After Market Triggers ? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : After Market Triggers ?

Reb 56
05-08-2011, 22:34
Recentley installed a RRA NM Trigger on my AR, Took it to the Range and was impressed with the smooth 1st stage and the crisp trigger break. Reset was very short.
Does anyone prefer the stock USGI Trigger?

Don't see many on this Forum talking about Trigger preferences.

micdude
05-08-2011, 23:02
Buy once, cry once as folks say.. Geissele triggers. No need to beat around the bush.

surf
05-09-2011, 00:20
I am only a fan of an aftermarket trigger on a high magnification rifle such as an SPR / DMR type of rifle. For myself in a battle rifle that is maybe only accurate to 2-3 MOA and using iron sights or a red dot optic, I find no advantages that I can measure in accuracy, nor am I any faster on the trigger with an aftermarket trigger vs a USGI type trigger.

I find that people who do not have a well developed trigger finger, or do not have a good trigger manipulation technique will generally lack a good mastery of the basic fundamentals of marksmanship. I also strongly feel that the better a shooter becomes at mastering the more difficult trigger, the better shooter they will be in the long run. For a shooter to be great with a USGI trigger means that they have better mastery over the basic marksmanship fundamentals. Put a match or aftermarket trigger in their hands and they will be far greater for having mastered the USGI trigger first. Going to an aftermarket or match type of trigger too quickly often robs a shooter of a valuable learning curve.

Reb 56
05-09-2011, 17:19
Buy once, cry once as folks say.. Geissele triggers. No need to beat around the bush.

Are they $100 better than the RRA ?

WoodenPlank
05-09-2011, 17:22
For the most part, I agree with Surf's post. I do prefer the more consistent pull and reset on the RRA NM trigger I have in my SBR, but that might be because the DPMS trigger from the parts kit I bought was utter crap. Maybe a better quality GI spec trigger would have worked better, but the DPMS one was pure ass.

Reb 56
05-09-2011, 17:41
I've shot my Rifle for 2 years with the stock trigger and glad to be rid of it. Any Rifle or Pistol is more accurate with a good trigger.

Hoser
05-09-2011, 18:23
A good trigger is just a piece of the puzzle.

Crappy trigger makes for crappy accuracy. Maybe not crappy, but they aren't doing you any favors.

Geissele or JP. All I have is those two. Even in my M-16 I use a Geissele.

sgtlmj
05-14-2011, 15:44
Are they $100 better than the RRA ?

Absolutely!

faawrenchbndr
05-14-2011, 16:09
Outstanding advice from Surf!

I recently installed a Timmney 4 pound skeleton trigger in my rifle, it's a range & hunting rifle only.

Glockdude1
05-15-2011, 08:15
I have a Rock River match trigger in my Bushy. Love it.

:cool:

Lowrangerider
05-19-2011, 18:49
JP Enterprises single stage.

blaster_54738
05-19-2011, 18:58
and for those on a budget bill springfields trigger job is another good way to go

Minnow
05-19-2011, 21:16
I have a RRA two stage in one of my Ar-15's as well. It is a good trigger for the money. I'd buy another without hesitation.

Doc Pathfinder
05-21-2011, 11:52
The Rock River 2 stage trigger is a very good trigger for the money. I have one in one of my carbines. But, The Giessele S3G is the very best trigger there is for an AR carbine. Until I put one in my gun I would never have even believed you could build an AR that shot and feels like it does now.

D4RWlN
05-25-2011, 05:15
I put a Geissele in my ACR, a timney in my father AR, and have a standard mil spec in my AR. I shoot equally well but I definitely enjoy the Timney and Geissele more. I have decided if I like the Geissele or Timney more. Single stage vs two stage.

eracer
05-25-2011, 05:21
I will never own an AR that doesn't have an after-market trigger. The USGI trigger is designed for maximum reliability on the field of battle, when the rifle is in the hands of an infantryman whose main job is to provide covering fire.

There are triggers available that provide the same level of reliability, with far superior feel, and which facilitate enhanced accuracy when needed. The only reason not to switch is if the budget doesn't allow it.

BlackPaladin
05-25-2011, 06:11
Surf is right on the money with his post. An extra good trigger does not make for an extra good shot, shooting fundamentals is where it's at.

durian00
05-25-2011, 08:33
I have a RRA NM and it's good but I am going to try a Geissele Super 3Gun because of all the gushing and Geissele's comparison table for all their triggers for different uses. I intend to use mine for 3 Gun.

Captains1911
05-25-2011, 08:42
Does anyone prefer the stock USGI Trigger?

On a defensive rifle, yes, becasue it's the most reliable.

Randy from Kansas
05-25-2011, 08:50
I purchased a RRA NM Trigger, not impressed wish I spent more on a trigger for my AR. I have jewel triggers on my benchrest rifle and on a custom Rem action now those are smooth and break like glass. I did not think the RRA 2 stag would be that good but I don't think it is any better then a stock trigger.

eracer
05-25-2011, 09:20
On a defensive rifle, yes, becasue it's the most reliable.One could argue that point. Is it the most widely used? Yes. Most reliable? Not proven.

Captains1911
05-25-2011, 16:12
One could argue that point. Is it the most widely used? Yes. Most reliable? Not proven.

There is a higher failure rate for aftermarket triggers vs. G.I. triggers. The G.I. trigger is also a simpler mechanism with fewer parts to potentially fail, making it more reliable by design.

Randy from Kansas
05-25-2011, 17:29
There is a higher failure rate for aftermarket triggers vs. G.I. triggers. The G.I. trigger is also a simpler mechanism with fewer parts to potentially fail, making it more reliable by design.

Ok where did you find that bit of information?

surf
05-25-2011, 17:51
This is a can-o-worms type of topic and is discussed anywhere there are talks in regards to this weapon platform. I visit another forum and there is a member who has a high post count, has eloquent posts and has some serious high dollar hardware, but he definitely comes across as more than a bit smug at times. Quite a few people seem to listen to him when it comes to aftermarket triggers. There is a huge thread on his reviews on various Geissele triggers with pages and pages of posts, almost like he works for the company (which he doesn't). If you wanted an example of a "fan boy" or "poster child" he would be it for Geissele. Don't get me wrong as I have an SSA and it is a fantastic trigger, the best in its class.

He basically preaches the same thing about every single rifle should have an aftermarket trigger and that the trigger invariably makes a person a better shooter. Of course many of the very experienced real world membership who like a stock single stage have given their opinions but of course this person is dead set on his opinion. Anyway he made some shooting video's and posted them. I watched and he was indeed a younger fella and looked as if money was not an issue to place a $200 trigger in every weapon. He ran his weapon pretty well, but of course the first thing I notice is that his trigger manipulation was horrible. He did not have a proper placement, or even close to a good placement of his trigger finger on the trigger and he lost contact with the trigger on every shot, even during rapid fire. Invariably he was slapping at the trigger. It was very apparent that he did not have any quality or advanced training as this is always covered.

The moral here is that he was a decent shooter however he had been using the Geissele triggers as a crutch and it was no wonder that he could not run a stock USGI trigger very well because he skipped the entire process to learn it properly. There is absolutely zero doubt in my mind that he would be a much better shooter today, even with the Geissele trigger, if he learned to run a stock USGI type trigger in the correct manner to begin with before moving on. Money and a slick trigger is no substitute for learning correct marksmanship fundamentals.

Lee-online
05-25-2011, 19:45
I just got done assembling my new lower and just put in a Geissele service rifle trigger.

It is so smooth compared to my usgi in my Stag.

I will prolly leave the stag with the usgi but when i assemble my SBR i will put an aftermarket trigger in that also.

K. Foster
05-25-2011, 20:32
It’s about having the right tool for the right job. If your AR is a target or varmint gun, aftermarket triggers are great. If we are talking about defensive weapons, the stock trigger is the way to go.

Reb 56
05-25-2011, 21:30
My AR is mostly a Target Rifle and a once in awhile Varmint Rifle. And the RRA NM trigger is what I could afford.and I happen to like it.I'm sure there are better triggers out there but couldn't justify the cost.

Poppa Bear
05-25-2011, 21:52
On a defensive rifle, yes, becasue it's the most reliable.

I would say opinions vary. I have a JP trigger in my DPMS, and a factory Rock River in my Varminter. Both are very nice and I have no doubt in either for reliability. The JP I did myself so I know how I put it together, and I know it could be shorter and even lighter but I went for a more consistent sear and disconnect feel by keeping it just a bit long. To me that is the most important part, it needs to be consistent from shot to shot.

Glockdude1
05-26-2011, 07:28

Where did you get this info?

It is the first I have ever heard that.

K. Foster
05-26-2011, 07:38
Where did you get this info?

It is the first I have ever heard that.

Itís common knowledge.
Generally, the sear surfaces are smaller and can wear quicker. Also, workmanship and quality control varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.

IQof1
05-26-2011, 07:40
One could argue that point. Is it the most widely used? Yes. Most reliable? Not proven.

most reliable? who knows...yet as i am sure someone will post up something. most AVAILABLE, you bet!

speaking only for myself, when i build up an AR, i am building with SHTF in mind. in that case, i prefer the GI trigger as i am also thinking replacement parts, ease of getting those parts quickly, cheaply and their being more common.

Katrina should be an excellent resource for the food for thought crowd. my father and brother came back a few hours after the storm with an AK and 2 AR's. they nabbed two separate packs of welfare warriors on looting sprees until deputies arrived to take them away. this group had a couple of AR's and several AK's themselves (dad and brother are cops btw). my family was able to secure the weapons and had the S truly hit the F and the aftermath been of a longer duration, they ahd spare parts for their rifles right there.....

now as for a range gun or low use rifle, go for it. drop those ferrari triggers in your lower and have fun. just keep a GI trigger assy. around for when it goes TU. (breasts up)

boomhower
05-26-2011, 07:40
Itís about having the right tool for the right job. If your AR is a target or varmint gun, aftermarket triggers are great. If we are talking about defensive weapons, the stock trigger is the way to go.

Many would argue that.

K. Foster
05-26-2011, 19:03
Many would argue that.

Some people will argue anything.