Old school snubbie [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Old school snubbie

JTipper.45
05-01-2011, 23:11
Well, while doing a little cleaning in my late step-fathers old shop I came across a little something.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj143/JTipper/IMG00390.jpg

It's a late 70s Colt Detective Special. I was told by my mother that its was my step-fathers boot gun when he worked for the PD back in the 80s. It's not really in too bad a shape except for the blueing, you can tell it was carried alot. Surface rust only, no pitting, lots of dust from where it had been "put away" but original grips had been damaged and you can see where someone had wood glued them back together. I took it home and after an hour or so it cleaned up pretty decent. Now my dillema. I dont know If I want to spend the bucks to send it back to Colt for reblueing, locate some original type grips and pack it in the safe, or have it reblued, replace the grips with a set of Badger boot grips and get a good ankle holster and carry on the tradition. Gimme some advise everyone! I'm kinda stuck here!

DaBigBR
05-01-2011, 23:14
They're sweet guns. I have a vintage DS-III myself, but in polished stainless. Like all Colt revolvers, they need to be maintained and that might include inspection and repair by somebody that knows how to work on them.

janice6
05-01-2011, 23:17
Frame it and hang it as a memorial.... It's character.

S. Kelly
05-05-2011, 15:28
Leave it as is and remember, it's earned all that wear. It gives it character.

Bruce M
05-05-2011, 17:19
Very nice. I would clean it up but not refinish it.

JTipper.45
05-05-2011, 17:58
OK, ok....so far the concensus is for cleaning her up and packing it. So, far be it for me to buck the system! I took it to the local wheelgun guru. He checked her over and everything looks good. No end shake and timing was good, trigger sound. The boogered up grips were kickin the hell out of my OCD so I scrounged through all the local pawn shops lookin for grips. All I could find was a set of Pachmayr Sig Grippers, and I found these in an old shop with alot of old police gear from the 80s. Would have loved to have found a set of Compacs but these will do until I can afford a set of Badgers.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj143/JTipper/IMG00401.jpg

Now the other question.....holster. Pancake, Scabbard, IWB ?

BULLRUNN
05-07-2011, 15:31
Clean it function test it but do not REFINISH IT... it is dripping history... leave it alone...

JTipper.45
05-09-2011, 15:38
The plan now is to leave it as is. I've been digging on the internet and found a few holsters that look good. If I start carrying it as a BUG I was looking at a vest holster.

This one is by Rusty Sherrick,

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj143/JTipper/Holster.jpg

Kadetklapp
05-11-2011, 07:38
OK, ok....so far the concensus is for cleaning her up and packing it. So, far be it for me to buck the system! I took it to the local wheelgun guru. He checked her over and everything looks good. No end shake and timing was good, trigger sound. The boogered up grips were kickin the hell out of my OCD so I scrounged through all the local pawn shops lookin for grips. All I could find was a set of Pachmayr Sig Grippers, and I found these in an old shop with alot of old police gear from the 80s. Would have loved to have found a set of Compacs but these will do until I can afford a set of Badgers.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj143/JTipper/IMG00401.jpg

Now the other question.....holster. Pancake, Scabbard, IWB ?

I LOVE the grips. Love love love those Pachmayrs.

Also, and this is just me, but I wouldn't spend a whole crap ton of money on a complicated vest rig. Uncle Mikes IWB holster inside the left straps of the vest works perfectly for me.

CJStudent
05-11-2011, 11:22
I LOVE the grips. Love love love those Pachmayrs.

Also, and this is just me, but I wouldn't spend a whole crap ton of money on a complicated vest rig. Uncle Mikes IWB holster inside the left straps of the vest works perfectly for me.

5.11 BBS holster worked very well for vest carry for me. $10 or so, IIRC.

Ajon412
05-11-2011, 11:42
If you have a belly band laying around, you could wear that up around your chest and carry your BUG in a shoulder holster/cross draw configuration....:wavey: I believe Pachmayr has a "Compac" grip for those as well.

Joshhtn
05-11-2011, 12:03
Good choice on lettin her be... I love character in an old gun like that!

JTipper.45
05-11-2011, 16:29
5.11 BBS holster worked very well for vest carry for me. $10 or so, IIRC.

I have one of those around here somewhere still in the BBS kit bag....I just cant find the dang thing!

And I'm still on the lookout for some compac grips. I hope to get to the range soon and put a few rounds through her.