Prep for the academy [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Prep for the academy

Huber
05-05-2011, 15:45
I hope this is ok to post here.

I am going to be attending my local police academy in Jan and I need to start training to get in better shape.

Background I am currently 245 and don't have issues with losing weight when I diet and exercise. About 16 months ago we had my little girl and I just haven't cared so that's why I am so high. Before she was born I was training/fighting MMA and was at 195 walk around.

Anyways I am curious if there are any programs you guys would recommend????

I have done some google searches and tried on here but had no results no sure if its because of the forums being done.

Appreciate any info!

Patchman
05-05-2011, 16:45
When I was getting ready for the academy, what I did was eat very carefully and jogged/ran/walked. Cardio is the most important.

collim1
05-05-2011, 17:13
The academy is not too physically demanding, there is way too much classroom time needed to focus on PT. We did PT for an hour every morning, then 10mins or so throughout the day during class breaks.

Cut out alcohol, caffeine, and tobacco for sure. Pushups and jogging are the most important. You need to be able to do 50 pushups at a time and jog two miles in under 16mins when you get there.

If you can do that you will have no problem, and you will get in shape as you go along.

From now on until the academy starts jog two miles 5 days a week. Do as many pushups as you can at one time atleast three times a day. If you have the time crunches and leg lifts will also (my academy really focused on core strength). The core strength will help prevent back problems from the Sam Browne and long hours seated in a car.

collim1
05-05-2011, 17:21
Just looked back and realized you are starting in January, that is plenty of time to get in real good shape. You should have no problem.

The farthest we ran at one time in the academy was 4 miles. The instructors really respected the guys in our class who led the way on the on our runs in the morning.

Since you have that much time I would really start a routine at the gym and cardio training every week. Make sure it is something you can stick with long term. Still focus on pushups, core, and jogging though.

The better shape you are in when you start, the better you will transition to the long hours and wearing 30lbs worth of gear (My hips, butt, waist, and back really hurt the first few weeks I worked in LE).

My first post was the crash course get ready for the academy. You got time, take advantage of it.

Huber
05-05-2011, 17:42
Thanks for the advice so far guys. I want to start a routine but don't know where to start.

I know I have heard our academy once you get in isn't as strict with PT's like you hardly do it. But I want to be in shape and take it serious!

I know to pass PT's to get in you have to do the follow:

1.5 Mile Run
12:18
Trunk Flex
17.5 inches
Sit-ups
Push-ups

Chowser
05-05-2011, 17:56
Whatever you need to do to pass the physical, I would train to pass it with at least a 20% better margin. This way, on test day, you know you can do it already and have time to spare. I know when I had to do it, the mile and a half run was to be done in 11:30. So I trained for it and had my times under 11 minutes so when the time came, I had no trouble with it.

Huber
05-05-2011, 18:19
Whatever you need to do to pass the physical, I would train to pass it with at least a 20% better margin. This way, on test day, you know you can do it already and have time to spare. I know when I had to do it, the mile and a half run was to be done in 11:30. So I trained for it and had my times under 11 minutes so when the time came, I had no trouble with it.

That's great advice and actually what I planned on doing. At one time I could run a mile in little under 10 mins and that was only running a mile 3 days a week. I think increasing to 5 days and I have untill Sep to be able to do it I should be fine

freeride88
05-05-2011, 19:32
Beat the HECK out of those standards in training and be confident you can do it on testing day.

Newcop761
05-05-2011, 21:33
If you have until September get started on LAPD's 4 month academy prep.

http://per.lacity.org/psb/lapd_tips.htm

Huber
05-06-2011, 09:08
If you have until September get started on LAPD's 4 month academy prep.

http://per.lacity.org/psb/lapd_tips.htm

Thanks for that! I like it and I think I am going to use that with a few other things in the mix. Gonna be starting the atkins diet too here soon

trifecta
05-06-2011, 09:33
Thanks for that! I like it and I think I am going to use that with a few other things in the mix. Gonna be starting the atkins diet too here soon

You may find your energy level a little low for a serious workout regimen while on Atkins.

Huber
05-06-2011, 10:15
You may find your energy level a little low for a serious workout regimen while on Atkins.

Ya it may be a bit low but I will push cause the Atkins just seems to perfect for me and how I like to eat lol

lawman800
05-06-2011, 13:35
I didn't do jack to get ready for the academy... except I think I cut back on smoking a bit... not quit, but just cut back on the amount.

Huber
05-06-2011, 13:55
I didn't do jack to get ready for the academy... except I think I cut back on smoking a bit... not quit, but just cut back on the amount.

Well I don't have that option since I am not in physical shape

lawman800
05-06-2011, 14:05
Well I don't have that option since I am not in physical shape

Yeah, it was a different time. I was 23, skinny, not in shape but not out of shape so my body was tractable enough to handle it.

Huber
05-06-2011, 14:09
Yeah, it was a different time. I was 23, skinny, not in shape but not out of shape so my body was tractable enough to handle it.

Gottcha! How long have you been an officer?

lawman800
05-06-2011, 14:20
I actually did the Atkins for a while and I lost 27 pounds in two months. It was crazy fast how it worked once your body kicks into ketosis.

I went into the academy in 1994 and got sworn in 1995. Things sure have changed though, and I really try to hold on to even some of the things I knew but that's nothing compared to some of these guys who have way more years than me.

kueblerkt
05-16-2011, 09:27
Try http://www.crossfit.com/

We had to do workouts from this site two or three times a week during our academy. They suck, but a 20 minute workout from here will make you feel like you've been working for two hours. Really helps with endurance. They have a daily workout that you can try, adjust to your strength level.

msu_grad_121
05-16-2011, 23:02
If at all possible, talk to the head of your target academy's PT program. Generally speaking, they want to see you succeed, and they'll be able to tell you what to focus on. For instance, I went into the academy having focused on lifting big weight, and was shocked when all we did was body weight endurance type exercises (push-ups, dips, burpees vs. bench press, leg press, etc.). I got through, but it was a rude awakening.

The point is, get your info straight from the source, that'd be my advice. Of course, none of the advice given here is bad, either.

Sniff
05-16-2011, 23:38

We had 10:15 for the 2.4km (1.5 mile) run. And that is a RUN! Not a jog.

It didn't matter if you were 24 or 42. Males had 10:15 and females 11:15.

ArmaGlock
05-16-2011, 23:43
Crossfit

x_out86
05-16-2011, 23:47
P90X Baby!! I dropped 26 pounds and not even sure how much body fat %.

http://i2.squidoocdn.com/resize/squidoo_images/250/draft_lens11029351module101367831photo_1274225555Tony_Horton_P90X_Bring_It

Then when P90X2 come out this year, you can keep right on going!!

lawman800
05-16-2011, 23:52
Dude, my friends tried P90x. One guy got all the way to P1x and gave up. The other guy didn't even start it at all before he said screw it.

x_out86
05-17-2011, 00:07
Dude, my friends tried P90x. One guy got all the way to P1x and gave up. The other guy didn't even start it at all before he said screw it.
Its not for the faint of heart....not something that you can casually do. Its either 100% or you will be done by day 4.

msu_grad_121
05-17-2011, 01:08
Seconded on the P90X thing! That stuff is killer!

Heck, even their yoga program is kind of a bear! :rofl:

blk69stang
05-17-2011, 02:16
Learn to chew tobacco. You'll get more respect the bigger the dip you can pack.

Goldendog Redux
05-17-2011, 02:23
Try http://www.crossfit.com/

We had to do workouts from this site two or three times a week during our academy. They suck, but a 20 minute workout from here will make you feel like you've been working for two hours. Really helps with endurance. They have a daily workout that you can try, adjust to your strength level.

Crossfit WILL get you were you need to be. You MUST control your diet. No Carbs, no sugar. Go to the Crossfit site and look under affiliates to find a gym near you or just follow the workouts posted on the mainpage. I guess P90x would work, I have no experience with that.

Whatever you do, you know what you need to do and you know if you are ready. Don't kid yourself about your abilities and weight issues. Do the hard work now so the PT part of your academy is a welcome break for all of the complete BS you will be subjected to. You do not want to be the fat-body always bringing up the rear stressing more about the next 10 mile run than an upcoming exam or stupid shiny boots.

Furthermore, the fat asses at the academy will continue to be fatasses after the academy. Think fitness for life and not just 16 or 26 or however many weeks the academy is.

Have fun,

MF