HST cavity shiny?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : HST cavity shiny??

outdoorsman44
05-05-2011, 19:14
Hey everyone,

I bought a case of 180gr HST (P40HST1), and I was looking them over and when I looked into the hollowpoint cavities, some had like a shiny cavity instead of the dark grey that they normally are. Has anoyone seen this before, and will it effect it's effectiveness?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Outdoorsman44

outdoorsman44
05-06-2011, 02:52
C'mon guys, no one has some boxes of HST to look at for me?

awoodpd13
05-06-2011, 06:15
If I'm correctly envisioning what you're describing, then I have not seen it...can you post pics???:dunno::dunno:

dkf
05-06-2011, 07:33
My guess is you got some ammo straight from the factory. The lead didn't corrode on the surface. Just like when I cast lead, shiny and purty for a little while after casting but exposed to the air, moisture and etc over time it starts the corrosion process.

outdoorsman44
05-06-2011, 16:37
My guess is you got some ammo straight from the factory. The lead didn't corrode on the surface. Just like when I cast lead, shiny and purty for a little while after casting but exposed to the air, moisture and etc over time it starts the corrosion process.

Ya, that's what I was told. Once they oxidize a for a while, then they will turn more of a dull color.

PghJim
05-07-2011, 02:10
I was just looking at my 155gr HST's and they are not shiny. I have found that a Q-tip and some Flitz can get them looking back to factory new in no time.

I just think you got a box that has not set around very long, I have seen it before.

outdoorsman44
05-08-2011, 03:08
I was just looking at my 155gr HST's and they are not shiny. I have found that a Q-tip and some Flitz can get them looking back to factory new in no time.

I just think you got a box that has not set around very long, I have seen it before.
If you put a Q-tip and some Flitz into the lead cavity it will make the dull color go to shiny? That's funny.

I agree, I think I just got some that are fairly new.

dkf
05-08-2011, 10:47
If you put a Q-tip and some Flitz into the lead cavity it will make the dull color go to shiny?

Any metal polish and some elbow grease. It will polish away the oxidation on the surface and leave you very shiny lead.

PghJim
05-08-2011, 14:24
Any metal polish and some elbow grease. It will polish away the oxidation on the surface and leave you very shiny lead.

Actually, I was only joking about polishing the hollow point.

Zombie Steve
05-08-2011, 16:13
Thank God.

dkf
05-08-2011, 16:35
Actually, I was only joking about polishing the hollow point.

Don't you want your ammo to look its best?:tongueout:

Actually I polished some old .300savage rounds I had for years that oxidized and greened up with Flitz already. Boy they were purty when I was finsihed.:rofl:

Chuck54
05-08-2011, 18:36
Just put a little garlic in there :rofl: