Machining Student on smithing quest [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Machining Student on smithing quest

Dubble-Tapper
05-06-2011, 13:16
hey guys, im pretty new to the site, pretty young still, (22) i have been shooting pistols for a few years, and am currently halfway through my 2 year Machine Tool Technology degree. i now want to start to learn the basics of gun smithing, but do not really know where to start. i cant do much at school of course, but have access to manual mills, lathes, and CNCs outside of school. i love smaller intricate, precision parts that look and function beautifully. i.e. fine firearms.

i just want to start somewhere, im sure someone can point me in the right direction, kinda want to delve into the history as well, anyone know of good literature, or someone i can talk to? my gun knowledge is sparse, but i love to shoot, and love to customize my own things, and think i do nice work with metals. thanks in advance

oh yeah, heres a pic of some small gear blank i made, it was all cut from 3'' diameter alum. round stock, on a cheap Victor 6ft manual lathe. just thought id show some of my work

VN350X10
05-06-2011, 20:03
Start by looking into books written by P.O.Akley & Roy Dunlap.
These 2 gentlemen might have been the ultimate in gunsmithing knowledge to ever live.

And welcome to G.T.

uncle albert