know reload so they pick up after themselves. 40 ,i find only if some cops have been shooting.

Boxerglocker
05-01-2011, 17:35
9mm is wha ti find the most. Most of the 45 guys ai know reload so they pick up after themselves. 40 ,i find only if some cops have been shooting.

That's why I love going to Sam's on the weekends for a quick visit. Mostly casual shooters. Today, Amy and I only shot 150 rounds total of 9mm. Went home with at least 500 9mm cases and another 150 or so of .45 and .40. for to be traded later bucket. :cool:

ron59
05-01-2011, 21:26
I also see way more .40 than .45. I have 200-300 .357SIG, mostly collected a few years ago, I almost never see it now. Count me in as another who has never seen .45GAP. I have come across the occasional 10mm, not enough to keep.

Peter M. Eick
05-21-2011, 17:26
I picked up a bunch of 10mm at the range today. Ours has brass everywhere and for long time foolks they let you pick up some. They seem to ignore the no picking up range brass rule if you keep it reasonable.

I am much more selective now. I only grab the 10's 357 sigs, 357 Max and the more uncommon rounds. I usually will pick up the 44/40 or 45 colts but I skip the 380's 9's 40's 357mag/38 specials and especially the 45's. They are like desert pavement on our range.

My shooting buddy picked up some 5.7x28's today. They are becoming more common now.

BSA70
05-22-2011, 08:31
My range depends on who is there before me. I reload .40 and have a life time supply. I reload .38 not near as much as the .40 but probably enough to last me. Bunches and bunches of .45, dont reload so I leave it there....

shotgunred
05-22-2011, 09:19
I never shoot at indoor ranges. I did go shoot a IDPA match at one earlier this year. Worst IDPA match ever. But I did end up with almost half a 5 gallon bucket of brass. I was the only reloader that wasn't reloading 45. So lots of 9mm and about 500 rounds of 40. Which made the crappy match worth it.

BSA70
05-22-2011, 09:24
I never shoot at indoor ranges. I did go shoot a IDPA match at one earlier this year. Worst IDPA match ever. But I did end up with almost half a 5 gallon bucket of brass. I was the only reloader that wasn't reloading 45. So lots of 9mm and about 500 rounds of 40. Which made the crappy match worth it.

I have really thought about IDPA. What does it cost to preticipate in a match? Do you spend alot in a year on competition?

Tvov
05-22-2011, 09:30
They seem to ignore the no picking up range brass rule if you keep it reasonable.

What do you mean by this? The range doesn't allow you to pickup any brass? Or is there certain "range brass" that you aren't supposed to pickup?

The ranges near me ask (actually, require) that people cleanup their brass.

WiskyT
05-22-2011, 09:44
I have really thought about IDPA. What does it cost to preticipate in a match? Do you spend alot in a year on competition?

I don't do IDPA, but I have been to a few matches. It is about as user and amature friendly as a competition can be. Most places will let you shoot a few matches for $10.00 or so without joining IDPA. After a couple of matches, they typically expect you to join the organization.

While no combat matches relate much to actual combat IMO, IDPA is the least silly of them all. Stages are usually 10 rounds or so with a mag change or two. It's really idiot proof and requires no real investment. All you need is a holster that covers the trigger guard, a mag carrier and a couple of mags, a garment to conceal your gun, and a quick read of the rules. All of these things are stuff you should have already if you carry a gun.

shotgunred
05-22-2011, 09:49

As gun things goes IDPA is cheap. One place I go charges $10 and the other charges $11. All you need is 3 mags with 2 mag holders, a holster, gun, ammo, eyes and ear protection. Not that you can't spend a lot more if you are inclined. But to compete in Stock service pistol that it.
We normally go through 120 round in a meet.

CitizenOfDreams
05-22-2011, 09:52
Here is what I found in the bucket of brass I bought at my local range...
- Mostly 9mm, 45ACP, and 40S&W.
- Quite a bit of .22LR.
- A bunch of .38SPL and .357MAG.
- Not enough .380ACP.
- Some 10mm.
- A handful of stepchild calibers like 45GAP and .357Sig.
- Trace quantities of .25, .32, 9x18 Makarov, .38 Super and other weirdos.

WiskyT
05-22-2011, 10:35
Here is what I found in the bucket of brass I bought at my local range...
- Mostly 9mm, 45ACP, and 40S&W.
- Quite a bit of .22LR.
- A bunch of .38SPL and .357MAG.
- Not enough .380ACP.
- Some 10mm.
- A handful of stepchild calibers like 45GAP and .357Sig.
- Trace quantities of .25, .32, 9x18 Makarov, .38 Super and other weirdos.

32 ACP isn't a weirdo, I use it:whistling:

Hogpauls
05-22-2011, 21:28
Anytime I find 10MM casings it's like I hit the lottery, everytime I loose one the need for Xanax kicks in.

Bob2223
05-22-2011, 21:46
Never been to a public range indoor or out or paid to shoot.
The free brass thing sounds though.

Bob

stumpjumper
05-23-2011, 04:24
Is there any reason to keep 357 sig and 32acp? I have some and never see it for sale. The last 2 buckets I went through was mainly 9mm,40, 45,380 and 22-I don't count or keep rifle calibers.

shotgunred
05-23-2011, 06:13
I told myself several years ago that I was going to buy a 357 sig barrel when I found 1K of 357 sig brass. I haven't made it to 100 yet.

WiskyT
05-23-2011, 17:45
Is there any reason to keep 357 sig and 32acp? I have some and never see it for sale. The last 2 buckets I went through was mainly 9mm,40, 45,380 and 22-I don't count or keep rifle calibers.

32 ACP rocks!

SilentVectorX
05-24-2011, 23:28
I might be a little off-topic, because my range is outdoor and allows picking up your own brass and any other brass that gets left behind.

I can pick up REALLY scuzzy brass, even that black stuff will look new when I'm done wet SS tumbling it.

Sunday's take (mostly 9mm, 40cal, 223, and some 22-250 & 243):
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3109/5757534248_255816363a_z.jpg

Today's take (more 9mm, 40cal, and 223):
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2631/5756990259_3d1bb3699a_z.jpg

Peter M. Eick
05-28-2011, 18:08
Question to me on range brass.

At our range you are not supposed to pick up any brass that is not yours.

ASC in Houston is a big public range. Every bench was full today when I was there and very very few folks pick up the brass. The RO's sweep it into buckets hourly. Normally there is a 2 to 3 in carpet of brass out ahead of the benches, but they brought in a front end loader to clean it up.

Trust me when I say there is tons of brass there. It is truly hard to fathom.

Chaos88
05-28-2011, 18:32
I have a question for you reloaders do you ever just dump out the ranges brass bucket and take that? My range has two 5 gallon bucket that are always half full because they make you have you lane free of brass before you leave, at least everything behind the firing line or is that a no no? I look at what I pick up that dosnt look like .40cal and only find .22lr 9mm and .380acp and .45 never find any cool stuff

Cavalry Doc
05-28-2011, 18:43
Just spent a couple hours on the range today, 103 in the shade, mostly shooting and chatting, and a little tiny bit spent on brass. Found on range were about 50 .40, about 40 .223, 20 .45, and for the first time ever, recovered all of my .308.

Get what you can for free, and inspect it well. There may be a reason it was left.

PCJim
05-28-2011, 20:56
At our range you are not supposed to pick up any brass that is not yours.

ASC in Houston is a big public range. Every bench was full today when I was there and very very few folks pick up the brass. The RO's sweep it into buckets hourly. Normally there is a 2 to 3 in carpet of brass out ahead of the benches, but they brought in a front end loader to clean it up.

Trust me when I say there is tons of brass there. It is truly hard to fathom.

I shot there one time several years ago. Out west of Houston towards Katy, in a low lying park or something similar. I remember all the signs posted everywhere about not picking up brass. I picked mine up and didn't hear anyone complain, RO or otherwise. That was the first time I saw one of those "Ammo Up" brass retrievers in action (quite a clever gismo!) as they had two of them working the firing line. You had to be quick in retrieving your brass if you didn't want it to become owned by the range.

Kwesi
05-29-2011, 05:26
I pick up lot's of .45 and 9mm at my indoor range. A few months ago I a casing caught my eye it was a 10mm then I found 64 more...wow!

shotgunred
05-29-2011, 10:19
I have a question for you reloaders do you ever just dump out the ranges brass bucket and take that? My range has two 5 gallon bucket that are always half full because they make you have you lane free of brass before you leave, at least everything behind the firing line or is that a no no? I look at what I pick up that dosnt look like .40cal and only find .22lr 9mm and .380acp and .45 never find any cool stuff

That is one of the best reasons to own a shell sorter. Pour the bucket into another bucket and keep the good stuff while the range gets to keep the bad.
http://www.shellsorter.com/files/page0_1.jpg

capreppy
05-31-2011, 07:29
I shoot mainly outdoors, but that may change as the heat in North TX is getting to the point of being unbearable.

Most of the RO's know that I reload and know not to take the brass buggy anywhere near me. They do however go out of their way to find special brass and let me know about it. Anytime a revolver shooter is there when I am, they'll let me know. I'll ask if he reloads (generally easy to tell as they showed up with commercially boxed ammo). If not, I politely ask if I can have the brass. I've gotten quite a bit of 357 Mag, 38 Special, 44 Magnum, & 45 Long Colt this way.

Before I even start shooting, I police my general area (pretty wide general area) so I don't ruin any brass that is already on the ground.

I've been known to dumpster dive. I pulled out 100 pieces of once fired (still IN the original box) of Winchester headstamped 308 Win. Last week came away with a good rifle haul that included 308 Win/7.62 NATO, 22-250 Remington, 243 Winchester, 223 Remington/5.56 NATO, & 6.8 SPC (don't ask me about them cause its not enough to ship).

Pistol wise, agree with most, 9mm Luger & 45 ACP. When there are 40 S&W shooters, they almost NEVER reload so I grab all of it. I will get a smattering of other calibers.

I've recently gone to Stainless Steel media so I grab some really filthy ones and they come out great. Just stick them with the other range brass that I find.

kshutt
05-31-2011, 20:08
At the two indoor ranges that I shoot at you'll find in this order: .45acp, 9mm, and .40 S&W. After that it's a mixed bag of .380, .22, and assorted other stuff. I never leave either one of my ranges with less than 50-100 once fired .45acp and/or 9mm cases of the same brand head stamp. I can't believe the number of people that shoot 9mm and .45acp factory ammo at these places, and just leave them on the floor. I can have what I want, but don't want to spend too much time picking up brass. Amazing........... :cool:

PCJim
05-31-2011, 21:11
At the two indoor ranges that I shoot at..... I can't believe the number of people that shoot 9mm and .45acp factory ammo at these places, and just leave them on the floor. I can have what I want, but don't want to spend too much time picking up brass. Amazing........... :cool:

I used to shoot at indoor ranges, and still do when traveling. The local indoor ranges that I used to frequent have a policy of charging you "by the minute" if you go over your hour's allottment. There is no savings when scrounging brass while on the clock.

The other ranges I use when traveling charge you for admission to the lanes. If no one is waiting, you stay as long as you want. Scrounge to your hearts content.

freakshow10mm
05-31-2011, 21:49
Cowboy, one thing to take notice too is the 100yr anniversary of the 1911 pistol being adopted by the US military. There are a lot of .45s being sold this year because of this.

In my area, 9mm and .45 sell really well. 40 only sells to cops and few others. Not much elsewhere except right before hunting season the revolver cartridges (357 and 44 Mags, 45 Colt) pick up a bit. It's mostly 9mm and .45, .40 only when the cops run their quals, and the rest are sporadic and rare.

kshutt
06-01-2011, 03:58
I used to shoot at indoor ranges, and still do when traveling. The local indoor ranges that I used to frequent have a policy of charging you "by the minute" if you go over your hour's allottment. There is no savings when scrounging brass while on the clock.

The other ranges I use when traveling charge you for admission to the lanes. If no one is waiting, you stay as long as you want. Scrounge to your hearts content.

I guess I am lucky then. The two indoor ranges I shoot at charge one price, and you're set for the day. That's a lot of shootin' and once-fired-brass-grabbin! :supergrin:

wct097
06-01-2011, 05:52
I don't think my range has a policy against picking up brass. They ask that you clean up, and have a brass bucket where they obviously recycle/sort/sell the brass. I personally try to only pick up my own brass. When I'm shooting my 10mm, I quite literally pause ever mag or two and search out all of the brass I just used.

ustate
06-01-2011, 08:30
I have a spot up in the mountains that I shoot at and either the majority of people that shoot there are reloaders or other reloaders beat me to the brass because I rarely see anything there except shotgun hulls and 22 cases.

Last fall I went with a friend to his favorite spot and there were probably 200 .45gap but my friend knew someone with one so he took them all to give away.