Question about Magpul.....? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Question about Magpul.....?

stihlhard
05-05-2011, 23:01
Anyone like/dislike the Magpul B.A.D. tactical lever?

WoodenPlank
05-05-2011, 23:20
Have one, use it, love it. Makes reloads and clearance drills MUCH easier and faster, especially in conjunction with a Gunfighter CH.

stihlhard
05-05-2011, 23:22
Do they come as a total replacement though, or just a slip over? I just noticed that?

Wyzard360
05-06-2011, 00:32
Phase 5 Tactical has a total replacement one. I use an older version of the one listed on their website and it works great.

ArmaGlock
05-06-2011, 03:19
Anyone see any issue with using this under stress? Doesn't it require you to manipulate it with your trigger finger inside the trigger guard or close to it?

WayaX
05-06-2011, 06:56
It goes on over the bolt release. You manipulate it outside the trigger guard with the trigger finger using an up/down motion. I really like it. It makes malfunction drills much easier. If you get one, make sure you test it first because there is a known issue with some guns that it will cause the bolt to fail to lock back after the last round (it's the added weight to the lever).

bullittmcqueen
05-06-2011, 07:25
I like mine a lot. You can still release the bolt the old fashioned way with the ping pong paddle, the BAD just makes it easier to "flick" the bolt closed with your trigger finger and also hold the bolt catch when you are trying to rack the CH to open the bolt.

djegators
05-06-2011, 08:06
It goes on over the bolt release. You manipulate it outside the trigger guard with the trigger finger using an up/down motion. I really like it. It makes malfunction drills much easier. If you get one, make sure you test it first because there is a known issue with some guns that it will cause the bolt to fail to lock back after the last round (it's the added weight to the lever).

This sums it up for me. It works about 99% of the time, but it can cause problems, otherwise it is a great idea. For me, I am accustomed to the standard operation of the lever, and prefer that.

fuzzy03cls
05-06-2011, 09:15
I had 3. Took them off & sold them. Not worth it to me. I prefer to retain muscle memory for normal manipulation.
Sure it did make jam clearing better. But my rifles don't jam. I'm not in any field where I would need to clear jams faster. The bolt locking back was random. Most of the time it was ok, but it failed on occasion.

Nakanokalronin
05-06-2011, 10:26
Seems like a nice add-on but I would rather manipulate every AR weather its mine or any other AR in the same manner

mixflip
05-06-2011, 10:50
I like the look of the Troy version personally. They all work and thats what really matters in the end.

BBJones
05-06-2011, 11:45
I had 3. Took them off & sold them. Not worth it to me. I prefer to retain muscle memory for normal manipulation.
Sure it did make jam clearing better. But my rifles don't jam. I'm not in any field where I would need to clear jams faster. The bolt locking back was random. Most of the time it was ok, but it failed on occasion.

If you have never had a malfunction with your rifles, you have not fired them very much.

surf
05-06-2011, 12:06
I like them. I will vet them on every single rifle I run them on however and they must run 100% on that rifle. I also really like them not for just malfunction clearances, but reloads are faster / more efficient, but where it also really shines for me is for left handed manipulations also.

fuzzy03cls
05-06-2011, 13:05
If you have never had a malfunction with your rifles, you have not fired them very much.
No I just have stuff that works. :crying::crying:
I did not say never, U did.

BBJones
05-06-2011, 14:15

"(Your) rifles don't jam" except for the times they do. Got it. I wonder why I thought you were implying that you don't have any malfunctions.

bullittmcqueen
05-06-2011, 14:55

Obviously you've never run a class or comp. No gun runs 100% of the time. And if you don't practice malf clearance well then that's your bad.

WoodenPlank
05-06-2011, 15:57
Do they come as a total replacement though, or just a slip over? I just noticed that?

Its a two piece unit that is held on with a Torx screw.

micdude
05-06-2011, 17:18
So is this an go or a no go I have been debating on buying one?

BBJones
05-06-2011, 18:00
They are $25 so not much of a risk. If you mount it and hate it you can easily sell it for $20. As some one who tries to make their AR as ambi as possible I really like them (although I am currently running the Troy version). There are other makers too that have single piece designs (as mentioned before Phase 5).

fuzzy03cls
05-06-2011, 18:44
Obviously you've never run a class or comp. No gun runs 100% of the time. And if you don't practice malf clearance well then that's your bad.
Yeah I have actually.. My AR does not jam to the point of needing this added device to help clear them. That's the point I'm making.

iLift45's
05-06-2011, 20:45
Just put one on my RRA. Love the way it works. Magpul makes top of the line stuff!

WoodenPlank
05-06-2011, 21:33
Yeah I have actually.. My AR does not jam to the point of needing this added device to help clear them. That's the point I'm making.

If you aren't training for failures until fixing them is nearly automatic - and second nature - you have wasted much of your class time. All it takes is one visit from Murphy at the wrong time, and you are ****ed.

Mayhem like Me
05-06-2011, 21:39
Have one on my SBR still training with it, I like it, has been very stable so far.

momoshooter
08-19-2013, 18:29
Old thread but I'm wondering if anybody knows the scoop on these "Battery Assist Devices"

I bought a Magpul one years ago.
Now I was reading about one by Phase 5 tactical, looks lighter, machined out more areas, etc.. then someone in this thread mentioned one by Troy.

I don't remember all these when I bought the Magpul one.

Did Magpul license this design or patent, on their concept rather to these other companies?

I did some google searching, not pulling anything up yet.

Just wondering if anybody knows the exact story, or knows/finds a link talking about this.

Much appreciated if you chime in, or drop a link here in this thread.

dkf
08-19-2013, 19:06
I got a Tactical Link lever on order. Supposed to be more solid than other designs because it uses 3 screws to secure it. I will give one a shot and see if I like it.

Krigloch
08-19-2013, 19:13
Wondering why Magpul doesnt make an ambi mag release...

WoodenPlank
08-19-2013, 19:21
Wondering why Magpul doesnt make an ambi mag release...

They do... Kinda (http://blogs.militarytimes.com/gearscout/2012/06/10/noveske-sts-60-degree-selector/).

TangoFoxtrot
08-20-2013, 08:39
Love it! Wish i had one when i was in the army....goes great with the gf charging handle.

Sent from my H866C using Ohub Campfire mobile app

samuse
08-21-2013, 21:41
I hate 'em and I'd never allow that junk near my AR.

Train to use the bolt release/catch like it is and you won't need any frilly gay accessories that give your lower receiver a reach around.

momoshooter
08-21-2013, 22:53

Train to use the bolt release/catch like it is and you won't need any frilly gay accessories that give your lower receiver a reach around.

>>I hate 'em and I'd never allow that junk near my AR.<<

REALLY?

Are you (pH)uuc*(King) serious? Hate them?

I hope you are talking about just the lever and not the company?

But even to say the lever is junk, is just the comment
of someone that sounds like a hater.

Did magpul forget to give wittle wobbie his MFG rebate?

You sound like one of my B*iaT(CH), GFs that I scorned.

Funny how that so called junk got copied by Phase 5 and a few others.... they improved upon it for sure. But
give some respect.

Comments like this make me wanna punch P.A.B.s in the face.

og23
08-22-2013, 00:10
Makes reloading faster IMHO.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

DaleGribble
08-22-2013, 05:12

Jesus dude, your like a case of crabs. You do nothing but annoy the **** out of anything you come in contact with.

And you're an idiot!

samuse
08-23-2013, 07:34
Ok I take it back.

The BAD lever is awesome.

I'm going to go out and buy more ARs just so I can buy more BAD levers and plastic magazines.

Loves me some BAD lever.

TangoFoxtrot
08-23-2013, 18:47
ut oh somebody is forcing down the kool-aid...lol

jakebrake
08-23-2013, 19:12
I have one. took about 3 minutes to get used to. love it.

multo17
08-23-2013, 21:50
I got a Tactical Link lever on order. Supposed to be more solid than other designs because it uses 3 screws to secure it. I will give one a shot and see if I like it.

I have a Tactical Link lever on my Sig M400 & Sig 516 & I now can't live without it! It just makes every thing so easy. Installation very easy & very secure, & I didn't put any Loctite. So far 200 rds on my 516 & NO wiggle, just rock solid! Good luck!:cool:

NeverMore1701
08-23-2013, 22:56
Love 'em, they're on both my ARs.

skeeter7
08-24-2013, 00:33
Love 'em, they're on both my ARs.

Same here. :wavey:

GunHo198
08-24-2013, 01:41
While I like Magpul and a lot of the newer stuff that's come out on the market since the Gulf War, I often kick stuff aside and stay with what I trained with in the 90's. it's often hard to teach an old dog new tricks, and I think why fix something that's not broke.

Heck, I still prefer a map and compass over a GPS even though I use my GPS often. The maps give you a much larger over all picture with often more detail than a small GPS.

My rife has a lot of Magpul on it but I don't like the foreword grips. They just get in the way. Even the small canted one seems awkward to me. I do like my flashlight and Scope setup though.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/24/gyse8y2a.jpg

Contact
08-24-2013, 07:23
I'm a lefty, and I found that I use this opposite of it's intended design, due to the fact that I'm holding the rifle like a lefty. I'll usually use my left index finger to lock the BCG back if there are still rounds left in the magazine, and my right thumb to go into battery on a fresh magazine.

Works great for me.

PaLEOjd
08-24-2013, 11:43
Never used one myself but I don't like the idea. I just don't like anything in my trigger guard. Seems like the guys that use them really like them and haven't had any issues.

pag23
08-24-2013, 19:40
I was skeptical at first but have really gotten use to it.

arushus
08-28-2013, 00:09
Love mine. Especially helpful for locking the BCG back for whatever reason.

NH_FED
09-07-2013, 07:10
I won't use one on my rifle for the simple reason that our work M4's don't have one. I've been tempted a few times to try one out, but I don't want to develop muscle memory with a B.A.D. lever installed and then find myself SOL when something kicks off at work and Murphy happens to be watching.