Off duty carry choice? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Off duty carry choice?

KiloBravo
05-01-2011, 19:12
What are all of LEOs preferred off duty carry weapon is? Also, does your policy mandate off duty carry which and does it mention anything about needing to carry cuffs as well? I personally feel that all good citizens and esp. Officers should be armed at all times.

Hack
05-01-2011, 19:16
What are all of LEOs preferred off duty carry weapon is? Also, does your policy mandate off duty carry which and does it mention anything about needing to carry cuffs as well? I personally feel that all good citizens and esp. Officers should be armed at all times.

Not mandated, the BOP has a guide, but otherwise are staying hands off and allowing us to carry what we want as to concealable handguns. Since we don't do much of anything except in the capacity as a citizen off duty we don't carry 'cuffs, unless it is by our own personal choice. Of course, we carry credentials/employee ID card.

Personally I have preferred the Glock 17 for urban use. If I was out in the country more I would tend towards carrying a Glock 21SF or other good 45.

txleapd
05-01-2011, 19:26
Nothing mandated either way for us... If I have my choice, I prefer to carry my 1911. Sometimes I carry my Kahr K9.

Dragoon44
05-01-2011, 19:29
While I flirted with compact guns as an off duty gun I eventually settled on my duty gun as the ideal off duty gun.

My thinking was essentially this, if today is the day I have to fight for my life off duty, I'd rather be doing it with a full sized gun, one that I have a lot of training with and I am the most familiar with. The thought of having to defend my life with a 5 shot snubby as a primary gun was not at all appealing to me.

I also carried a BUG off duty as well.

I always told my guys carry your duty gun as an off duty gun, carry it on the same side near the same place where your duty gun is carried. more than likely that is where your hand is going under stress anyway. and when the SHTF is not a good time to try and remember where you are carrying your gun today. And carry at least one reload for both your primary and BUG.

But that is just me.

Patchman
05-01-2011, 19:33
Carried the Kahr K9 and then the G26 for a while. But returned to the G19. In general, much more shootable than ether. Comfort is secondary. Shootability is key. As that's the reason why I carry a gun-because some day, somewhere, I will need to shoot it, and shoot it true.

Dragoon44
05-01-2011, 19:36
Carried the Kahr K9 and then the G26 for a while. But returned to the G19. In general, much more shootable than ether. Comfort is secondary. Shootability is key. As that's the reason why I carry a gun-because some day, somewhere, I will need to shoot it, and shoot it true.

I thought you carried one because it is legal and therefore always appropriate.

:whistling::rofl:

ar-steve
05-01-2011, 19:36
I carry a Glock22 on duty and a glock 19 off duty. I always carry off duty, but not always the same gun.

I rotate between a g19, g27, g22, and a S&W Jframe( I rarely leave the house with just a J frame)

Narc1911
05-01-2011, 19:39
Our policy is the standard "You are encouraged but not required to carry off duty." Our policy mandates we qualify with any off duty gun every 6 mo if it is not our normal duty gun or backup. We are required to carry our credentials and forbidden to open carry off duty (unless at the range or hunting).

I used to carry a Glock 30 off duty when I was on patrol. My duty gun right now is a Glock 27, which is not my favorite gun, but I have a ton of time behind it and shoot it really well. I wear the same thing at work and off duty. Because of this, and since I am called out so often and drive a takehome rig I carry the Glock 27 off duty.

When I transfer out of narcs next year I will start carrying the Wilson Combat that is being built right now.

mntrpr
05-01-2011, 19:39
M&P 40c, or a Springfield Professional, sometimes supplemented by a ruger LCP.

This recent addition may make it into the rotation

http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/qq330/springfieldpro/IMG_20110430_160526.jpg

Dragoon44
05-01-2011, 19:42
M&P 40c, or a Springfield Professional, sometimes supplemented by a ruger LCP.

This recent addition may make it into the rotation

http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/qq330/springfieldpro/IMG_20110430_160526.jpg

Thats a cute gun whats it gonna be when it grows up?

:tongueout::rofl:

collim1
05-01-2011, 19:46
I am issued a P226 and mandated to carry that on duty. I can carry what I want for a BUG/off-duty as long as its approved and I qualify with it annualy.

In the winter I carry the P226 OWB with a spare mag

Cooler months (or summer months when I will be mostly inside) I carry a G26 OWB with a spare mag

Summer months I carry a 442 .38 jframe either OWB or in a pocket holster. I carry a speed strip for a reload in my opposite pocket. Summers down here are brutal, I am willing to downsize my carry gun in the name of comfort.

I am required by directives to carry off duty inside the jurisdiction. I personally carry 24/7 no matter where I am.

I do not carry handcuffs off-duty though. A gun and reload is enough for me. I am not going to say that carrying handcuffs is not a good idea, but I am just not willing to do it.

mntrpr
05-01-2011, 20:02

Actually, it is old, and is shrinking....:whistling:

:wavey:

boomhower
05-01-2011, 21:41
No requirement to carry off duty, most don't. You can carry whatever you want but have to qualify it. I tried carrying a 27 but never shot it well. Changed to a P239 which I love.

Denikes
05-01-2011, 22:34
Glock 33 and/or S&W 442. IWB or ankle for J frame. Caliber and action are mandated by policy. Nothing over .40 or under .380 (in power). No SAO. Cannot carry duty weapon out of state.

Ajon412
05-01-2011, 22:36
+1 for a full size Glock (duty) or its compact/subcompact brother. A G22, 23 or 27 depending on the climate. A BUG for off duty,usually a 5 shot revolver in .38 or .44 Special in a pocket holster, has become my standard with at least 1-2 reloads for each, depending on the weapon system.

DaBigBR
05-01-2011, 23:09
Not mandated by the department, however for the purposes of firearms carrying, the definition of "on duty" (and therefore required to carry) includes things like training and court.

Typical carry is a G19, G30, or BHP backed up by an LCP or 642. Very, very, very, very seldom less than one gun, equally rarely no reload at least for the primary. NEVER one gun and no reload. Pair of Tuff-Ties in a pocket for restraints (occasionally cuffs if I'm going anywhere work related).

jcsd2407
05-01-2011, 23:15
I carry a G22 on duty so for me the G27 is my ideal BUG and off-duty companion. Off duty carry is encouraged, but as has been said before the gun and a reload are enough, trying to conceal a set of handcuffs would be pushing it for me.

Vigilant
05-01-2011, 23:21
If S&W ever makes a 9MM "bodyguard" type single stack sub-compact, I suspect it will have quite a following. Especially if the action resembles that of the full-size M&P series.

For now, I say, the Kahr P9 is well worth a look.

budspolicesupply.com

Jeffbat83
05-01-2011, 23:26
Carry a G17 with a 26 on duty, off duty it's either the 26 or 39.

Off duty carry is limited to pistols made by Glock, in .9,.40,.45,.45gap

NMPOPS
05-02-2011, 03:41
I'm retired now but in my old department we were only mandated to carry off duty to court and if driving a department vehicle (we have take home units). We had/have a wide range of choices for off duty basically at least 9mm/.38 spec. or larger.

4949shooter
05-02-2011, 04:06
Mandatedto carry by my agency.

The baby Glocks are popular with the troops. I carried my issued P7M8 for years as a duty/off duty gun. If I still had it today I would still carry it off duty.

4949shooter
05-02-2011, 04:07
Oops double tap.

cowboywannabe
05-02-2011, 05:26
i carry my duty gun because if i (God forbid) had to use it to defend myself, id much rather the dept's gun sit in an evidence locker for a year or more than my own gun.

Bruce M
05-05-2011, 17:26
Glock 26 except this time of the year when its my Whitworth .375 H&H. It is marginal this time of the year for chupacabra mating season but, alas, I cannot afford a double rifle in 470NE.

Sharky7
05-05-2011, 17:33
Glock 26 or Kahr PM9. I carry a spare magazine more and more often lately.

I would like to carry my Glock 21 duty gun, but it's just not really do-able for me. I would be wearing a Hawaiin shirt or Moo-moo's all the time to cover it up.

In my opinion, it's important to find something that is reliable concealable, dependable, and can get the job done. Too may guys at my agency get caught up on having to have a large gun.....But in reality NONE of those guys carry off duty. My Glock 26 does much better for me on my person off duty than your Glock 21 in your duty locker.

MI_Packer
05-05-2011, 17:36
The cops I shoot with carry Diamondback 380s all the way upto Nighthawk fullsize 1911s. I carry a S&W M&P 340 the most, Diamondback 380 then a Glock 27. There are few others I carry, but not as regular (FH FNX9, Colt Gov 380, Sig 226, S&W 19)

Chowser
05-05-2011, 17:52
Encouraged to carry off-duty. Just need to have ID on you. No requirements to carry cuffs. Policy states off-duty/back-up must be 9mm, .40S&W, .45ACP or .357SIG. No single-action only.

The department allows us to purchase one handgun on uniform allowance, so there is no excuse for our guys not to have one.

I carry a Glock 33 daily. Usually with a 15-rd mag as my reload. Duty weapon is Glock 31.

rookie1
05-05-2011, 19:34
I carry a G26 and added a +2 on the mag that added little finger support, fits like a glove. Department says it has to have a 6 round minimum, Barrel length: not less than 3 inches and not more than 6 inches, .380 or bigger, 45 or smaller, All on-duty sworn personnel, whether in uniform or non-uniform, shall be armed with a departmentally issued duty handgun. The carrying of a handgun while off-duty shall be at the discretion of the officer. If the officer elects to carry a Department approved handgun offduty, it shall be concealed from public view.

This was some highlights from the policy. Copied and pasted.

Mark9Fogger
05-05-2011, 21:17
Not mandated by my dept (state corrections), but most of my co-worker buddies of mine carry off-duty. I carry a G23 with a 15-round spare mag virtually all the time. I just started carrying tuff ties as a compromise between lugging around real cuffs and none at all.

FM12
05-05-2011, 21:38
I've reverted to Dragoon's theory and practice, and mostly carry my Sig 220/45acp both as a duty weapon and off duty also. Just something comforting about it I guess.

How about it Drag, great minds thinking alike perhaps?

Dragoon44
05-05-2011, 21:46
I've reverted to Dragoon's theory and practice, and mostly carry my Sig 220/45acp both as a duty weapon and off duty also. Just something comforting about it I guess.

How about it Drag, great minds thinking alike perhaps?

:supergrin::thumbsup:

Gear
05-05-2011, 22:19
My carry choice as a C/O having no off duty authority is a Glock 32. 13 +1 in the gun and a spare 13 rounder. I'm currently working on getting a spare mag with more capacity. :supergrin: And put all those in a Galco King Tuk IWB and Safariland OWB Single Magazine pouch.

nitesite10mm
05-06-2011, 07:37
I vary off-duty among four:

A G29 in a Safariland 6378
My duty G22 in a Safariland 6378 or a Kolbeson IWB
A 5" Gov't .45 in a John O'Rourke pancake
G34 in a Chris Stewart kydex

Also try to take along a 442 or 709 when I can accomodate it.

nitesite10mm
05-06-2011, 08:03
Policy states off-duty/back-up must be 9mm, .40S&W, .45ACP or .357SIG.

Wow, no allowance for any revolver? How interesting.

Aries4570
05-06-2011, 09:37
While I flirted with compact guns as an off duty gun I eventually settled on my duty gun as the ideal off duty gun.

My thinking was essentially this, if today is the day I have to fight for my life off duty, I'd rather be doing it with a full sized gun, one that I have a lot of training with and I am the most familiar with. The thought of having to defend my life with a 5 shot snubby as a primary gun was not at all appealing to me.

I also carried a BUG off duty as well.

I always told my guys carry your duty gun as an off duty gun, carry it on the same side near the same place where your duty gun is carried. more than likely that is where your hand is going under stress anyway. and when the SHTF is not a good time to try and remember where you are carrying your gun today. And carry at least one reload for both your primary and BUG.

But that is just me.

X2 I carry my G22 W/TRL 1 IWB everyday. You just have to dress around it and get a good belt/holster combination. I use a Uncle Mikes pocket holster to carry a spare magazine and my Leatherman Juice.

Our department requires you qualify with any gun you want to carry off duty, so my last trip to qualifications included my OD G35 w/ M3X light.

RVER
05-06-2011, 15:57
Kahr PM9 in a Galco pocket holster get's the most OD use.

Narkcop
05-06-2011, 16:05
Ruger LCP for bug and Wally World duty.

Arvinator
05-06-2011, 17:37
I ALWAYS have a J frame .38 snubbie in my pocket and I have multiple handguns and a pair of shotguns stashed "Out of sight but in my mind" thru the house (No children anymore). When we leave the guns, the guns go in the safe.
On body carry off duty is most often my Glock 19 loaded with Cor-Bon DPX and one spare mag backed by a J frame and speed strip. I sometimes carry a Sig P-229 in .40 or a Glock model 23.
My dept. issues a Glock Model 22 and a Model 27 to each officer for duty/off duty use. I just like the 19/23 size for concealment.

JoeDanger
05-06-2011, 18:47
Our policy is pretty general. The gun must be of "quality manufacture" and approved by the range staff, and must be of at least .38 caliber.

I carry a Nighthawk GRP with Insight Procyon on duty. This setup is just too large for me to conceal on my thin frame without wearing very baggy clothing. I normally carry a Springfield Micro Compact off duty, but sometimes I carry my Glock 27 that normally serves as my on-duty BUG.

Ajon412
05-06-2011, 20:50
Our policy is pretty general. The gun must be of "quality manufacture" and approved by the range staff, and must be of at least .38 caliber.

I carry a Nighthawk GRP with Insight Procyon on duty. This setup is just too large for me to conceal on my thin frame without wearing very baggy clothing. I normally carry a Springfield Micro Compact off duty, but sometimes I carry my Glock 27 that normally serves as my on-duty BUG.

Same here..... .380 to .45, with S/A semi's just approved for OD use. There are a few here who are just die hard .45 fans. My thing is if they're proficient, comfortable with the weapon system and can qualify, then so be it.....

Dragoon44
05-06-2011, 21:36
But all this does not deal with the core question.

WHY DO YOU CARRY OFF DUTY?

My answer,

Because a CCW'er is to heavy to carry.

"Remember, When seconds count, armed citizens are only moments away from getting the hell away from there."

" The supreme court says that armed citizens have no duty to protect off duty police officers."

:supergrin::whistling:

RedRyder21
05-07-2011, 04:43
We are mandated for an off duty, to carry .40S&W and department ammo. This is fine since I like .40S&W.

I carry a Glock 23 off duty. It gets heavy and prints sometimes. I have a Glock 27 I love and carry it off duty occasionally, but no matter how well I shoot it I don't have the same peace of mind I have with my Glock 23.

Cav
05-07-2011, 07:34
On duty it is the Department issued Glock 40's (22/23's). You can carry a BUG as well.

Off duty carry is not mandated per say, but our general orders say that when feasable officers "will be armed when in the city", and should secure their firearms in a vehicle when they have more than a few drinks or are doing activitys that make carry an issue. We are told to carry state wide.

Other than the duty gun, any other firearm is to be .380 or larger and should be qualified with and serial number recorded.

Most of us carry .380's to 9MM/.357's that we use off duty. The general orders are a guide, and if you need to use your gun, you will get in more trouble for not being armed than not having a gun on record if off duty. On duty BUG's need to be on record.

S. Kelly
05-07-2011, 09:18
Nothing specific mandated, but I carry any one of a few Glocks (G19 mostly, followed by a G26/G30/G23). I have also been carrying an M&P45/45c lately, just because.

G27Chief
05-07-2011, 17:12

:rofl::rofl: dangit, now my sides hurt!

G27Chief
05-07-2011, 17:24
Glock 27 again .... I have switched to with others, but the 27 with the GAP floor plate suits my needs, and I shoot it well on the POST qualification course. I like the 180gr. Speer Gold Dot, and my 27 has the XS big dot sight. I like the 27 and always have, a 23 mag or 22 mag for spare and I feel good. I have carried others including my Glock 23, but it is rare and usually in the winter.

MeefZah
05-07-2011, 18:06
G26 in a Kramer MSP Paddle, spare G19 mag in a Fobus single mag paddle, and /or Smith 442 in a RKBA pocket holster with one speedloader in the strong side front pocket.

The 26 I wear if I am planning on going out, the Smith I just toss in my pocket for errands, working in the garage, and such.

Goldstar225
05-07-2011, 18:33
With my agency off-duty carry is at the officer discretion but they must be qualified with the weapon. Me? I'm always armed. My #1 off-duty weapon now is a Kahr K40 though sometime my S&W 642 goes in my pocket when I go get that gallon of milk.

Bruce M
05-07-2011, 19:19

My answer,

"Remember, When seconds count, armed citizens are only moments away from getting the hell away from there."

" The supreme court says that armed citizens have no duty to protect off duty police officers."

:rofl::rofl:

KiloBravo
05-08-2011, 07:06
Thanks to everybody who has responded. There are very interesting department policies out there. I myself am just a civilian at this time. However, I am fighting through the process currently to join the State Police. I carry all day every day now. That would remain the case if/when I become a LEO. I am surprised more departments don't require their officers to carry on their down time.

Sharky7
05-08-2011, 07:08

My answer,

:rofl:

Sharky7
05-08-2011, 07:10
Thanks to everybody who has responded. There are very interesting department policies out there. I myself am just a civilian at this time. However, I am fighting through the process currently to join the State Police. I carry all day every day now. That would remain the case if/when I become a LEO. I am surprised more departments don't require their officers to carry on their down time.

Gone are the days when policies and procedures are set because it's the right decision. Liability and risk management are now the focus.

KiloBravo
05-08-2011, 07:15
Gone are the days when policies and procedures are set because it's the right decision. Liability and risk management are now the focus.

That is sad for sure. I would think people would want the highest number of trained and armed people on the streets as much as possible. I personally cannot image having to go unarmed, but more esp. As an officer. That is not a career where you make lots of friends.

NyGlockcop
05-10-2011, 11:15
I carry my Baby Glock 27 when and where I can, and if I cant conceal that off duty then I carry my Ruger LCP 380, which there is no reason whatsoever to not have on my as it can be concealed anywhere. My agency years ago mandated off duty carry, now very few actually carry off duty, very sad.

glockurai
05-10-2011, 11:27
Not mandated, but encouraged. Usually a G19 or kahr pm9.

CJStudent
05-10-2011, 11:45
Not allowed to carry off-duty on my badge/ID (state corrections), but do on a CCDW. I usually have either a Glock 23 or a Taurus 85, with at least one reload (two for the Taurus).

OverToad
05-10-2011, 12:33
G35 on-duty. Glock 29 off duty and during summer here in TX, I carry a S&W 649.

golls17
05-10-2011, 13:03
I find out this week if my agency will let me carry my G27 off duty (I'd be surprised if I couldn't).

fastbolt
05-10-2011, 13:49
What are all of LEOs preferred off duty carry weapon is? Who knows? Of the more than 17K state & local agencies in this country, I'm sure the variance would be interesting and sometimes even a bit unusual.

Also, does your policy mandate off duty carry which and does it mention anything about needing to carry cuffs as well? Nothing specifically stated about cuffs. Invoking peace officer status and taking action off-duty is covered by reasonable and prudent policies, which is pretty common.

I personally feel that all good citizens and esp. Officers should be armed at all times. Personal feelings can distract from the actual realities of life. Not everyone does, or should, see things quite the same as everyone else. I've known quite a number of folks who have CCW licenses, very few of whom claimed to actually carry their weapon(s) with any regularity. While I've seen a small increase in the number of LE folks I personally know who are armed on their own time, it's still not exactly what I'd call a significant majority. The last time I attended a well known speaker's seminar which discussed off-duty LE and being armed, it was mentioned that some statistics have indicated that no more than 20% of active LE choose to carry weapons off-duty.

Aside from the comments inserted regarding the questions contained in the original post, I'd offer some additional thoughts ...

Being known as a "gun nut" throughout most of my career (and having been a firearms instructor for over 20 years), I still didn't carry weapons 100% of the time when off-duty. My choice not to carry an off-duty weapon would generally be predicated upon my anticipated activities and sometimes the specific location involved. Sometimes I just didn't feel it either necessary or practical.

My choices in off-duty weapons included a fairly broad range of handguns over the years. Always within policy, but sometimes, in retrospect, probably not as practical or as desirable as I might have otherwise chosen. Like .22's to .44 Magnums ... DA revolvers to SA revolvers ...pistols of all different designs ... large & heavy to small & light ... etc.

Nothing wrong with choosing a "full-size" handgun as an off-duty weapon. Many folks would probably be better off doing so, and others just find it handy and convenient. Limited training & practice would seem to make it a potentially 'better' choice in some situations.

There were any number of years when my issued duty weapons, whether revolver or pistol, also served as my frequent off-duty choices, but the age of smaller & lighter platforms in the major defensive calibers made some of the smaller choices attractive as the years progressed.

Having been a long time revolver shooter, I found smaller .38 revolvers of good quality to be preferable to smaller caliber pistols, and eventually set the .38 Spl & 9mm as my 'baseline' defensive calibers, with a number of my .45 ACP, .40 S&W and .357 Magnum guns being set aside as occasional, optional calibers & guns.

I won't willingly choose to carry a weapon which I can't shoot well under any number of qual courses-of-fire or training/practice drills, though, so that requires a lot of range & trigger time on my part. When the time comes that I'm no longer keeping my hand in things as an instructor & armorer, and I'm spending less time on the range, I'll probably reduce the number/type of handguns chosen to serve as retirement weapons.

I generally don't get too involved in making recommendations to our folks when it comes to selecting an off-duty weapon. My likes & dislikes are my own and I don't try to put them off on other folks. Just having decided to carry one is a big enough step for many of them. I'll help them consider their relative merits compared against their desires, training & experience, as well as offer them the chance to try many of those I own, or which may be owned by one or another of the other instructors ... but the choice is theirs (within reason, regarding available designs which are authorized, of course).

CBennett
05-10-2011, 16:38
Ruger SR9c for now..would also like a RIA 1911 3.5 or4".

jcsd2407
05-10-2011, 17:29
I carry a G26 and added a +2 on the mag that added little finger support, fits like a glove. Department says it has to have a 6 round minimum, Barrel length: not less than 3 inches and not more than 6 inches, .380 or bigger, 45 or smaller, All on-duty sworn personnel, whether in uniform or non-uniform, shall be armed with a departmentally issued duty handgun. The carrying of a handgun while off-duty shall be at the discretion of the officer. If the officer elects to carry a Department approved handgun offduty, it shall be concealed from public view.

This was some highlights from the policy. Copied and pasted.

Yeah, this pretty much sums up our policy too.

Bullman
05-10-2011, 17:33
I just got myself a crossbreed supertuck today, so my G23 or 27 will be the flavor of choice.

CarloTwoGuns
05-10-2011, 19:11
Glock 26