case trimmers? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : case trimmers?

M1A Shooter
05-01-2011, 18:07
i started using a possum hollow manual trimmer and adapted it to my cordless drill to have a power trimmer. this was fine since it was cheap and trimmed to minimum trim length for my auto rifles. now im wanting to try to get more consisatncy out of my bolt guns and am looking for a decent adjustable trimmer.

that said, im cheap. i hate spending too much on reloading stuff as you can tell by my use of Lee single stage press and possum hollow trimmers, but they work. i will most likely get a manual trimmer. maybe something that can be upgraded to power in the future?

what are you guys using?

EL_NinO619
05-01-2011, 18:30
Hornady, or Forster cam trimmers. There not cheap but I know they work well.

Boxerglocker
05-01-2011, 18:31
I thought of it long and hard before deciding that manual was not for me. I went the Dillon RT1200 sizer/trimmer route.

I did however make a decision based on reviews and experience from others I had talked to that is I were to go the manual route... I would have bought the Horandy Cam-Lock Case Trimmer Kit.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=315831

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/large/315/315831.jpg

The feature I liked the most about it was the height of the frame for the crank handle clearance. The cutters I have read are among the better rated too and it takes all deburr and chamfer attachments as well.

Hoser
05-01-2011, 18:34
LE Wilson or Giraud.

PCJim
05-01-2011, 20:30
M1A, looks like you and I are thinking the same, only I'm a week ahead of you. I also use the PH Kwick Trimmer for my .223 (just finished prepping a batch of 448 cases last night).

My nephew bought a 30-06 cal Rem 750 autoloader and I am in the process of preparing some match quality ammo to see what the rifle is capable of. I went with the Wilson unit. (It arrived in a busted box on Thursday from Midway.) I haven't had the opportunity to use it yet, but examining it gives me the impression that it is simplicity at its finest, and once set it should remain consistent. I should be able to confirm this later this week.

If you decide on this unit, you will need to either have a vice mounted on your bench, or order some other stand for it. I suppose you could drill some mounting holes and attach it either directly to a benchtop or to a moveable 1x4 which could be clamped down. It does not come predrilled for direct mounting.