Geez guys, I can't stop. Is there a cure for BRD? v. Geissele Trigger [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Geez guys, I can't stop. Is there a cure for BRD? v. Geissele Trigger

Eurodriver
05-08-2011, 20:30
I just bought a Surefire M600C scout light for one of my ARs.

I bought a 6PLED yesterday, with a Mount-n-slot SMC mount.

Now I'm ordering Larue Index clips and a Geissele trigger.

My wife is going to murder me. I mean full on cut my throat in my sleep murder.

Is the Geissele really worth it? Optic is a 4x ACOG and its used for paper punching out to 500 yards.

surf
05-08-2011, 20:44
As for distance shooting, if I remember correctly you don't have an issue hitting torso sized targets at 500 yards with irons on a standard M4. While the Geissele is a slick set up, I am not sure if you are going to realize its full potential for distance shooting with a 4X at 500 especially on a non precision rifle. More magnification perhaps, but I think you would get the same results with a stock USGI type trigger.

As for speed increase with the trigger, that is hard to say from user to user. For myself I am not any faster (actually .01 slower) with my SSA vs a Stock Colt USGI trigger in my own informal testing.

So for myself, I only see the benefit in a higher magnified SPR type of rifle and I will save my money for battle style rifles with irons or red dots.

You may have seen them, but here is the short version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbOct0zf6_M

And the long version with more of my thoughts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olPC6bBE8cA

Eurodriver
05-08-2011, 20:53
Thanks Surf, your opinions are always respected.

You are correct. I have no issues with the stock trigger on a 12" circle out to 500 yards, the 440 yard gong at Kokohead is actually easy. I guess all this rain and sitting inside has me spending too much time online. I'll stick with the USGI trigger. I prefer it when it comes to <100 yard shooting anyway.

I don't even own an AR SPR and until then I don't think I'll own a different type of trigger either.

surf
05-09-2011, 00:23
I am definitely not trying to talk you out of the trigger but a great shooter will usually only see the benefit from a match trigger on a precision set up with high magnification. I would think your skills might leave you a bit disappointed considering the price of the actual trigger.

Again don't get me wrong as the Geissele triggers are slick set ups and pretty much the best in their respective classes.

eracer
05-09-2011, 03:20
I think someone like me, who is learning to shoot with precision and accuracy benefits greatly from having a good trigger.

The standard AR trigger is fine for combat reliability, but the Geissele has proven to be both reliable AND conducive to to better long-range shooting.

Why should I handicap myself with a creepy, gritty, 8-lb. trigger when I can have a trigger that helps me be a better shooter?

None of my AR's, from my 16" 5.56 carbine (Alexander Arms Tactical Trigger) to my 24" Satern Grendel build (Geissele SSA) has a stock trigger. It's the first thing I get rid of.

djegators
05-09-2011, 05:33
I see it a bit different, especially for someone learning to shoot. As you learn to shoot, and in learn to shoot a particular rifle, you tweak as you go. As you become more and more proficient, you will see your skill level meet up with the limitations of your gear, and you can adjust as needed from there. Personally I wouldn't suggest spending $200 or more on a trigger until someone is already quite proficient with the stock setup.

BuffaloXJ
05-09-2011, 05:45
Might I suggest a temporary fix? I ordered the JP Enterprises/Industries (can't remember which it is, lol) reduced power trigger spring kit from Brownells. It was roughly $10 and after using my dremel to smooth up the trigger mating surfaces, adding a little molybdenum disulfide grease to it, the trigger is amazing!

Granted, I've never used a real two-stage trigger, but my trigger feels very much like a two-stage trigger now! The "first stage" is trigger take up, it is light and followed closely with a sharp stopping point. Pull a little harder past the "second stage" and the rifle fires.

I bought it as an alternative to the Geissele SSA (because of its price limitations) but when I build my SPR, I plan to throw an SSA-E on it.

fuzzy03cls
05-09-2011, 08:06
The cure is when your broke:(

BBJones
05-09-2011, 12:55
Geissele makes alot of different models. Which one are you asking about?

The newish SD line uses the flat triggers (SDC - like the SSA, SD3G - like S3G, and i think SDE - a more refined 2 stage). I really like the flat triggers but many don't.

I have the SD3G in my LW carbine setup. It is without a doubt the fastest cleanest trigger I have ever used. The reset is short and crisp. It is a 2 stage that feels like a single stage (smooth shortish pull with no stacking and a surprise break). I would not use it for long distance precision shooting or for duty, however.

I have tried the SSA and it is a good trigger but sort of the workman trigger of their line. Jack of all trades master of none. The one thing you can say about their triggers that many other aftermarkets can't is that they put reliability first. I think anyone who has tried one of their triggers would agree the feel is far superior to a stock trigger.

Important to note that stock triggers vary greatly. Some absolutely suck and others are close to a custom.