Daniel Defense Omega 7.0 Help [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Daniel Defense Omega 7.0 Help

ArmaGlock
05-08-2011, 16:13
I had a DD Omega 7.0 a few years back, but changed to a DD 12.0 FSP. I'm ordering one for an SBR build and was curious about the handguard cap and its interference with sliding a mount on the side rails.

Doesn't the handguard cap get in the way of sliding a light mount on that isn't two piece? I know some people have said that they can slide a rail cover past it with a little work, but I'm thinking a mount might be worse.

Anyone been able to come up with a solution without completely removing the cap? Pictures if you have them. I'll be putting a Gear Sector light mount on it.

bullittmcqueen
05-08-2011, 18:05
I removed the hand guard cap with my omega 9.0. It serves no purpose. ( I also switched to a lo-pro gas block.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5209291/IMG_1204.JPG

ArmaGlock
05-08-2011, 19:43
Yeah I'm sticking with the standard FSB, part of the reason I went with a 7 inch rail and not a longer one.

My only concern with removing the handguard cap was the gap it leaves between the rail and the FSB that exposes the gas tube. That's kind of what I wanted to see a picture of if anyone can help.

WoodenPlank
05-08-2011, 19:46
Can't share a photo, but the handguard cap WILL get in the way in some cases. I had to switch from a Danger Close mount to VTAC because of it.

ArmaGlock
05-08-2011, 21:22
Thanks for the info. While I think it's a good mount, I don't want to go back to a VTAC, too damn bulky. I like the low profile design of the mount I'm using now, similar to that of the Danger Close. Gonna figure something out with that handguard cap.

WoodenPlank
05-09-2011, 17:17
Thanks for the info. While I think it's a good mount, I don't want to go back to a VTAC, too damn bulky. I like the low profile design of the mount I'm using now, similar to that of the Danger Close. Gonna figure something out with that handguard cap.

I haven't seen an example of the Omega with handguard cap removed, but I can't imagine the gap would be very large. I would just get the cap removed and leave it be.

Edit: The DC mount did work on the side rails, even with the handguard cap, it just could be a PITA to get it on and off. It usually entailed pulling all the rail covers off, and removing the light from the mount first, then took a fair amount of wiggling to get it off the rail and past the cap. Workable, just annoying.

Captains1911
05-09-2011, 18:49
Not sure if this is what you mean, but I had the problem of the triangular shaped handguard cap on my middy not allowing me to slide my X300 on and off the side rail of an Omega 9.0. I just carefully cut a piece away from the cap with a dremmel, filed the sharp edges, and hit the exposed steel with birchwood casey alumablack. It just seemed easier than removing the entire cap.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e106/Captains1911/temp/DSC01242.jpg

ArmaGlock
05-09-2011, 19:58
Thanks WoodenPlank. Exactly what I was looking for captain. Thanks guys.