1911 .22 conversion kits? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 1911 .22 conversion kits?

vafish
05-07-2011, 21:26
Love my AA kit for the g19/23.

Probably picking up a 1911 tomorrow.

Haven't researched the various 1911 conversion kits.

What is the word on them?

chrismartin
05-07-2011, 21:29
My Marvel .22 conversion worked so well, I bought a frame and parts so that I could have a dedicated .22 1911.
Marvel is probably one of the kings of 1911 22 conversions.
Other makers include Kimber and Tactical Solutions, but I can only speak to the Marvel unit 1, which has been great except for the magazines (Colt ACE mags are hard to load and can be finicky due to the very thin feed lips)

TonyT
05-13-2011, 20:36
I have used several over the years. My comments are as follows;
Original Colt - all steel, plinker in terms of accuracy, the floating chamber is a pain in the neck to clean, it has more collector than shooter value.

Marvel Unit #1 - the most reliable and accurate conversion unit made, a favorite of bullseye pistol shooters, slide is aluminum with a steel breechblock and does not lock open after firing the last round. This is the unit I would not be without. This uni9t id designed for SV ammo but I understand it can be used with an optional heavier recoil spring and HV ammo.
Ciener - a plinker in terms of accuracy, aluminum slide does not lock back after firing last round, customer service in nonexistent. They make a great 15 round magazine which works well with SV ammo and my Marvel units.

Jarvis - an all stel unit of unique design, designed for HV ammo with a very distinct preference for Remington Golden and CCI MiniMag, better accuracy than Ciener but nowhere near the Marvel. Unit has been discontinued.

Tactical Solutions - an improved Jarvis unit, does not break firing pins wihth the frequency of the Jarvis, accuracy on a par with the Jarvis, all steel construction and like the Jarvis excellent machining, their aluminum mags are horribly overpriced, slide locks back after firing the last round withn some magazines.

I have shot the AA unit on a G-17 but have not purchased one for the 1911. It has an aluminum slide with a small steel insert mounted on the inner side of the slide - I understand this tends to work itself loose with time but have no direct expereince. It is also designed for HV ammo and prefers Remington Golden or CCIMiniMag.

FLIPPER 348
05-14-2011, 07:54
What is the word on them?

I have experience with two of the Kimber kits, flawless.

I installed this well worn one atop a Fusion alloy frame. No MIM and the same options as my other 1911s. I did swap the sights out and filled in the fwd serrations and Kimber rollmark. No beer can is safe within 60'! Of all my 1911s it happily gets shot the most.

Jason D
05-14-2011, 17:40
I too have a Kimber conversion kit.
I like the kit ok, and it has been reliable.

I really wish I would have bought a Marvel.

GreenSkyy87
05-14-2011, 18:38
Another thing to consider is the GSG .22. For about the same price as a conversion kit you can have a dedicated rimfire 1911.

As for the conversions, chalk up another vote for the Marvel here.

Kansas Slim
05-14-2011, 19:13
Jonathan Arthur Ceiner kits are a great option that a lot of people seem to overlook. However, if you want the most accurate conversion out of the bunch it would probably be the Marvel Unit 1. Enjoy!

jmoln
06-27-2011, 12:07
it's been a month since the last post but I would like to add a similar question to this thread. For those of you who have used the conversion units and complete units such as the GSG what about the trigger? I recently handled a GSG and thought the trigger to be so hard that it would affect the accuracy. So, assuming I want a .22 that looks like a 1911 what is better - a conversion unit or a dedicated .22?

Jason D
06-27-2011, 15:58
Eh, it's hard to say.
I have have 8 1911 pistols and not a single one of them is for a dedicated .22.
I just drop the Kimber unit on whatever frame I wish to shoot.

That way I can practice with the gun I would normally shoot in a match with .22 ammo, and go back to .45 and still have it feel the same.

There is also a lot to be said for .22 pistols in and of themselves.
I have several of those that I enjoy shooting. Some of them are good enough for match shooting. These batch of purpose built 22 1911's are something that I have decided to stay away from. I know at least one of them (GSG) has a lot of swappable components with a real 1911.

If I were going to have a dedicated 1911 in .22, I'd build it with a better frame and parts. Kimber does make a 1911 in .22. That would be a good gun to start with I'm sure.
It's be expensive though. For the same price you could get you a nice used S&W model 41.

CnRnut
06-28-2011, 18:02
I went with a GSG in .22. I've found the gun a great shooter and after
a good cleaning and lube,and some adjustments to the gun,I find it well
worth the $$ spent.

GlockBill
06-30-2011, 06:34
I went with a GSG in .22. I've found the gun a great shooter and after
a good cleaning and lube,and some adjustments to the gun,I find it well
worth the $$ spent.

From handling the GSG 1911 .22LR, I was very impressed with it for the price. It seems like a pretty tough deal to beat. If you're looking for something to give more trigger time with a particular frame, the Marvel is probably the way to go.

Messenger
07-10-2011, 13:07
There are quite a few units out there. Marvel is way ahead of #2. You get what you pay for. Sub half inch groups at 50 yards.

GSSF17
07-10-2011, 14:51
Marvel HANDS DOWN. No question about it. I actually have a Kimber conversion that I sold, cause the GSG 1911 .22 I bought here awhile back is better, IMO. If you want a conversion, I say go with a Marvel. If you want a plinker with good accuracy and surprising quality, get a GSG.