Might Be Leaving the Blackrifle Fold [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Might Be Leaving the Blackrifle Fold

doc540
05-09-2011, 14:36
My sole purpose is defense against hurricane zombies.

I'm currently considering selling my SBR and all related accessories and supplies and simply retaining my AK-47.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/doc540/Guns/AR15/DSCN3793.jpg

vs

(once the mag is seated properly :embarassed:)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/doc540/Guns/AK47/Romanian/DSCN4286-2.jpg

These are the kinds of decisions I face these days.:dunno:

iLift45's
05-09-2011, 14:47
Big mistake!! AK's are good, but they aren't even on the same field as an AR!

KB2MBC
05-09-2011, 14:49
Ooooh! I wish I could have one!
That's a nice looking firearm, I'd ditch the AK before that beauty!

doc540
05-09-2011, 14:50
Big mistake!! AK's are good, but they aren't even on the same field as an AR!

Seems like with a good flashlight and an AK would get the job done for hurricane zombie defense.

I could spend the extra $1500 on old Colts, too. (now you understand where I'm headed with this idea). :wavey:

JBnTX
05-09-2011, 16:12
Why must you make a choice?
Why not have both guns?
Most gun owners have multiple copies of their firearms.

You will regret selling your AR-15 and when you decide to buy
another one it will cost more.

I wouldn't be too concerned about hurricane zombies, anyway.
Just head on up to the DFW area and we'll find a place for you to
hide from them.

Jack Black
05-09-2011, 16:50
I wouldn't do it, especially since you already went through the trouble of building an SBR. At the very least keep the lower so WHEN you change your mind you won't have to go through the process again.

ArmaGlock
05-09-2011, 17:05
I have never sold a gun that I didn't regret selling later. I would keep both, save up for whatever you want next. I will never sell another gun, ever.

WoodenPlank
05-09-2011, 17:27
.223/5.56 is going to be more common on the ground in many parts of the US during an outbreak of Hurricane Zombies, as will replacement parts for AR-platform rifles. The SBR would be more maneuverable for cities, etc, as well as getting into and out of vehicles. The AR lower would give you a modular platform for other calibers, as well.

doc540
05-09-2011, 18:51
I have these thoughts.

Clint-M
05-09-2011, 20:10
If you're going to sell it at least sell it to me so you can drive up to Austin and take a few shots with it when you miss it. :cool:

CM

JBnTX
05-09-2011, 20:13
I have these thoughts.

Just let them go and keep your AR rifle.

doc540
05-09-2011, 20:22
If you're going to sell it at least sell it to me so you can drive up to Austin and take a few shots with it when you miss it. :cool:

CM

:rofl:

That's some good logic right there.

tx787
05-09-2011, 21:36
It's tough, they are both such good platforms. I go through phases preferring one to the other but don't think I could go all AK or all AR. After shooting the AK I yearn for the ergonomics of the AR. After shooting the AR I yearn for the pure evil of the AK :supergrin:

doc540
05-09-2011, 21:52
It's tough, they are both such good platforms. I go through phases preferring one to the other but don't think I could go all AK or all AR. After shooting the AK I yearn for the ergonomics of the AR. After shooting the AR I yearn for the pure evil of the AK :supergrin:

If the HHTF during a hurricane again and I ever do have to deter the looting hordes, I'll probably resemble "Shelby" in the show "Ax Men", yelling and praying and spraying over the backyard fence. It won't look like anything from a gun magazine. :embarassed:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/doc540/shelby1.jpg

Captains1911
05-09-2011, 22:13
specs on both guns please.

doc540
05-09-2011, 22:22
I'm really just a hobbyist, so these spec's probably aren't presented "correctly", but here goes:

AR
Saber Defence 11.5" SBR 5.56
anti-walk pins
Magpul grip and ambi sling mount
Magpul sling
some kind of aluminum railed handguard
compact, aluminum vert grip
Streamlight TLR2
CA Aimpoint clone
Magpul and Yankee Hill BUIS
SlideFire stock (lefty) and sling mount
(I also have a bunch of mag's and ammo along with a soft case.)

AK
Romanian WASR
(I don't know squat about AK's either, but a guy I work with is an AK enthusiast and said, "If you're gonna own one, on this one". So, I snagged it for south of $500.)

What other spec's should I know about?

Captains1911
05-09-2011, 22:39
I'd sell the AK and buy a real optic for the AR, much better choice for so called "hurricane zombies"

Clint-M
05-09-2011, 23:01

That's some good logic right there.

I like to look out for my fellow Texans. Because I care. :whistling:

CM

Facejackets
05-09-2011, 23:31
Youre gonna have a hell of a time selling a lower with your trusts name to anyone. That thing is pretty much yours for life.

Why not keep both? Or sell the AK and build a second AR? Or sell the AK and buy some ammo, mags, spare parts?

If you are worried about having to bug out and carry a rifle, why would you sell the lighter, more compact of the two? You can carry almost two AR mags for every AK mag as well.

M&P15T
05-10-2011, 04:27
Emotion vrs. logic is a biotch when it comes to making decisions.

boomhower
05-10-2011, 05:28
Youre gonna have a hell of a time selling a lower with your trusts name to anyone. That thing is pretty much yours for life.

Pretty much what I was thinking. Even if it's a factory registered lower your still looking at $200 to transfer it.(your not going to find someone to pay both fees on something in that price range). In short, your not going to get enough out of it to make it worth your while. With Sabre going south I don't think your going to get $1500 for it. It's a damn good gun. Stick it in the safe until the urge hits you to start shooting it again.

jdodd
05-10-2011, 05:55
I am not into the AK scene but in my little knowledge I thought WASR's were the ones to stay away from? Various problems including canted front sights, bad mag wobble etc...?

Anyone else have input?

I would keep the SBR, you will miss it someday.

-J

doc540
05-10-2011, 07:02
There are a few unknowns which create assumptions like how much I paid for both of them, how many Texans there are with plenty of money right now, how much ammo is included, how many mag's go with the deal, and, of course, the value of that beautifully designed SlideFire stock and sling that just puts a cherry on top. :D

DieselNut
05-10-2011, 08:35
I like both rifles. If you go to the ak forum and post the same question, they'd think you're nuts not to keep the AK. I have a LMT/spikes mixture of an AR and a Hungarian AMD-65, made by FEG. I think I like the ergonomics and accuracy of the ar better, but the AK isn't much off at close distances under 100 yards. If you plan to keep the AK buy a fluted firing pin to replace your flat scrap metal fp they put in these wasr rifles. Also check your sights to make sure they're not canted. You might wanna get a tapco G2 trigger group also. I have one in my AMD and it's smoother than my spikes.

doc540
05-10-2011, 09:05
I like both rifles. If you go to the ak forum and post the same question, they'd think you're nuts not to keep the AK. I have a LMT/spikes mixture of an AR and a Hungarian AMD-65, made by FEG. I think I like the ergonomics and accuracy of the ar better, but the AK isn't much off at close distances under 100 yards. If you plan to keep the AK buy a fluted firing pin to replace your flat scrap metal fp they put in these wasr rifles. Also check your sights to make sure they're not canted. You might wanna get a tapco G2 trigger group also. I have one in my AMD and it's smoother than my spikes.

thanks

My local AK guy that found it for me said something about the firing pin and trigger group having been changed already.

I bought it from a former Marine who is a straight-up guy and said he'd gone through it and it shot accurately and dependably. He also refin'ed the wood.

faawrenchbndr
05-10-2011, 09:19
My opinion?

If I could have only one, I'd keep the Ak.
Cheap ammo, heavier hitting ammo, reliable as dirt platform.
As with any semi-auto, make sure you have some reliable magazines, & plenty of them.
Stock up on ammo, I keep an ammo can full, just for the SHTF scenerio.

DieselNut
05-10-2011, 09:40
thanks

My local AK guy that found it for me said something about the firing pin and trigger group having been changed already.

I bought it from a former Marine who is a straight-up guy and said he'd gone through it and it shot accurately and dependably. He also refin'ed the wood.

Double check with him or look yourself and see just exactly what the originals were replaced with. With whatever funds you get out of your AR, I'd invest it in a Romanian parts kit, ammo, and European steel mags.

doc540
05-10-2011, 12:25
My opinion?

If I could have only one, I'd keep the Ak.
Cheap ammo, heavier hitting ammo, reliable as dirt platform.
As with any semi-auto, make sure you have some reliable magazines, & plenty of them.
Stock up on ammo, I keep an ammo can full, just for the SHTF scenerio.

online source is having trouble processing their cc orders today

trying to buy 1260 rnds of hardball in brass

faawrenchbndr
05-10-2011, 12:40
I am an avid AR15 fan, I've been shooting thr platform since '85
I have however, parted ways with .223/.556 cartridge, my main upper is a 6.8 SPCII.

My AK is a Norinco Mak 90, would be a hard decision, but if I had to pick only one, I'd take the Mak.

GAFinch
05-10-2011, 12:55
If the rifle's gonna be used in a civil defense role, I'd much rather have an AR and some nice looking clothes on to make it clear I'm a law abiding citizen trying to maintain the peace rather than get mistaken for one of the roaming thugs armed with a Lorcin or AK.

Gunnut 45/454
05-10-2011, 13:22
Considering where you live I wouldn't get rid of either! Cause I'm sure when the current amnesty bill is defeated the Mexican hords will start flowing and more violence will come through you area!:steamed:

faawrenchbndr
05-10-2011, 13:23
If the rifle's gonna be used in a civil defense role,......

If all goes to pot that bad, looking like a good guy or bad guy will be the least of my concerns.

WoodenPlank
05-10-2011, 14:19
If the rifle's gonna be used in a civil defense role, I'd much rather have an AR and some nice looking clothes on to make it clear I'm a law abiding citizen trying to maintain the peace rather than get mistaken for one of the roaming thugs armed with a Lorcin or AK.

Maybe not the highest priorities, but a decent point.

If all goes to pot that bad, looking like a good guy or bad guy will be the least of my concerns.

IF something like that happened, and police or NG were patrolling trying to keep rioting/looting/mischief to a minimum, though, his idea might buy you enough time to tell them your intentions, instead of being shot on sight. Not the most persuasive of reasons, but it seems valid to me. I still say the biggest reasons to stay AR are parts, ammo and mags being easier to find, plus modularity.

Also, as someone else said, selling a registered SBR lower is difficult, ESPECIALLY if you did it on a Form 1. If you don't have a stamp, then maybe you shouldn't be posting pictures of it on GT.

Ruggles
05-10-2011, 14:49
Considering where you live I wouldn't get rid of either! Cause I'm sure when the current amnesty bill is defeated the Mexican hords will start flowing and more violence will come through you area!:steamed:

It's not that bad down here. Amazing what the media can portray with some stories. I am not saying there is not an issue but there are no hordes of anything flowing around here, not even mosquitoes as rain have not been very heavy this year :)

But South Texas is pretty heavily armed in case we need to be:tongueout:

TedG
05-10-2011, 15:25
I went from an AR to a few AKs, and back to ARs. I would feel comfortable with either as far as reliability and function are concerned. The tie breaker, for me, is weight and handling. My N4 is lighter and far better balanced than my SGL61. Two pounds can make a huge difference if you have to lug it around all day. If weight isn't an issue, but money is... get the AK platform. If weight is an issue, and you can afford a few more bucks... get the AR. If you have no issue with costs, get both. Also, consider an AR with a 5.45 upper and get the best of both worlds.

This is a comparison photo of my BMC/RRA and my Arsenal SGL61...

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i90/TedG954/2010-11-131.jpg

faawrenchbndr
05-10-2011, 15:35
.....IF something like that happened, and police or NG were patrolling trying to keep rioting/looting/mischief to a minimum, though, his idea might buy you enough time to tell them your intentions, instead of being shot on sight. Not the most persuasive of reasons, but it seems valid to me. I still say the biggest reasons to stay AR are parts, ammo and mags being easier to find, plus modularity.

Good points,.......however, if it's that bad, it will be like NO after Katrina.
Do ya really think smart people will not be roaming the streets with an AR or AK. :dunno:

jakebrake
05-10-2011, 15:36
just my .02 worth.

keep them both. give yourself a chance to cool off. if you sell that ar now, you will kick yourself in two weeks.

the aks are still relatively cheap(but that's subject to change), but finding one you like as much as yours may not happen again.

K. Foster
05-10-2011, 16:00
There is certainly nothing wrong with using an AK as a fighting rifle. However, I prefer the AR platform.
That said, I don’t recommend selling either one.

RMTactical
05-10-2011, 16:23
You will likely regret it, but you can always get another one later...

WoodenPlank
05-10-2011, 16:31
Good points,.......however, if it's that bad, it will be like NO after Katrina.
Do ya really think smart people will not be roaming the streets with an AR or AK. :dunno:

Depends on what brought on the emergency. Something faster and less predictable (civil unrest, tornado, earthquake) might prompt people in tighter-knit or more affluent neighborhoods to take security of that neighborhood into their own hands. If its something like Katrina, though, the smart ones probably hauled ass several days before hand. :wavey:

dc2integra
05-10-2011, 19:55
I have never sold a gun that I didn't regret selling later. I would keep both, save up for whatever you want next. I will never sell another gun, ever.
This was exactly what I was gonna say.

DJ Niner
05-11-2011, 00:29
I believe and live the phrase "The purpose of shooting is hitting."
I try to keep it in mind when making decisions of this type.

I know which one of those weapons will be quicker and easier to hit with, at virtually any distance. It can also be easily "upgraded" to many calibers (larger and smaller), including the one the other weapon fires.

Easy decision -- AR all the way.

Eurodriver
05-11-2011, 00:50
Someone tell me how well the AK platform does at 500 yards.

DieselNut
05-11-2011, 03:00
Someone tell me how well the AK platform does at 500 yards.

He's not using it for a sniper rifle

TexasPOff
05-11-2011, 03:37
Sell the upper and keep the SBR lower. You will maximize your dollar by doing it this way. Yes it will be a pain to find someone to go all out with the SBR transfer, it will be easier to sell off the top. The upper are where the money is spent on AR anyway. Plus you will still have the SBR registered lower so if you are so inclined you can build another one some day. You can do whatever you want with your lower, 20 inch SBR Carbine whatever. TXPO

doc540
05-11-2011, 15:19
I would only consider selling the AR to fund other purposeful gun projects.

pugman
05-11-2011, 15:50
Definitely sell the AR.

Pugman's address is a email or PM away.

I can have the check in the mail tomorrow for $150...I mean you plan on getting rid of anyway...why not make it a quick sale? :supergrin::supergrin:

Daekwan
05-12-2011, 07:16
Keep both. Make more money elsewhere.

TexasNativeDRJH
05-12-2011, 18:37
Ill trade your AR for my WASR and about 700 rounds of ammo. That way you can have two Hurricane rifles. Im in the Houston area

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e324/Metzger888/043011152013.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e324/Metzger888/020911233249.jpg

Ace internal block win AR folding interface
US Palm Grip
Krebs safety lever
Krebs trigger pin retainer plate
MI/US Palm handguard with a new Burris Fastfire
Tromix charging handle
KNS front sight post