Put turkey legs to use [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Put turkey legs to use

TScottW99
05-06-2011, 02:09
The other thread about turkey breasts wanted me to start this one....

Turkey Chili

3 cups of Turkey broth
1 cup of water
1 can 14.5 ounce of diced tomatoes, undrained
1 16 ounce jar of chunky salsa medium
1 tablespoon of chili powder
1 teaspoon of cumin
1 can 15 ounce of low sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can 15 ounce of sweet corn, undrained
2 cups of cooked turkey breast, cubed
1 cup quick cooking barley
Salt to taste

Add all ingredients but the barley into a 6 quart dutch oven. Stir all ingredients together and then bring to a simmer. Let simmer for 15 - 20 minutes then put barley in and let simmer for at least another 20 minutes. Finish off with cheese if you like and dollop of sour cream (a must in our book!)

I will put my recipe for my turkey broth below.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y177/TScottW99/turkeychili-1.jpg

TScottW99
05-06-2011, 02:10
Turkey Broth

1 turkey leg & thigh
3 carrots, washed but not peeled
3 stalks of celery, washed but not peeled
1 medium onion, quartered, not peeled
7 whole peppercorns
1 teaspoon of dried sage
1 clove of garlic
1 bay leaf

In a 6 quart dutch oven, place all ingredients in pot and then cover with water. If planning on making a breast for another recipe add breast now. Bring pot to a simmer and skim any fat off. Let simmer for 30 minutes then remove breast meat. Let simmer for at least another hour. Strain with a fine straining colander or with cheese cloth twice. Then use broth for other recipes or for straight up delicious turkey broth.

This is a great way to use the wild turkey leg that none of us enjoy eating. You get a lot of flavor from the leg and have a use for it. I use a food saver to vacuum pack one leg and thigh together so that it is very easy to grab it, let it thaw and then make soup

noway
05-07-2011, 20:49
looks good. I'll bring some chopped onions, cilantro, beer and plate. Just save me a plate :odie: