First time with new LE6020 at the range. Funny smells? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : First time with new LE6020 at the range. Funny smells?

IndianaMatt
05-09-2011, 08:42
Took my new Colt to the range for the first time this Sunday morning. :milestone:

It was my first time shooting an AR-type rifle and man, that was a lot of fun. Thing that surprised me was how much boom comes from such a small round. I had an indoor range all to myself for a while and it sounded like someone was testing hydrogen-atom-nuclear bomb in there.

Also, I noticed like a strong acrid odor coming off the gun. Not the usual smell of gunpowder burning. Was this perhaps just the smell of the weapon breaking in, or the factory lube burning off, or some unique powder in WWB 5.56 ammo.

Accuracy was also pretty unbelievable. Off the sight I was hitting two- and three-inch groups at almost 50 feet.

Anyways, it was a lot of fun. Looking forward to breaking it down for a thorough cleaning. I love this rifle! Did you guys know what an awesome weapon this is?

IndianaMatt
05-09-2011, 08:48
Ooops. I meant to title the thead "first time with LE6920"

CarryTexas
05-09-2011, 09:12
Also, I noticed like a strong acrid odor coming off the gun. Not the usual smell of gunpowder burning. Was this perhaps just the smell of the weapon breaking in, or the factory lube burning off, or some unique powder.?

ARs have a pretty distinct smell. It's the rifle power used. I have done a ton of shooting in my life and I have only smelled that from an AR or M16. It probably has to do with the way the gas system works which the gases are released so close to your face. Other types release the gases much further from you and dissipate.

Pistols and .22's use different power and have a different smell.

glock031
05-09-2011, 10:03
Yea that gas can get nasty. The russian ammo even smells worse.

IndianaMatt
05-09-2011, 10:15
Interesting. So its not just the factory lube burning off or the paint being cooked in? The actual powder smells different, huh?

Gunnut 45/454
05-09-2011, 10:25
IndianaMatt
Man be happy you were just burning off the NEW GUN smell! Lube it up then you'll get that well used gun smell going!:supergrin: Nothing better then that warm gun smell!:cool:

bullittmcqueen
05-09-2011, 10:26
It also could have been the bolt carrier you smelled, a brand new bcg will have a metallic burning odor for a few rounds until it gets broken in.

Nutt51
05-09-2011, 10:33
Don't eat Mexican food before you go to the range next time.

Poor dog wasn't around, so you blame it on the gun.

toddmog
05-09-2011, 12:25
Yea that gas can get nasty. The russian ammo even smells worse.

I love the smell of Wolf/Tula in the morning...or afternoon! I don't think it really smells any worse than anything else. I would say it has a very distinct smell to it though.

CAcop
05-09-2011, 13:10
We once used ammo at the PD that had an ammonia smell to it. That was when our LE6920s were new. Hard to beleive we have had those things for 10 years now.

Eurodriver
05-09-2011, 15:30
Good to see a new AR owner getting a quality AR15.

You will enjoy it, and the smell...

RMTactical
05-09-2011, 16:41
Congrats!

Jack Black
05-09-2011, 16:54
I've read that it's the smell of the phosphate finish.

Captains1911
05-09-2011, 19:11
It also could have been the bolt carrier you smelled, a brand new bcg will have a metallic burning odor for a few rounds until it gets broken in.

This. I have noticed the same thing before, and it went away after the first mag.