S&w m&p vtac [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : S&w m&p vtac

cbus
05-01-2011, 15:37
OK, so I find myself in the market for an AR. I was looking to spend less than 1k. I was even looking to build one myself. But I stumbled upon this - http://palmettostatearmory.com/1754.php

Not EXACTLY what I was looking for. I was leaning toward a mid-length at 18", and iron sights/carry handle.

Primary duties would be paper punching and a go-to-rifle. No HD really, as I'm in an urban environment and own plenty of 12ga's.

I know it blows my budget, especially when it does not include optics or sights... But it seems like a great deal - anyone care to talk me out of it before I anger my wife?
Any way to build a mid-length with similar features/trigger for under 1k?

=)

Thanks,
Anthony

micdude
05-01-2011, 19:07
Looks good all the spec's are right plus that price is really good. I found this review for you

Well today I received my Smith and Wesson M & P 15 VTAC Rifle. I have been waiting for this rifle for a while now and today the brown truck delivered.

When I first opened the box I was truly impressed with the fit and finish. However, I will say that I'm not a fit and finish type rifle driver. I'm more about reliability, accuracy and durability. When I opened the plastic case I saw that it contained the rifle, Surefire G2 light, the VERY durable VTAC Light Mount, a made in the USA VTAC two point padded sling and the rail sections for the VTAC fore end tube.

As I removed the rifle from the case I immediately noticed that it not a heavy carbine. I checked the chamber to insure that it was clear. I moved the safety to the fire position and dry fired it. WOW!! is all that I could say. The trigger is the best trigger I have ever felt in a rifle. I worked the charging handle and eased the trigger to reset, pressed again and another WOW!! escaped my mouth. I was very impressed my how smooth and light the trigger felt. I retrieved my electronic trigger pull gauge from the tool box and checked the trigger weight. A very smooth 4.2 lbs. NICE!! The JP Enterprises trigger is very nice.

The front of the upper receiver is marked M4.

I placed the rifle on the bench and field stripped it. I immediately noticed the bolt was properly staked. Also I observed that the extractor contained a black extractor spring buffer and an o-ring around the extractor spring.

I removed the VTAC fore end tube. I observed that the gas block as pinned and they used set screws on the bottom of the gas block which was a nice touch.

After setting the rail sections in place and I put the fore end back in place.

Continuing the exterior inspection I noticed the flash suppressor was a Surefire. I thought this was a very nice touch. Also as you can see in the below picture the barrel is marked 5.56 with a 1/7 twist.

So far I'm overall impressed with this rifle. I will hold out for the final opinion for when I get the opportunity to take it to the range Saturday morning. I'm looking forward to use this rifle during a closed class with Tiger Swan and Brian Searcy later this month.

Mayhem like Me
05-06-2011, 21:58
That is a great deal on that rifle ...they came out at around 1500 if I remember correctly

WoodenPlank
05-06-2011, 22:07
OK, so I find myself in the market for an AR. I was looking to spend less than 1k. I was even looking to build one myself. But I stumbled upon this - http://palmettostatearmory.com/1754.php

Not EXACTLY what I was looking for. I was leaning toward a mid-length at 18", and iron sights/carry handle.

Primary duties would be paper punching and a go-to-rifle. No HD really, as I'm in an urban environment and own plenty of 12ga's.

I know it blows my budget, especially when it does not include optics or sights... But it seems like a great deal - anyone care to talk me out of it before I anger my wife?
Any way to build a mid-length with similar features/trigger for under 1k?

=)

Thanks,
Anthony

I much prefer the newer, Troy-built VTAC rail over the JP version, especially because the rail sections for the JP rail are pretty expensive.

Sharkey
05-07-2011, 08:29
Uh oh, I see a drain in my wallet coming. Just sold a older PWA Commando and wanted a patrol carbine set up almost like this. That is a pretty good deal. I think CDNN wanted $1400 for them.

Mayhem like Me
05-07-2011, 15:11
you wont be sorry that is a smoking deal on a very quality gun.