I have an issue with my Mark I and new Ruger mags [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I have an issue with my Mark I and new Ruger mags

chuckmiller
05-07-2011, 14:21
I ordered 3 new mags direct from Ruger. They were advertised as the correct part for my Mark I. The problem is when I insert the mag it will not go in completely and lock unless I first open/lock back the bolt, then they will insert fully and lock. Once they are in they do not feed reliably and jam often. My three original mags function just fine. Anyone have an idea on this? The original mags have a plain silver floor and the new mags have the Ruger logo in red on the bottom.

XNDR17C
05-30-2011, 17:20
Wow, this thread is from a few weeks ago, I gotta' check this forum more often.

Yeah, the mags they list for the older Standards and MkI are crap. I have an early '50's Standard that I bought with one original mag, so I bought two of the new style MkI mags. Neither worked properly. I could insert them fully but they would constantly misfeed plain round nose ammo and absolutely would not work with hollow points. And sometimes the bolt would ride over the top round.
After comparing the new mags with an original, I discovered that the new mags, though they would lock in place, weren't going in far enough, so I tried shaving some material from the top surfaces of the bases, where the bases touch the frame. This brought the top of the mag and the top round inline with the bolt. But it still misfed. I monkeyed around with them for a week and finally gave up. I fortunately found someone who had a bunch of old style mags and he sold me three that were like new condition. Those mags have worked perfectly with not one failure, even with hollow points.
I have read that some owner's MkI guns work fine with the new style mags, it just depends on the pickyness of the pistol.