G32. Need NS. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : G32. Need NS.

MartinRiggs1987
05-07-2011, 21:01
I have a couple Glocks that need NS. Especially my G32 OD. I normally get Trijicon, because I am used to the sight picture and I am a fan.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
However, I wanted to ask you guys what you recommend for NS in Glock compacts and subcompacts. I haven't tried Meps or Ameriglo yet. What's the pro and cons to each? If there's already been threads to this recently. Just give me the links. Thanks.

samuse
05-09-2011, 22:12
I like Ameriglo because they have a plain black rear and a lot of different options such as: notch width, serrated face, color of rings, plain black serrated, fiber optic etc.

I really prefer plain black rear with a black serrated front. I find a clean sight picture better for me at the range. I know most SD shooting occur in low light, but I train to point shoot up close and fast, so I don't worry about it.

MartinRiggs1987
05-09-2011, 22:39
I like Ameriglo because they have a plain black rear and a lot of different options such as: notch width, serrated face, color of rings, plain black serrated, fiber optic etc.

I really prefer plain black rear with a black serrated front. I find a clean sight picture better for me at the range. I know most SD shooting occur in low light, but I train to point shoot up close and fast, so I don't worry about it.Thanks Samuse.

mvician
05-10-2011, 13:14
My favorite is the Ameriglo Operator set.

http://www.ameriglo.net/sites/default/files/imagecache/uc_category/Operator%20GL146%20%20GL%20148%20%20copy_0.jpg

RayB
05-10-2011, 13:35
My favorite is the Ameriglo Operator set.

http://www.ameriglo.net/sites/default/files/imagecache/uc_category/Operator%20GL146%20%20GL%20148%20%20copy_0.jpg

:agree: I like the Operator sights too! But AmeriGlo offers many variations and combinations of both night sights, and dedicated target sights...

http://www.ameriglo.net/catalog/sights/pistol-sights/glock

There's also a GT code for a 20% discount direct from the OEM. If memory serves, it's "GSSF"... But maybe somebody knows better? :dunno:

I also agree that training in Point Shooting is a really good idea for anyone that carries a CW... :thumbsup:

I'm also a big fan of lasers on CCWs and bedside guns! ;)

At any rate, here's my well-received night sight review...

My Take On Night Sights...

Self-Luminous Tritium Night Sights incorporate small tritium-charged lamps as sight markers. The hermetically sealed lamps consist of glass ampoules coated internally with phosphor and charged with tritium gas (Hydrogen 3). Free electrons in the decaying tritium gas strike and excite the phosphor coating, emitting light, much the way a CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) monitor or older television does. Tritium gas is a byproduct of nuclear fission. Tritium poses no health hazard unless it is ingested or inhaled. On average, you can expect 12+ years of useful light from tritium sights.

Glock OEM Night Sights utilize Meprolight lamps, and when purchased with the gun, are about the best deal going! The OEM models are combat-type sights, which typically had a staked-on front sight that dedicated that sight to one gun; but recently, we’ve been getting reports of a threaded-on front sight being the new standard for this set up. They are excellent bull's-eye sights out to 30-feet or so.
We’ve also been hearing that Glock now offers Trijicon night sights, installed by the factory.

Meprolight Night Sights are rugged, well-made, low profile, combat-type sights, with a wide front blade to rear sight notch aspect. Israeli-made Meprolights were the first tritium night sights marketed for use on popular pistols and rifles. Their large lamps appear brighter than other night sights, partly because the interior of the lamp housings has a bright-white coating to increase internal reflection. The lamps and white plastic o-ring markers appear to be embedded in polished epoxy, which resists solvents and makes for easy cleaning. By design, the front sight appears brighter than the rear sight.

Trijicon Night Sights offer tritium lamps surrounded by an aluminum sleeve, pressed into the sight housing, and covered by a sapphire lens. This lens makes the sight markers appear very sharp in the dark, Vs. Meprolight's glowing orbs, and protects the lamps from external damage. The narrower front blade to rear sight notch aspect will be appreciated by sharper eyed shooters at the range. The quality is excellent, but care should be taken when cleaning to avoid harsh solvents and aggressive scrubbing, as the white o-rings are painted on. The new Trijicon HD sights rival AmeriGlo's Operator-style Sights, and have an additional protective coating over the front sight marker.

AmeriGlo offers the best selection of night sights available. Quality is first-rate, as the sights combine Trijicon lamps with white PVC O-rings for markers. A combination of sight profiles, blade and notch widths, marker configurations, sizes and lamp colors, offers something for everyone. I really like their Operator sights with a green front and yellow rear lamps!

XS Big Dot sights are high quality combat sights, designed for SHTF situations. Place that big white dot on center mass, and if your trigger control is good, you will hit your target, out to 30-feet or better. The night sight picture is pleasing and easily picked up. These are a specialty sight, and many will find them wanting for range use; conversely, others will master them for target use too. More than any sight I know of, people like them or they don't.

Note: Lamp colors are often mixed today, combining the familiar green with yellow or orange, even red or blue tritium lamps. The brighter appearing green, always goes to the front... I personally like the two color set up, using yellow or orange rear lamps, with the green front. Note that green and yellow have a similar lamp-life, while other colors such as orange or red, may have half the lamp-life.

Summary: These are just a few night sights we've had first-hand experience with. There are other quality products, and some not-so-quality products out there to try. Some are innovative and novel--like TrueGlo TFOs. Some have been known to be problematic--like TruGlo TFOs. Any of the premium brands--i.e., Novak, Heinie, Dawson Precision, Bomar, etc.---should be excellent. The warranty is a good indicator of the manufacturer's confidence in their product.

--Ray

up1911fan
05-10-2011, 21:36
I prefer the Warren Tactical sights. Plain black with a tritium front. The same set up with a 10-8 or Heinie rear works for me as well.

RayB
05-11-2011, 14:24
I prefer the Warren Tactical sights. Plain black with a tritium front. The same set up with a 10-8 or Heinie rear works for me as well.

So, you like black irons for routine target shooting? I envy your visual acuity! :supergrin:

What's a 10-8? :dunno:

--Ray

SigPro2022
05-15-2011, 16:27
I have a set of Ameriglo I-Dot Pro's and so far I really like them. Here's a link for you:
http://www.ameriglo.net/catalog/sights/pistol-sights/glock/night-sights/complete-sets/i-dot

up1911fan
05-17-2011, 15:14
So, you like black irons for routine target shooting? I envy your visual acuity! :supergrin:

What's a 10-8? :dunno:

--Ray

No, a plain black rear sight with a tritium front sight. Such as these from Warren Tactical.
http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k558/up1911fan/Glock%2019/kodak011.jpg

RMD
05-17-2011, 15:50
I've got yellow/green Meps on mine and like them a lot.

RayB
05-19-2011, 04:29
No, a plain black rear sight with a tritium front sight. Such as these from Warren Tactical.
http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k558/up1911fan/Glock%2019/kodak011.jpg

Ah!

I handled a .40 S&W Sig Equinox, that I liked a lot. Its got a TFO front sight with a marker-less tritium rear sight--sort of like the Operator sights do. The front TFO really pops in that matte-black rear sight notch, and you get the familiar three green dots in the dark. Pretty slick!

But the TFO front sight is awfully "fat" for range use...

--Ray

danielspdx
05-19-2011, 08:36

I too like this setup...much more than the Trijicon 3 dot tritium sights that I've carried daily for the past 12+ years. I've grown to hate the Trijicon 3 dot, mostly because the rear notch is a bit small and the front sight is fat enough that it's hard for me to tell when it's centered within the rear notch.

The Warrens have a slightly wider rear notch and a slimmer front sight, so it's much easier for me to get the front sight aligned properly. I run Warren/Sevigny on my G34 with a FO front (it's my production division gun) and I find it quicker and more accurate than the Trijicon setup. YMMV

GRT45
05-19-2011, 11:42
I have a set of Ameriglo I-Dot Pro's and so far I really like them. Here's a link for you:
http://www.ameriglo.net/catalog/sights/pistol-sights/glock/night-sights/complete-sets/i-dot

+1 for AmeriGlo I-Dot Pro

I prefer the AmeriGlo I-Dot Pro (http://www.ameriglo.net/catalog/sights/pistol-sights/glock/night-sights/complete-sets/i-dot) set with the Hackathorn (Hack) front sight and .180" wide U-notch rear sight with a single, yellow tritium dot (GL-204 MSRP $89.00). The Hack front sight is a Trijicon green tritium tube with an orange outline. AmeriGlo offers a green/green version too (GL-203 for G30 and G32 pictured below).

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii251/UnPkg/GL-203.jpg (http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii251/UnPkg/GL-203.jpg)
The yellow tritium at the rear sight is definitely not as bright as the green, but that's a characteristic I prefer. In near total darkness and stressful circumstances, I feel the brighter green tritium focuses attention on the front sight and can't be confused with the rear sight as it might if both were green dots of nearly equal brightness.

I also much prefer a two-dot night sight configuration over a three dot system (two at rear). I believe a three dot system is more distracting, slower to get aligned on target and more prone to confuse the shooter in near total darkness. It's just my opinion and a personal preference. Some shooters like a tritium front sight only with a plain black rear sight to simplify the low-light sight picture even further. However, I prefer something on the rear sight to index front and rear in total darkness just in case it's needed.

The orange outline on the Hack front sight really stands out in daylight. The bright front sight and wide notch on the rear sight make for very fast target acquisition in normal indoor and outdoor light. The orange color on the front sight is painted on, but it's claimed to be very durable. Even so, I avoid exposing it to harsh cleaning solvents to be on the safe side.

AmeriGlo offers a 10% discount using Promo Code: GLOCKTALK or GSSF

The other brand of night sights I highly recommend, if you have good eyesight, are the Warren-Sevigny Carry Sight Set (http://www.cpwsa.com/warren_sevigny_sights.htm) with tritium inserts. The Sevigny sights are an excellent choice for shooters who like to run their unmodified CCW pistol in match competitions.