gas system for supressor [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : gas system for supressor

glockweiler
05-06-2011, 21:12
Hey everyone,

Trying to get some insight on a good set up for running a supressor. I will be buying/building my first ar. I've narrowed the field to either a 16 middy or 16 carbine.

I have friends that can handload ammo for subsonic. Which gas system would be better for cycling and any other considerations I might be missing? Thanks in advance...trying to research and do it right the first time.

Mayhem like Me
05-06-2011, 21:32
16 inch go middy with a NOVESKE switchblock if you can find one or the adjustable JP.

glockweiler
05-06-2011, 21:45
Looks like this is the ticket. Thanks

What's the reasoning behind the middy? easier to regulate?

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/n=y/pid=31990/Product/AR_15_M16_SWITCHBLOCK_ADJUSTABLE_GAS_BLOCK

Mayhem like Me
05-06-2011, 21:52
less peak pressure than the carbine, the carbine system(xm177) was designed for barrels in the 10.5-11.5 inch range.

The middy works great for 14.5-16 inch guns peak pressure and bolt speed is lower with the Middy system vs the carbine system which is really an SBR system.

WoodenPlank
05-06-2011, 21:52
Looks like this is the ticket. Thanks

What's the reasoning behind the middy? easier to regulate?

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/n=y/pid=31990/Product/AR_15_M16_SWITCHBLOCK_ADJUSTABLE_GAS_BLOCK

Slightly better lock or dwell time (cant remember which) when using a 16" barrel, less bolt thrust(thereby less wear), less felt recoil.

glockweiler
05-06-2011, 22:00
Thanks for the schooling.

Anyone have a review or recomendations for a can?

I'd imagine you'd have to get your ammo squared away and then adjust with the switchblock for cycling issues?

Mayhem like Me
05-06-2011, 22:02
I have an AAC M4 2000 for work... great can.
http://www.advanced-armament.com/product.aspx?pid=197

ranger II is a great can also no fast attatch
http://www.advanced-armament.com/product.aspx?pid=192

WoodenPlank
05-06-2011, 22:04
Thanks for the schooling.

Anyone have a review or recomendations for a can?

I'd imagine you'd have to get your ammo squared away and then adjust with the switchblock for cycling issues?

For me, Surefire is the only way to go. My Mk. 18 will be getting a 212 added to it as soon as funds allow.

glockweiler
05-06-2011, 22:15
Thanks, looks like I've got some stuff to check out. I appreciate the insight.

CAR-AR-M16
05-07-2011, 06:57
Hey everyone,

Trying to get some insight on a good set up for running a supressor. I will be buying/building my first ar. I've narrowed the field to either a 16 middy or 16 carbine.

I have friends that can handload ammo for subsonic. Which gas system would be better for cycling and any other considerations I might be missing? Thanks in advance...trying to research and do it right the first time.

How do you plan on making these subsonic rounds?

If you load standard 55-62gr rounds down to below 1100fps, they will be subsonic, but will not have enough gas pressure to cycle the action no matter what gas system you have. I have used the EBR subsonic rounds (64gr JSP loaded to 1000fps) through my AAC M4-2000 and they are very quiet, but will not even begin to cycle. Also, with that light and slow of a bullet you might just as well shoot .22LR as you are down to that energy level.

If you go to very heavy bullets to get the velocity down then you run into the throat not being long enough for the bullet, the length of the cartridge being too long to fit in the magazine and the twist rate not fast enough to stabilize such a long round (causing baffle strikes).

I know my AAC M4-2000 manual specifically states that they will not warranty the can with any subsonic rounds.

glockweiler
05-07-2011, 09:52
So what I'm getting from this is that subsonic loaded ammo isn't a good idea. The gas system won't work for semi-auto operation.

I guess my next question is how do you get a quiet signature with "normal" ammo? You'd still have to be subsonic to not get the crack, right?

CAR-AR-M16
05-07-2011, 09:57
So what I'm getting from this is that subsonic loaded ammo isn't a good idea. The gas system won't work for semi-auto operation.

I guess my next question is how do you get a quiet signature with "normal" ammo? You'd still have to be subsonic to not get the crack, right?

You cannot get a 5.56 supersonic round to be "hollywood quiet". It is just too fast and the sonic boom is still loud, but no more than a non-silenced .22LR. The only way to get it quiet is to go subsonic, but like I already mentioned it will not be any more powerful than a .22LR.

glockweiler
05-07-2011, 10:09
Sounds like it would be best served on a bolt gun then. Thanks again for the schooling.

boomhower
05-07-2011, 14:33
The point of a suppressor on a 5.56 isn't to make it "silent", it's to prevent hearing damage and keep communication possible.

WoodenPlank
05-07-2011, 14:35
The point of a suppressor on a 5.56 isn't to make it "silent", it's to prevent hearing damage and keep communication possible.

Also reduces dust, audible, and flash signatures.

Mayhem like Me
05-07-2011, 15:10
they are still really quit compared to non suppressed.

fivestar
05-10-2011, 21:06
I just picked up my Halo on Saturday, and got to shoot it Sunday. I also tried out my new CMMG kit as well. Suppressed, my AR sounds like a 22 mag; only slightly louder than a 22 lr. Im pretty happy with it.

Mayhem like Me
05-11-2011, 10:16
now shoot it with a 22rf kit and some aguilla subsonic all you here is the bolt cycle and the round hitting

CAcop
05-11-2011, 11:30
We toyed with them at work once because the SWAT team was thinking of using them on entries to save their ears. It made it tolerable to shoot without ear pro outside. It was kind of similar to a nail gun. The supersonic crack of the bullet is downrage.